Thread: Beaded seat cushion?

Hybrid View

Beaded seat cushion?

OK, after a couple of 600+ mile days for the MOA Rally, I am having a hard time sitting down. I may have to succumb to the lure of the grosse expensive aftermarket seat, but I'm soliciting opinions from those of you who ride with beaded seat cushions. They look all wrong to me, but I will remain open minded. Any comments?

I've done some 300 & 400 mile rides and found myself squirming after the first tank of gas. My current 1 up seat is a Corbin. I also have a Russell I use when 2 up. I purchased a bead seat at this years rally. I was able to ride 1000+ miles in 1 day to make it home. The beaded seat allows you to shift your weight side to side with ease. However, until you get used to the seat be careful in braking etc. I tried braking hard one time and found myself up on the tank. They are slick in the beginning so be careful. After original purchase I noticed the size was not what was needed. I rode 300 miles on the seat and took it back to the vendor and they were happy to replace it with a larger one. I have also found that riding in the heat, like at the Rally, as long as your beaded seat is wider than your Butt, you get a little air circulation under your backside. A real plus when temps go over 100 degrees. Hope this helps!

I bought one at the rally for the 1100 that my wife was riding. A companion of ours has one on her VStrom and loved it. My wife said that it made quite a difference on our ride home.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Clay
    Rode with one to Alaska(400-1000mile days) and back..works great with textile type clothing where one can really squirm around on the beads to work the 'flat spots' out..

Seat

I got a $7 Walmart seat and cut it down to size. Used some fishing line to sew the end beads back on. I like the fact I don't sweat as bad with it. Some air does get down there. Easy to move around on when butt is bothering you. I dont use it in cooler weather but I find it a life saver in this heat.
    Conclusion: How could 10,000 NYC taxi drivers be wrong.

Mine was $8.00

Quote Originally Posted by maacova View Post
    I got a $7 Walmart seat and cut it down to size. Used some fishing line to sew the end beads back on. I like the fact I don't sweat as bad with it. Some air does get down there. Easy to move around on when butt is bothering you. I dont use it in cooler weather but I find it a life saver in this heat.
    Conclusion: How could 10,000 NYC taxi drivers be wrong.
    I got mine at Walmart too. I ran monofilament line through the beads where I was going to cut it. I have not had heat rash since I installed it on top of my Sargent seat; over 3,000 miles this summer.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.