• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1600 GTL maintenance schedule?

truckdriver22

Does anyone know where I can find the BMW maintenance schedule for the 1600 GTL? This is the first motorcycle I have ever owned that did not publish a maintenance schedule in the manual.

I'd go back to your dealer and ask for it.

How do they expect you to know when to bring your bike in if you don't have this information?

Sounds like an oversight somewhere, i.e. the manual was lost when your bike was delivered.

I suspect they do say 6,000 and 12,000 mile intervals to bring it in. What appears lacking is what is supposed to be done each time.

But I bet the dealer has a whole pad of checklist sheets for that bike, just like the other models. Ask for one, then take it home or to Kinkos and laminate it.

And scan it and post it to this forum for all of us.

1600 GTL sched maint

The manual doesnt have any information in it concerning maintenance. Very odd. The next time I visit a dealer I plan to ask their maintenace dept if they can print something off for me. Assuming they have information! Most bikes have a fixed interval for routine maintenance. I agree it is aroung 6000 mile intervals. Thanks for the input.

I think some of it is use-dependent and you get a service reminder from the bike's computer system. Like a check engine light, maybe.

I think some of it is use-dependent and you get a service reminder from the bike's computer system. Like a check engine light, maybe.

From page 158 of the K1600GTL Riders Manual

BMW Service (in part)
The BMW Service is carried out once a year; the extent of servicing can vary, depending on the age of the motorcycle and the distance it has covered. ...
Riders who cover long distances in a year might have to bring in their motorcycles for service before the next scheduled date. ... The service-due indicator in the
multifunction display reminds you about one month or 1000 km in advance when the time for a service is approaching, on the basis of the programmed values.

Still, it would be nice to know when to anticipate required service... nothing like starting out of a long haul and having a "warning" light hit you two days out.

I guess that is one positive aspect of riding a 38 year old airhead ... I know when I have to service it ... continually.
09.gif

Talked to the service manager at Hermy's BMW today about it. Looks pretty much like fluid and filter changes every 6K except an engine oil change at the first 600 miles. He's thinking of checking valves at the first 16K just to see how their doing but his feeling was if it's anything like the last generation of 1200 and 1300 K bikes it's going to be a very long time until they need adjusting.

Talked to the service manager at Hermy's BMW today about it. Looks pretty much like fluid and filter changes every 6K except an engine oil change at the first 600 miles. He's thinking of checking valves at the first 16K just to see how their doing but his feeling was if it's anything like the last generation of 1200 and 1300 K bikes it's going to be a very long time until they need adjusting.

The same information was given to me at Victory BMW here in Chandler, Arizona. My Gisele, K1600GT, goes in tomorrow for her 600 mile service; price is $280. Service Department said we will see you again at 6K miles and every 6K miles after that.

Back