• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who do you blame

During the Membership survey which was conducted in early 2009 and concluded with a random focus group being surveyed at the 2009 Johnson City rally, the VAST majority of responders voted to keep the rally in July.

Chuck
How many members were surveyed in 2009?

The Rally was "HOT". I joined a large group that sought relief in the river on Friday. The group of Venders was large, varied, and appreciated by me and fellow rally attendee's. It was nice that many venders were located in air conditioned spaces. The variety of food venders and reasonable prices was also appreciated. The misting tent and sprinklers gave welcome respite from the heat and bottled water was either free or $1 depending on where you looked. Looking back, I should have stayed in the College Dorms where you could sleep comfortably, eat at a nice facility, and use a free bus to/from the fairgrounds from early morning to 11:30PM. This was only my second BMW Rally and it was unfortunate that a major unexpected heat wave would dominate much of the country and affect our National Event. The heat bothered me to the point that I left on Saturday for sunny but cooler Jacksonville, FL. In the future I will try to attend Rallies held in cooler locations or spring/late fall as I can dress for the cold or wet but cannot undress enough for the heat (without getting arrested and affecting ATGATT ). This year I volunteered 4 hours at the registration tent and will do so again. Many THANKS to those who helped set up and run this Rally, you did a GREAT JOB.

Chuck
How many members were surveyed in 2009?

A total of 300 interviews were completed from a random telephone sample of BMW MOA members, generated from a membership list provided by BMW MOA.

The margin of error for the survey was ??5.7%.

How about this as a partial solution? Why not have the rallies in locations that are at least an elevation of 2500 feet? We could leave it in July and at least enjoy cool mornings and evenings.

We Appreceiate Your Suggestions...

MildBill, that is a good idea. We ask ALL members to help us find acceptable rally sites. Unfortunately most members suggest a geographic area that does not have a venue suitable for an event our size. Please, ALL, keep on looking FOR VENUES and let us know what you find.

Ok, enough is enough... Most of us knew the weather forcast long before leaving for Pennsylvania. No one twisted our arms to make us go. It was what it was. I think most of us had a great time. I headed home at 8:00 PM on Saturday evening for 655 miles of cool riding. See ya all next year. Kenny.........:wave

How about this as a partial solution? Why not have the rallies in locations that are at least an elevation of 2500 feet? We could leave it in July and at least enjoy cool mornings and evenings.

well, this leaves out the place i just found. it's at sea level and is nice and cool in the morning, with primo breezes in the early evenings.

but it's hot in the day, even though the entire rally (minus the camping) could be held in air-conditioned indoors.

(although I personally do love some elevation....)

I thought the MOA did a great job !

Sure it was hot, but they set up sprinklers.

The grounds were kept clean, the porta jons didn't stink, the food was varied, priced reasonably and tasty.

Good entertainment, lots of vendors and a GS track.

Congratulations to all who set this up and tune out the whining !

I think you have a good idea but 2,500' might be a little to high to find places that could handle the crowd. The rally at Johnson City two years ago was 1,550' and even though it got hot (for us) during the day, the nights were cool and comfortable. I live at a little over 2,400' and I have not seen 100 since I moved here a dozen years ago.

By the way, we came home on 220 until we got to Roanoke and the day ran out. It was a very nice and comfortable ride except for the Sunday drivers on two lane roads. Took us 12 hours and 20 minutes to go 527 miles. It was only 69 miles longer than the trip to the rally on I-81. One of our group found out what a flat at 75MPH feels like before we got to Radford.

In the other clubs and associations I belong to, we have instituted a rule:

"If you have a great idea, you own it. It's sale to everyone and it's full implementation are 100% your responsibility. You are the lead, and the owner, and the point person."

It cuts down greatly on the "bright ideas" that people come up with and then think that volunteer organizations are run by a bunch of gremlins that execute other people's brilliant speeches in the dead of night.

:violin

The ideas that have validity survive, as they have a owner to start with, and gather mass through passion.

The person that wants a September National rally that badly is a future MOA president in waiting. That's the guy or gal who will will want it so badly they will run for office to get it, and create the consensus, work to over come the hurdles, and get it done.

Till then, July works for me. :dance

"If you have a great idea, you own it. It's sale to everyone and it's full implementation are 100% your responsibility. You are the lead, and the owner, and the point person."

It cuts down greatly on the "bright ideas" that people come up with and then think that volunteer organizations are run by a bunch of gremlins that execute other people's brilliant speeches in the dead of night.

:violin

The ideas that have validity survive, as they have a owner to start with, and gather mass through passion.

The person that wants a September National rally that badly is a future MOA president in waiting. That's the guy or gal who will will want it so badly they will run for office to get it, and create the consensus, work to over come the hurdles, and get it done.

Till then, July works for me. :dance

Or might work to find a site and volunteer to chair the rally.

snipped

It seems to me and some others that over the past 10 years there has been a shift in attitude within the association from a roll up your sleeves and volunteer one to a 'I'm a customer serve me' one.

I think you have a good idea but 2,500' might be a little to high to find places that could handle the crowd. The rally at Johnson City two years ago was 1,550' and even though it got hot (for us) during the day, the nights were cool and comfortable. I live at a little over 2,400' and I have not seen 100 since I moved here a dozen years ago.

By the way, we came home on 220 until we got to Roanoke and the day ran out. It was a very nice and comfortable ride except for the Sunday drivers on two lane roads. Took us 12 hours and 20 minutes to go 527 miles. It was only 69 miles longer than the trip to the rally on I-81. One of our group found out what a flat at 75MPH feels like before we got to Radford.

I rode to Martinsburg Saturday night. Considered riding through the night since it felt so much better, but it would have been 4am or so getting home. I rode the slab to Staunton on Sunday, through the woods to Clifton Forge, and back on 64 to the house. Great rides, great rally despite the heat. I hate that we never got together. Maybe we could meet for breakfast some Saturday in Tazewell?

I rode to Martinsburg Saturday night. Considered riding through the night since it felt so much better, but it would have been 4am or so getting home. I rode the slab to Staunton on Sunday, through the woods to Clifton Forge, and back on 64 to the house. Great rides, great rally despite the heat. I hate that we never got together. Maybe we could meet for breakfast some Saturday in Tazewell?

I thought the rally was great in spite of the heat (I may have felt differently if I wasn't in the air conditioned dorm). I don't ride at night because of the deer danger. A good friend's son was killed when a deer jumped into the side of him around midnight. The deer's hoof punctured his lung and the resulting accident was fatal.

Maybe we can have lunch together if you are able to come to the Back of the Dragon Day in Marion on August 20th. I live less than three miles from there.

http://backofthedragon.com/?page_id=186

It was a bit hot, but a great rally

I rode out from Denver to attend the rally, it was worth the trip and the heat to attend. It took me a bit more than the planned 2 days to get there, I simply choose to stop more often to drink and cool down, and when I arrived on friday mid-day it was a little hotter than I like, but if you needed to cool off there was always a way to get cooler. I had a side trip to make, so I set up my tent and waited till 8PM to leave for Long Island to see my daughter for a few hours,well if you think it was hot at the rally, you should have riden through NYC at 11PM....it was real hot there. I was back my mid-day on Sat. and again, it was hot but bearable. On Sunday AM I joined the exiting bikers heading west and again I choose to stop a bit more often to cool off and it took me an extra half day to get back. Total mileage was 4,000 in six and 1/2 days. The rally was extra warm but it was far from the hotest weather I saw riding there and back. I guess next year will be an easy ride for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks to all the great folks who put on a great rally.

Back