• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Indianapolis Moto GP August 26, 27 & 28

jogitu

The plan is to attend some of the festivities in Indy again this year. If you have not been Motorcycle parking is in the infield where the Indy Museum is located. General admission will be available at the gate and the infield is teaming with activity. Honda, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Ducati, HD and BMW all had tents last year. Ducati has a phenomenal setup at the GP. The garage area is turned into a vendor village and umbrella girls abound. The Service Pavillion is there with Arai. Sidi, Scorpion, AGV, Dainese, Shoei, Revit and many others are there to sale their stuff. I am leaving out a lot of vendors. The infield reminds me of the Intl Motorcycle Shows held over the winter with one difference. The only vendor there pushing cruiser stuff is HD at their tent. The vendors are there for the sport crowd. Great time to get fitted for a helmet or boots.

The crowds are not overwhelming as it is mainly bike folks and the traffic in and out is easy. Saturday is pole day and tickets are cheap if you just want to catch some beer, vendors and a little 180mph bike action. As mentioned tickets are at the gate or you could go to Indianapolis Speedway website for other options. I do not work for or have anything to do with this event but I recommend it highly. You will feel right at home on your BMW or other bike. This is one of the few events outside of a BMW rally where HD does bot dominate the scene. It is a nice change of pace.

We live three hours or so away and find turning it round trip with time for the race and other activity no big deal. Like I said, traffic is nothing for this event. Falcone BMW/Triumph is very close to the speedway and they will have some sort of event happening there to be sure. In the past the guys from RPW show up at Falcone with the all the Marsee and Helen Two Wheels stuff.

I have done all I can as a goodwill ambassador for this event. I hope to see some of you there that weekend. Look for the Polar Metallic RT and the guy on it who over married and that will be me. :wave

Im going at least two days, not sure about the actual race but Fri and Sat for sure. I only live 60 miles away so it's nothing for me to drop down there two days in a row. This is first year I have been there so I want to take it all in. By the way the AMA XR1200 harleys are running there this year and have a test on the 18th and 19th that's free.

I'll be attending for the 4th and I hope not final time. Will be riding up on Thursday and returning home on Monday.
Looking forward to it!

Yeah, it's a great event and a lot of fun. I don't like the track (it is not a great spectator track compared to Barber for example) but still, the sound, the smell of racing fuel, the ambiance...what's not to like.

I was there, what, two years ago when that big storm came through and knocked over a bunch of bikes. The RT was solid as a rock and held up fine. I parked just outside the entrance of the track.

It's a bit of a haul from Raleigh, and I'll get there sometime Saturday, see Sunday's race, and head out to Nashville for a biz meeting.

Hope it is not so hot this year.

Track Medical in Turn 1

I'll be there in Turn 1 all weekend. Look for me. I'll be wearing khaki pants and a stupid looking placard (stretchy red on white shirt that says "Medical" on it).

Stationed down on the track surface over the oval track retaining wall. Probably sitting in a Kermit chair with no back leg extensions to compensate for the banked turn.

Stop by and say 'hi' if you get a chance. :wave

Where are your favorite places to watch the race?

I like Turn 1 b/c it's at the end of the straightaway, you can actually see 6 turns and then watch on the big monitor. With binocs it's fun watching the action over on Ducati Island, too. :dance

It is still too early for any weather man or woman to be accurate but so far the weather looks as if it will be outstanding for the event. My 10 iPad weather apps certainly point in at direction. $10 for Friday and $20 for Saturday or a combo ticket for $25. I want to watch the actual race in front of my flat screen. I am really pumped about this weekend. I love the whole circus atmosphere of a race as a clown would. It says on the Indy sight that BMW will be in the garage area as a vendor. So perhaps some of the lifestyle and riding apparel will be there for sale. I can't wait to hear those bikes and smell the fuel.

Really looking forward to the Moto GP weekend, but not looking forward to the slab between the Quad Cities and Indy. Are there any diversions, even if minor, along the way?

Yikes! That is a slab. If it makes you feel any better even though it is only 3 hours from my home it is the most boring 3 hours of Indiana. Think Field of Dreams or Children of the Corn. Just think corn and lots of it with a sprinkling of soy.

Another reason to go to the Indy Moto GP

DSC02199.jpg

I'll be there in Turn 1 all weekend. Look for me. I'll be wearing khaki pants and a stupid looking placard (stretchy red on white shirt that says "Medical" on it).

Stationed down on the track surface over the oval track retaining wall. Probably sitting in a Kermit chair with no back leg extensions to compensate for the banked turn.

Stop by and say 'hi' if you get a chance. :wave

Where are your favorite places to watch the race?

I like Turn 1 b/c it's at the end of the straightaway, you can actually see 6 turns and then watch on the big monitor. With binocs it's fun watching the action over on Ducati Island, too. :dance

I seen you.

Attachments

• indy2011160.jpg
    indy2011160.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30
By the way, avoid Lafayette road. been scraped and its a mess around 38th. and they are not parking people on the backstretch this year, I was in the grass inside turn 16, glad it has been dry. There is a BMW trailer in the infield, and KTM is offering demo rides (have to have your gear.)

Back