• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The worst part of the rally.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall I had a great time at my first rally. Lots of interesting seminars and vendors.

However, I did find it odd that lots of folks in the MOA and BMWNA talk about attracting a younger demographic - and yet the only model made available for demo rides is aimed squarely at the over 50 market.

I was hoping to ride a 1000 RR.:banghead

Amen to that!! I live near 3 BMW dealers. Yet, I had hoped to get to ride some of the new, smaller BMWs with my friends and compare notes afterwards. I am simply not interested in the latest BMW version of a Goldwing. No matter how "awesome" it may be. Funny thing is that I am over 50, and the GT does NOT make my heart flutter.

P

We had a great time, enjoyed the bands, enjoyed seeing folks I've met at other events, and enjoyed the overall venue. The site seemed larger/more spread out than Johnson City, maybe because of the lower attendance, but with the camping in the outer lot, we had plenty of room. Even with the lower numbers, the lines got pretty long at the showers, seems an extra trailer or 2 would have been handy. Not sure what they cost to rent, but had another 3000 showed up as was expected, it would have beed rediculous.

The map in the book didn't really show what was happening where, might be nice to have a legend that is easier to read/find. We never did see the Farmer's Market, though I thought we pretty much wandered through the whole venue.

Any other concerns I had were already discussed. I appreciate the work that so many members put into our "Family Reunion"! A friend of mine who recently went from a HD to a '08 K1200GT is a new member and came along with us, his first MOA rally. He was impressed with the kindness showen by most everyone throughout the weekend, in spite of the heat (up until the closing ceremony). He has been to several HD related events where fights break out, etc.

Not sure I'll get out to Missouri, not because of anything negative this past weekend, just limited vacation time and money.

ps. Ardis and Voni ROCK!!

Actually there where (3) BMW dealers on site that I observed...Bob's as usual, Montgomeryville and 2Jacks
plus Pandora European Motorsports (Chattanooga, TN) was set up outside. Had boots, helmets, a couple of motorcycles set up, great conversation, etc.

Overall I had a great time at my first rally. Lots of interesting seminars and vendors.

However, I did find it odd that lots of folks in the MOA and BMWNA talk about attracting a younger demographic - and yet the only model made available for demo rides is aimed squarely at the over 50 market.

Fantastic! I was struck by the positive attitude i saw everywhere at the rally as people made the best of a HOT situation. Glad you were in the majority!

As to BMW's choice of bikes, that was out of the MOA's control. We appreciate their support for our rally but they make those expensive decisions themselves.

We've been urged to take an S1000RR demo bike for a ride at at least three different dealerships. I expect you'll find your closest dealer has one for you.

Voni
sMiling

The only thing I could not find in the program was a list of vendors. That would have helped us at a glance to see if a specific item or company was at the Rally. I was looking for someone that had "The Spot" available to look at and get some info on it.

Ya it was hot but aren't motorcyclists used to dealing with the elements and diverse weather conditions anyway? It is an outdoor sport after all.:doh

JDOCKERY132445;698578 You know which group I never heard a single whine from? The Airheads. maybe this incessant whine is a CANBUS thing?[/QUOTE said:
I think it may be that most don't have a computer. Damn Luddites.:D

I don't recall even seeing a 1000 RR ridden to the rally.

I was unable to attend the rally this year. After packing my bike I discovered a big nail in the rear tire and was unable to find a replacement tire in time to go.

However I have been attending MOA rallies since 1989 and I would like to add a couple of comments about the comments here.

1. The weather: honestly I thought the choice of central PA was a pretty well educated guess as far as the weather goes, and I can't fault the organizers on that. As for having it in a "cooler" part of the country, the heat index in Moorhead Minnesota on July 20 was 134F. You just can't outguess the weather 18 months ahead of time.

2. Closing ceremonies: over the years, the number of generous vendors donating awesome door prizes has increased. And as a consequence, MOA has been obligated to give each donor a few minutes of stage time for deserved, self-aggrandizing, pointless chit chat at the ceremonies - a necessary evil I suppose. At the older rallies there wasn't much in the way of prizes, but more rider accomplishments were mentioned - most states to the rally, longest ride, oldest dude and dudette, and on and on thru many combinations. From a pure entertainment standpoint, I think I enjoyed the Charleston ceremonies the most. It was in air conditioned splendor, but the sound system did not work and people started yelling and booing simply because they couldn't hear a thing. The MC was a bit thin-skinned for the job - he didn't realize why people were booing and he got a little short with the crowd, which only fed the fire. The TN ceremonies were long and boring, but well worth it for the aerobatic airplane display, which is a bit more upmarket than flaming cars.

Maybe the key to shortening the closing ceremony at the rally is to make a t-shirt with the names of all the donating sponsors on the back like they do at running races.

3. Music: obviously, everyone's taste is different, but I have never heard a band at a rally that struck me as anything more than average. As far as I am concerned, I would rather MOA spent the money on giving away another restored BMW instead of obligatorily hiring a band.

And even though I did not make it this year, I would like to thank all of the volunteers for their hard work under difficult conditions.

Ub

I don't recall even seeing a 1000 RR ridden to the rally.

Believe me, you don't want to ride an RR in this weather. The frame rails get hot enough to burn your legs thru leather. And even on a cool day, when you stop at a light the water temp goes up to 219.

My two cents worth:

Pros: No one could have predicted the weather, so I made the best of it with friends I like to be around.

CONS: BMW MOA NATIONAL RALLY HAS NO BUSINESS offering the gay, lesbian, transexual, bisexual community a platform of performance at the national rally. (LGTB or was it LGBT?) printed in our rally handbook for a forum in in the arena. That was what it was, wasn't it? That was what everyone around our camp space said the LGBT was, and there were many who were peeved that MOA would sponsor this.

Boos at the closing ceremonies bothered as being 'low-class'.

Scheduling the Rally to conflict w/ Vintage Motorcycle Days in Mid Ohio

Having these two major motorcycling events scheduled for the same week/weekend was the worst thing about the rally.

CONS: BMW MOA NATIONAL RALLY HAS NO BUSINESS offering the gay, lesbian, transexual, bisexual community a platform of performance at the national rally. (LGTB or was it LGBT?) printed in our rally handbook for a forum in in the arena. That was what it was, wasn't it? That was what everyone around our camp space said the LGBT was, and there were many who were peeved that MOA would sponsor this.

Perhaps they should have scheduled a bigots' meeting at the same time.

For me, the most distressing part of the rally was to hear so many people in the crowd booing Vance, during the closing ceremony.

What many of you probably do not realize is that Vance was working from sunrise til way past dark every day of that rally, handling "Logistics" with Stan Herman. They arrived on Sunday and didn't leave until the following Sunday. These two were running ragged, handling so many vital facets that I am not sure how they managed it.

And so, from my perspective ... there was Vance, just doing his damnedest to make it a better, safer event for everyone... and he was booed while he was trying to emcee the closing ceremony. He had no control over the content and who was going to speak and how long they were going to talk ...

What a great way to discourage a phenomenal volunteer.

Don't even bother wasting your time. I've been trying to get the religious nuts banned for over two decades but they still keep letting them in, even giving them space to practice their weird rituals. Creeps me out even knowing they are around, that anyone could be one of them. But what are you going to do? I just keep an eye out for them and if I see someone that has "that look" well I just turn and go the other direction. There is just no place for that kind at our rallies.

[Note: For further reading, please see "The Art of Satire"]

My two cents worth:

Pros: No one could have predicted the weather, so I made the best of it with friends I like to be around.

Boos at the closing ceremonies bothered as being 'low-class'.

That's what it was. I couldn't agree more!

Don't even bother wasting your time. I've been trying to get the religious nuts banned for over two decades but they still keep letting them in, even giving them space to practice their weird rituals. Creeps me out even knowing they are around, that anyone could be one of them. But what are you going to do? I just keep an eye out for them and if I see someone that has "that look" well I just turn and go the other direction. There is just no place for that kind at our rallies.

[Note: For further reading, please see "The Art of Satire"]

:rofl

Someone posted above regarding the rally handbook. I was thrilled when I saw what they were handing out at registration. An extremely well done professional rally handbook with a boat load of useful information.

Let's not forget that the tentative schedule was posted in the latest ON. However, the sheer comprehensiveness of the schedule made it almost difficult to find something. 4 days or so of events and seminars and meets and meetings covering 9+ pages of the magazine means that something's going to be overlooked for sure. Some color coding of event types - Technical, Travel/Tour, Administrative, Model Specific, etc etc would be a good idea. Likewise, removing the recurring administrative events and showing them once with "office hours"? It wasn't necessary to list ice sales from 8 am to 9 pm every day or the Daily raffle drawing every day, twice a day or that the beer tent was open 11 a to 12 a each day. A single block with:

• Ice Sales 8a -9p Th - Sa
  • Daily Raffle Drawings 10a, 2p Th - Sa
  • Pin and Patch Table 8a - 6p Th - Sa
  • Registration Open 8a - 8p Th - Sa
  • etc...
You get the idea. That pairs down the daily lists considerably. Then organize it by topic.

I did a search of the online July ON and couldn't find Jack Riepe's name in the schedule of events. I don't have my rally handbook handy so I don't know where it showed up there.
My point being that finding something I DID want to go to was not as easy as it could have been given the sheer number of events available.

Some color coding of event types - Technical, Travel/Tour, Administrative, Model Specific, etc etc would be a good idea.

Great idea - would really make going through these much easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back