• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The worst part of the rally.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenike

Please post what you would change about the rally, if you could. Constructive criticism can be used to continue improving the National Rally for it's members.
Having better weather is a given!

I would like to see a used parts area again..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...

My 2 cents,

Rally sites that are cooler in July like north and or higher elevation. Also not to have flame throwing cars at closing gig. I will not come to a rally with heat warnings in the forecast again ...

Charlie

I would like to see a used parts area again..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...

I heard there is an issue with PA in that a business license is required, and although not impossible to get, not worth the effort for small used parts vendors.

I do not know of a special business liscense in Pa...As a Pa. resident, I go to many bike events and I see used parts at other events..As for new dealers, I am shure they have what is needed to do business from place to place..

Volunteer Shifts in the Heat

I volunteer every time I go to the MOA Rally. I usually will work the gates. I did more than one session this year, but not all on the gates.

IMHO, 2 hour shifts, especially in blistering, record breaking heat would be much more attractive to volunteers. 4 hours on the gate, in the heat was miserable.

The shuttle driver and safety were only 3 hours...

I understand the difficulty getting folks to volunteer. I think if it was more attractive (less than 4 hours) y'all may get a few more volunteers.

By the time we signed up for the gates on Saturday, 5 or so folks had backed out of the 10am to 2pm shift and only 1 or 2 people were signed up for the rest of the day...

I just think shorter shifts would help...

That is my $.02

It's a sales tax license. It's no big deal to obtain. Unfortunately, the PA Dept. of Revenue regional offices watch for events like these and require vendors to comply. An occasional vendor selling his own stuff is exempt, like a flea market. The real PITA is driving up prices by 6%.

As to the cars on the race track, I cannot believe they are dragging a classic '63-'64 Buick Riviera!

Fred

The only negative I remember is one volunteer in a golf cart who was extremely gruff, rude, and every time I saw him, he was yelling about...or at...rally goers and vendors. I noticed him on several days. However, EVERY other volunteer I met was extremely friendly and helpful, even though they were just as hot as we were.

A location with more shade would be appreciated by all.

I heard a number of questions about the water faucets in various locations, people wondering if they had potable water.

The choice of food from the vendors was excellent!

..Also more than just one BMW dealer allowed to set up and sell new stuff...Where was MaxBMW? I remember when there was three or more dealers at these rallys...

Actually there where (3) BMW dealers on site that I observed...Bob's as usual, Montgomeryville and 2Jacks

My only negatives are directed more at BMW Corporate than the MOA whom I thought did a great job at this rally.

1. Why only bring the new GT and GTL's for demo's? Yes they are new game changing models, but not everyone is interested in one. I asked a BMW employee about this and was told that they wanted to make a big splash with the new model and they had a strong demo program at the local dealers for the other models. That is all well and good, but what about those folks who live 100+ miles from a dealer or don't have a dealer in their state? Do you really expect them to drive hours for a demo and then have the dealer ask, "What can I do to put you on this bike today?" The rally is a perfect way to demo without pressure especially if you are not quite ready for a new bike, but just thinking about it. I think Paul Thorn summed it up nicely by saying, "I think BMW is stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime." Which brings me to.....

2. Why did BMW schedule thier event opposite one of the main music events, Paul Thorn? He is a crittically acclaimed national touring act and deserved better. There were several local "cover" bands that could have been scheduled opposite and no one would have cared. But Paul is a top draw, which is why he has been asked to perform for us 3 years in a row now. I did hear that German party band early on as I was camped on the other side of the fence and they sure sounded like fun, but they are a party band for folks to party to. OTOH, Paul is a serious artist with a top notch band and deserved to have his portion of the entertainment schedule to himself. Everyone seemed to agree with Paul when he made that above statement!

Otherwise a GREAT rally!

Rick G

The worst part of the rally is that IT'S OVER and we won't see that group of friends again for so long. It was so close to home for us this year that it felt like it was done almost before it started...sigh.

While the heat was troublesome to many, there is nothing that can be done. No sense complaining about it. When it became unbearable, you just had to find some AC or some other way to deal with it. I hear the swimming hole was worth the trip across the fair grounds but never made it there.

I have to disagree. There is something to be done about it. As suggested in earlier posts, move the rally to a location that has very little chance of 95 degree heat in July. Or a venue with a large enough building to house all the vendors and sufficient A/C power to maintain less than 80 degrees inside.
There was nowhere to go to cool down. The buildings housing some of the vendors was barely tolerable. I don't know if the A/C units were broken or just overwhelmed. But something needed to be done, more fans brought in would have helped. I couldn't bare the heat long enough to even shop the outdoor vendors.
As you can see by my member # I'm a noob to the MOA but not to motorcycling or rallying. And I'm not generally a cry baby. This was my first MOA rally and I think I would have enjoyed it very much if not for the unbearable heat / humidity.
But as it was I had absolutely no fun and packed up and left Sat. morning. I saw several others doing the same thing.
I know The MOA can not predict the weather a year in advance and you can never please everyone, but you can increase the odds with more northerly or higher elevation venue or a spring or fall date.

Yes it Was Hot

Yes it was hot but only when we get full control over the weather/climate can we compalin to the organizers, until then they deserver our thanks for dealing with the heat as best they could. Besides it could have been raining all week.

I had a good time and am looking forward to next year.

the worst part of the rally is that it's over and we won't see that group of friends again for so long. It was so close to home for us this year that it felt like it was done almost before it started...sigh.

+1

My only negatives are directed more at BMW Corporate than the MOA whom I thought did a great job at this rally.

1. Why only bring the new GT and GTL's for demo's? Yes they are new game changing models, but not everyone is interested in one. I asked a BMW employee about this and was told that they wanted to make a big splash with the new model and they had a strong demo program at the local dealers for the other models. That is all well and good, but what about those folks who live 100+ miles from a dealer or don't have a dealer in their state? Do you really expect them to drive hours for a demo and then have the dealer ask, "What can I do to put you on this bike today?" The rally is a perfect way to demo without pressure especially if you are not quite ready for a new bike, but just thinking about it. I think Paul Thorn summed it up nicely by saying, "I think BMW is stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime." Which brings me to.....

2. Why did BMW schedule thier event opposite one of the main music events, Paul Thorn? He is a crittically acclaimed national touring act and deserved better. There were several local "cover" bands that could have been scheduled opposite and no one would have cared. But Paul is a top draw, which is why he has been asked to perform for us 3 years in a row now. I did hear that German party band early on as I was camped on the other side of the fence and they sure sounded like fun, but they are a party band for folks to party to. OTOH, Paul is a serious artist with a top notch band and deserved to have his portion of the entertainment schedule to himself. Everyone seemed to agree with Paul when he made that above statement!

Otherwise a GREAT rally!

Rick G

I totally agree with what Paul said. Sadly,( for obvious reasons ) it'll probably be the last time he performs at a MOA rally!

Yes it was hot but only when we get full control over the weather/climate can we compalin to the organizers, until then they deserver our thanks for dealing with the heat as best they could. Besides it could have been raining all week.

I had a good time and am looking forward to next year.

x2 or have had a freak late/early snow storm

I guess a combination of the extreme heat and rooms with no air-conditioning made for a disappointing experience. I was glad to have accommodations at BU. Each room with it's own AC Unit was sweet.

While discussing with the wife on the way back (new helmets and intercom) we were wondering why there appeared to be a lack of a back-up plan for this type of weather event. Heat waves are not uncommon in the north-east in July. Best to have a plan and execute then let the events take over. Should there be provisions for "cool rooms" so that participants can get a reprieve from the heat. Maybe. Do we have the stats for how many participants required medical assistance (1st aid, ER). How many vendors required those same services. Should the organizers go into "emergency mode" and when.

I trust that the MOA will do a postmortem on this event and come up with a better understanding on running an event of such magnitude. I realize that this was the 39th but the dynamics from the first 25 and now (read much older clientele, persons with respiratory illnesses and other) requires/demands special consideration.

Good luck.

PS: The wandering orange water containers were nice but frustrating as sometimes they were there. Sometimes not.

PPS: Please ensure that the hoses attached to the water spouts are rated for "food use" .

How about waiting until the week before the rally and choosing the rally site based on the latest weather forecast? All you can do is play the odds on the weather and try to find a location that people will come to for great riding, and oh by the way, have a facility that can handle 6 to 10 thousand people!

As a potential option, I would support a fall rally or a rally in a higher elevation if held in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back