• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 Rally- Sedalia, MO

have you considered renting an RV?

this could be an excellent group buy opportunity.

ian

Actually Ian's got a great idea for those who are heat-averse. From the looks of things there will be MORE than adequate hook-ups for folks looking for refuge from the heat at a hot rally.

Truth be told, there's a pretty decent chance that we'll attend the 2012 rally by camper hauling the bikes because I can adjust my annual 3-week vacation to include going to the rally and then on to San Antonio to visit friends. With hook-ups right at the fairgrounds, my camper will be cool all the time, even with the outside temp gets to over 100. I have a friend with a 2-up motorcycle trailer so, as I think more about Sedalia, the more excited I get.

Yes, its been that way since the day my wife and I returned from Bloomsburg. And unlike the Rallies in Johnson City, Redmond and Bloomsburg, there is not much in the way of nearby cities. That pretty much means that I will miss the rally for the first time since I picked up my LT.

Its like the MOA staff and those who knew ahead of time snapped up what few rooms there were in the area. Or there are enough construction projects that nobody from the Rally will be at the HI and Comfort Inn. This makes me wonder if Sedalia, MO was such a great choice. My wife and I are a bit past our camping on the ground years and its a real shame as this would have been the second rally that was close enough to ride to in a day.

Well, I guess they don't like critics; its just sour grapes at missing the 2012 Rally for lack of services this far in advance.

Darn shame.

+1, it is a shame. I thought I would introduce my wife to a national rally, but she would prefer to stay in a hotel, especially since the potential for high heat and humidity exists. I'll of course keep checking and perhaps there will be a cancellation.

+1, it is a shame. I thought I would introduce my wife to a national rally, but she would prefer to stay in a hotel, especially since the potential for high heat and humidity exists. I'll of course keep checking and perhaps there will be a cancellation.

Friends,
Every year the MOA reserves about 70 rooms for the rally. These rooms are set aside for the committee chairs and staff, many of whom arrive at the rally by Monday, work 16-hours-a-day throughout the rally, and don't leave until Sunday afternoon.

Another example: Some of the rooms are usually reserved for the entertainment, who require hotel rooms as a part of their contracts. If the audio/visual or sound & lighting people come from out of the area, they may also require lodging as part of their contracts.

If you consider that one of the requirements for a rally site is that there needs to be 1500 - 2000 rooms within 30 miles, setting aside 70 rooms for the key volunteers and staff should not make that much of an impact.

Most of your board members will be camping on site in our tents, with our brothers and sisters.

True Story: When I chaired Lima, one of the attendees created all kinds of havoc because he could not reserve a room at the Hampton. I had set all of their rooms aside for the MOA. The Hampton called me, and I called him to try to settle the problem. Imagine my surprise when he told me that he already had rooms reserved at two other motels, but wanted to also reserve at the Hampton. He said he always does this, and then when he gets to town for the rally, he decides which place he likes the best, and cancels the other two.​

Thanks for taking a moment and looking at it from a different vantage point. I suspect you are right when you say you may be able to get a room due to a cancellation.

Friends,
Every year the MOA reserves about 70 rooms for the rally. These rooms are set aside for the committee chairs and staff, many of whom arrive at the rally by Monday, work 16-hours-a-day throughout the rally, and don't leave until Sunday afternoon.

Another example: Some of the rooms are usually reserved for the entertainment, who require hotel rooms as a part of their contracts. If the audio/visual or sound & lighting people come from out of the area, they may also require lodging as part of their contracts.

If you consider that one of the requirements for a rally site is that there needs to be 1500 - 2000 rooms within 30 miles, setting aside 70 rooms for the key volunteers and staff should not make that much of an impact.

Most of your board members will be camping on site in our tents, with our brothers and sisters.

True Story: When I chaired Lima, one of the attendees created all kinds of havoc because he could not reserve a room at the Hampton. I had set all of their rooms aside for the MOA. The Hampton called me, and I called him to try to settle the problem. Imagine my surprise when he told me that he already had rooms reserved at two other motels, but wanted to also reserve at the Hampton. He said he always does this, and then when he gets to town for the rally, he decides which place he likes the best, and cancels the other two.​

Thanks for taking a moment and looking at it from a different vantage point. I suspect you are right when you say you may be able to get a room due to a cancellation.

Dfferent story here: Had a room reserved for over eight months at Gillett for the rally. ONE week before the rally the hotel/motel called me and told me my reservation was cancelled due to MOA staff needed more rooms. Needless to say I called the manager and MOA to no avail. No other rooms were available on such a short notice in Gillett. As a result I was pissed to say the least and did not attend.

Jack

Dfferent story here: Had a room reserved for over eight months at Gillett for the rally. ONE week before the rally the hotel/motel called me and told me my reservation was cancelled due to MOA staff needed more rooms. Needless to say I called the manager and MOA to no avail. No other rooms were available on such a short notice in Gillett. As a result I was pissed to say the least and did not attend.

Jack

With all due respect for those of you in the hospitality industry, that wouldn't be the first time that a hotel/motel manager mis-managed their reservations and then decided to throw the MOA under the bus rather than take responsibility. There was a nasty incident at the Redmond Rally. Most of you never hear about these things, but it's all a part of what goes on behind the scenes.

The MOA books less than 4% of the available rooms for the people who make the rally happen wherever we have a rally. That block of rooms is locked down well in advance of the announcement of that site. Yet. somehow we are the reason so many people can't get a room or get bumped. I'm confused. :scratch

With all due respect for those of you in the hospitality industry, that wouldn't be the first time that a hotel/motel manager mis-managed their reservations and then decided to throw the MOA under the bus rather than take responsibility. There was a nasty incident at the Redmond Rally. Most of you never hear about these things, but it's all a part of what goes on behind the scenes.

The MOA books less than 4% of the available rooms for the people who make the rally happen wherever we have a rally. That block of rooms is locked down well in advance of the announcement of that site. Yet. somehow we are the reason so many people can't get a room or get bumped. I'm confused. :scratch

What "confusion?"

How the MOA / Rally staff handles their accomodations is above board (no pun intended to 'board' members) and is not the problem.

Price gouging and the occasional hicup in ethical behavior on the part of the hospitality industry accounts for last-minute grief when it comes to secruing / retaining rooms at rally sites.

Wish that were not so, but as faithful members, we soldier on.

Greg, the hotel did not throw the MOA under the bus. When I called the MOA office after I was cancelled they admitted that they did not book enough rooms and needed to have more so all the staff could stay at the same hotel. This was done only one week before the Rally. Shame on the MOA and the way this was handled. I was the one thrown under the bus by the MOA not the hotel.

Jack

Greg, the hotel did not throw the MOA under the bus. When I called the MOA office after I was cancelled they admitted that they did not book enough rooms and needed to have more so all the staff could stay at the same hotel. This was done only one week before the Rally. Shame on the MOA and the way this was handled. I was the one thrown under the bus by the MOA not the hotel.

Jack

Oh,OH!

If true, "Lucy...you've got some 'splaining to do!"

Oh,OH!

If true, "Lucy...you've got some 'splaining to do!"

i have watched this thread for approx the past week and since there has been no response defending the alleged actions i would have to say that the board is "guilty as charged" if this is not the case then lets hear there side, but the deafening silence on there part does not cast them in a favorable light.

i have watched this thread for approx the past week and since there has been no response defending the alleged actions i would have to say that the board is "guilty as charged" if this is not the case then lets hear there side, but the deafening silence on there part does not cast them in a favorable light.

Seriously? So what you are implying is that the conversation between someone from the MOA and the hotel manager might have gone something like this:

Hotel: Hello. Redmond Plywood Ranch Hotel

MOA: Hi, this is xxxxxxx from the BMW MOA.

Hotel: Oh, Hi xxxxxxx. How are your preparations going for the rally? We're excited about having you folks come to Redmond and we're going to roll out the red carpet!

MOA: Everything is falling into place nicely. Except that I don't think we reserved enough rooms for the Rally volunteer staff. Do you have anything left out of the xxx that we blocked off?

Hotel: Oh no. Ummmmm.... I'm afraid we're booked up solid. We've had calls all week about rooms and really there are only a couple that the general public have reserved. Your membership has the rest. There are always going to be cancellations, I could call you if.....

MOA: Dammit. Well, we need those rooms. Why don't you go ahead and cancel the reservations of a couple of our members. We're a hearty bunch, we ride BMWs. They won't mind sleeping under their bikes on the ground. Yeah, I think that would be best. Just go ahead and cancel those reservations.

:stick

Last edited:

Seriously, how many times and how many ways does it have to be explained that the Board works through communication with us in many channels that do NOT include coming to the forum and getting beaten up?

Voni

sigh ....

And this, my friends, is why so many of the board members don't even READ the forum. :banghead

From my foggy memory:
First, a message to Jack: On behalf of the board, let me apologize if you were one of the people affected by the major room-reservation snafu in Redmond. I am apologizing - not because the MOA did anything wrong, but because it is what people do in a polite society, expressing their sympathies when something happens out of everyone's control, resulting in an unfortunate experience for a friend.

Briefly (if I recall correctly) -- the host hotel in Redmond had a personnel switch in early 2010 resulting with information & contracts not transferred at their level. This resulted in rooms being double booked by the hotel. The MOA was not a player in this until very close to the rally dates, when the problem was brought to light. At that time, the signed contract was sent to the hotel & the MOA staff moved heaven and earth to try to accommodate everyone. It sounds like Jack's reservation was one that could not be fixed/saved/corrected.

Board member hat off:
Why are you always assuming the worst about us? Jeez-Oh-Pete ... give it a rest, will ya?
Board member hat back on.

You many have been watching this thread but not the calender. Jack posted his reply stating the MOA office said they took some rooms late the evening of Sept. 2nd. That was Friday night of a three-day holiday weekend and there was no opportunity to follow up on this until yesterday. Unfortunately, Tuesday was booked for me, but I do intend to investigate and report back to Jack.

My gosh...if I go to the rally in Missouri, the last place I'd want to be is in a hotel room. You miss all the action, to be sure. I've seen too many hotel rooms. I wanna be where the bikes are. I'm sure it will be hot and miserable that time of year, but so what. I go to Antique bike rallies in all kinds of nasty, hot weather, and no one complains. The focus is on the bikes...I didn't go to Redmond, but did hear about the SNAFU with the hotel rooms. Stuff happens. Focus...bikes...focus...comraderie...focus...another great rally to tell tales about.

My gosh...if I go to the rally in Missouri, the last place I'd want to be is in a hotel room. You miss all the action, to be sure. I've seen too many hotel rooms. I wanna be where the bikes are. I'm sure it will be hot and miserable that time of year, but so what. I go to Antique bike rallies in all kinds of nasty, hot weather, and no one complains. The focus is on the bikes...I didn't go to Redmond, but did hear about the SNAFU with the hotel rooms. Stuff happens. Focus...bikes...focus...comraderie...focus...another great rally to tell tales about.

Well said, Weasel. I didn't go to Bloomsburg, but did go to Redmond. My first National. It was hot in the daytime. I finished the Redmond 1000 in the early afternoon, and after the adrenalin rush HAD to sleep, at about 3 pm in my tent in the blazing sun. It was Bloomsburg hot in there, I'm sure. But like you, it's about the experience. Being around bikes, and riders who are my peers. And there's things that happen at a rally you just can't get anywhere else. Here's some of the examples of what I experienced. I received a hug from THE Voni Glaves at the Redmond 1000 bash when she found out I was a first time attendee. I got to say hi to Matt Parkhouse and tell him how much I appreciate the Keep Em Flying articles. I got to volunteer in the vintage display. I got drunk and shut down the beer tent one night. I got to see a beautiful example of the Milky Way right overhead at about 3 am. Lemons= lemonade for me. I'm sorry I missed Bloomsburg. If the planets align I'll be in Sedalia and gladly share a beer with you, and anyone else who's getting sick of rally bashing. Folks, the rally committee, chairs and volunteers give up their valuable time for us to enjoy ourselves. I, for one, am grateful for their efforts.

Seriously, how many times and how many ways does it have to be explained that the Board works through communication with us in many channels that do NOT include coming to the forum and getting beaten up?

Voni

we have two board members that have been commenting in this thread as they see fit. when asked to comment on the alleged actions about some motel rooms they become silent and the old school members defend them with statements like the one i quoted above. i'm sorry but you can't have it both ways, if you do not want to discuss club business on the forums then don't, but don't make comments one min and then use the silent approach because "we don't' discuss cub business on the forums" the next.

as a relatively new member to the MOA it is my understanding that the club is seeking ways to attract new members. you can't have new members come in and expect everything to be status quo. new members mean changes, whether that is when the rally is held or how the board conducts business, but change is inevitable.

some (perhaps many) may think i am a royal PIA with my posts but i assure you if i did not care so much about this organization i would not be posting and questioning things the way i do. i want to see the MOA grow and prosper in the coming years and, perhaps to the dismay of many, that means i post on issues i feel are important. you don't have to agree with me but at least be open to holding an intelligent conversation on topics that to many members, myself included, are important.

we have two board members that have been commenting in this thread as they see fit. when asked to comment on the alleged actions about some motel rooms they become silent and the old school members defend them with statements like the one i quoted above. i'm sorry but you can't have it both ways, if you do not want to discuss club business on the forums then don't, but don't make comments one min and then use the silent approach because "we don't' discuss cub business on the forums" the next.

What are you wanting them to say? Have you considered the possibility that they may not actually KNOW what happened or why? Also consider that Sue HAS commented on her admittedly vague recollection of events and the President of the MOA has taken your issue and agreed to follow up on it.

How much more feedback do you want?

It's like talking to the "lets move the date to September and pick different venues" crowd. No matter how many times the date and locale criteria are laid out, unless someone from the MOA says "Ok, we're doing it in September someplace cool" the same questions keep getting asked.:banghead:banghead

While you guys were all arguing I just booked a room with two queen beds for $99 a night less than 10 minutes from the rally.

Just saying.

While you guys were all arguing I just booked a room with two queen beds for $99 a night less than 10 minutes from the rally.

Just saying.

In fairness to Jack's unfortunate situation from last year, the "proof in the pudding" will be if your $99 reservation is still there next July.

Just saying.

Back