• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2012 Rally- Sedalia, MO

Oh, and BTW, I hunt every year at my friends ranch down in Stover, a few miles from the rally site. Deer are freak'n EVERYWHERE! Be careful. Even more so than PA as these deer have not figured out the relationship between roads and vehicles.

This is so true! The only deer I have hit was over forty years ago on Hwy 135 not far from Stover when I was living at the lake.

It will be 106 degrees tomorrow (Aug. 2) in Sedalia. Actual temperature, not the heat index. Heat index will be 113.

The forecast for today in Bloomsburg is 88 and sunny, low of 65. Tomorrow high of 75, low 62.

We just hit an unusually hot few days there.

I'll be in Sedalia next year.

i will not preregister for another rally, ever. if the weather is good and not 112 in the shade, i'll go. although i enjoyed every national i've been to, there is nothing there that makes riding day in and day out in 95+ degree weather worth it for me.

Sheeesh!
I'd be happy to ride in 95 degree weather.
105 here today.

Well, yes it will be hot! It is in JULY! Can anyone remember a cold rally?? I will be there and the coffee will be hot and strong!
According to my wife this is a little like childbirth. After a while you forget the pain and are ready to do it again! Come on guys and gals - we are not the Rolex riders!:rocker

Rapid City.....cold and rainy!!!

A friend asked me to post this:

Voni I don't think I can post on BMWMOA yet, but i checked this out online today about the Sedalia fairgrounds... It appears there are 9 bathrooms and 7 showers in the designated campgrounds. There appears to be 9 buildings with AC. If you could post this it may qualm some fears. I know the planners are working on the Hotel situation. See you there.

http://www.mostatefair.com/documents/fr_Facilities-Rate-Card.pdf

Michael J Mans

Definitely!

Voni
sMiling

Last edited:
Terry & I had the pleasure working the 2012 Sedilia Booth with Connie Smith the Executive Director of the Sedalia Area Chamber of Commerce.
Connie told us of the many air conditioned buildings and shade trees as well as permanently dedicated misting stations.

See you all in mo. for the record, i will never pre register again since i had to pay twice once pre and then again at the rally cuz they couldnt find it.

Richard, Sherry, Richard II and David Ploeger.

Please contact the Office to see if they can find your on-line registration and straighten this out for you.

A friend asked me to post this:

Voni I don't think I can post on BMWMOA yet, but i checked this out online today about the Sedalia fairgrounds... It appears there are 9 bathrooms and 7 showers in the designated campgrounds. There appears to be 9 buildings with AC. If you could post this it may qualm some fears. I know the planners are working on the Hotel situation. See you there.

http://www.mostatefair.com/doc&#8203...ard​.pdf

Michael J Mans

Definitely!

Voni
sMiling

I hope that refers to "facilities" and not "fixtures" :scratch

A more useful number would be the actual fixture count - urinals, water closets, etc.

Marion, Ark. Cool, brezzy, fair to partly cloudy mild 80's temps. Absolutely gorgeous. And if you believe that, I've got some Ocean front property here to sell ya. :wow

I hope that refers to "facilities" and not "fixtures" :scratch

A more useful number would be the actual fixture count - urinals, water closets, etc.

the link was broken for me, so I reversed engineered it.

here are the facilities at the fairgrounds in sedalia, mo

the campgrounds sound great for RVs.... tons of hookups and "9 restrooms; 7 showers; 4 dump stations"

still not a lot of clarity as to whether that is 9 buildings or 9 toilets.

but it does say that there are a goodly number of buildings with AC and restrooms.

Over 5000 Sedalia/Missouri info packets were given out at the Bloomsburg rally. Not surprised motels are going fast. There are over 2500 rooms within a 35 mile radius of the grounds.

Hotel Bothwell

As mentioned above, Hotel Bothwell has rooms and they are taking reservations for the Rally.

According to their website, they're 3.4 miles from the Fairgrounds.

If you're trying to make reservations at one of the major brands of hotels, sometimes it pays to call them directly and speak to the manager.

Pa was my first Rally and other than the heat, I had a great time.

349 days til the next family reunion. Heat or no heat, I plan on being there.

C

the link was broken for me, so I reversed engineered it.

here are the facilities at the fairgrounds in sedalia, mo

the campgrounds sound great for RVs.... tons of hookups and "9 restrooms; 7 showers; 4 dump stations"

still not a lot of clarity as to whether that is 9 buildings or 9 toilets.

but it does say that there are a goodly number of buildings with AC and restrooms.

I would like to request the GS Giants and Gypsy Tour be stationed at the Sheep Pavilion. T-shirts with :
Sedalia ,MO.
Where Giants are Giants
And Sheep are Nervous

would be funny.:laugh:laugh:laugh

The Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn appear to be sold out for the rally dates. Hotel Bothwell still has rooms available as of today.

Not preregistering may be a good personal decision but if is done by a lot of members, it will throw a monkey wrench in rally preparations. If the preregistrations are low and a lot of unregistered people show up because the weather is good, there won't be enough supplies or facilities to handle all of the people. It puts the committee in a no win situation. If they plan for the preregistered members plus the nornal number of unregistered folks and they come up short because of a large turnout, they will be criticized. If they prepare for a large number of unregistered members and they don't show up due to the weather, they will be criticized for wasting club money.

Actually that's not quite correct.

When I co-chared the Vermont rally our budget (like all rally budgets) had to have a break even point of 4,500 in attendance, regardless of pre-reg numbers.

As we was expecting at least 8,000 (almost double) but couldn't budget for 8,000 (think porta potties and such) all the service contracts had clauses indicating what would happen as we went from the budgeted attendance up to 10,000. It worked out very well, we had twice a day meetings and added equipment as late as Friday morning.

The point is every rally is budgeted to break even at a set number that is pretty low and every rally chair needs to be ready to "ramp up" as the rally grows.

For me if I can go I'll pre-register. I always pre-reg as it gets me through the line much faster and I don't have to mess around with filling out forms in a hot tent after a long ride. I see it as a bet. Once I know I can take the time, I'm willing to bet 30 bucks that I'll show up, vs not pre-registering and bet more money that it will be cool enough, plus the whole fill out the form and wait in a longer line thing.

Actually that's not quite correct.

When I co-chared the Vermont rally our budget (like all rally budgets) had to have a break even point of 4,500 in attendance, regardless of pre-reg numbers.

As we was expecting at least 8,000 (almost double) but couldn't budget for 8,000 (think porta potties and such) all the service contracts had clauses indicating what would happen as we went from the budgeted attendance up to 10,000. It worked out very well, we had twice a day meetings and added equipment as late as Friday morning.

The point is every rally is budgeted to break even at a set number that is pretty low and every rally chair needs to be ready to "ramp up" as the rally grows.

For me if I can go I'll pre-register. I always pre-reg as it gets me through the line much faster and I don't have to mess around with filling out forms in a hot tent after a long ride. I see it as a bet. Once I know I can take the time, I'm willing to bet 30 bucks that I'll show up, vs not pre-registering and bet more money that it will be cool enough, plus the whole fill out the form and wait in a longer line thing.

I was talking about the stuff that is rally specific like the mugs, t-shirts, patches and such and not the number of attendees to make the rally profitable. If the pre-registrations are much lower than normal, I would think the committee would
anticipate fewer attendees and would purchase rally specific supplies based on that figure. If the attendance turns out to be larger than planned for, the last arrivers might not get their stuff. If the committee anticipates far more attendees than the pre-registration suggests and they do not show up, there would be a lot of patches, mugs, etc. that would have to be thrown away.

I was talking about the stuff that is rally specific like the mugs, t-shirts, patches and such and not the number of attendees to make the rally profitable. If the pre-registrations are much lower than normal, I would think the committee would
anticipate fewer attendees and would purchase rally specific supplies based on that figure. If the attendance turns out to be larger than planned for, the last arrivers might not get their stuff. If the committee anticipates far more attendees than the pre-registration suggests and they do not show up, there would be a lot of patches, mugs, etc. that would have to be thrown away.

True but in the grand scheme of a rally budget a 30% overage on mugs, pins and patches would likely be around 2% of the total rally cost.

The key number from Bloomsburg is what is the percentage of pre-registered that didn't show. If you had that number you could take a pretty educated guess at how many people would have been there if it had not been so hot.

Not preregistering may be a good personal decision but if is done by a lot of members, it will throw a monkey wrench in rally preparations. If the preregistrations are low and a lot of unregistered people show up because the weather is good, there won't be enough supplies or facilities to handle all of the people. It puts the committee in a no win situation. If they plan for the preregistered members plus the nornal number of unregistered folks and they come up short because of a large turnout, they will be criticized. If they prepare for a large number of unregistered members and they don't show up due to the weather, they will be criticized for wasting club money.

How do the Falling Leaf Rally folks do it with no reservations?

Back