• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2012 Rally- Sedalia, MO

waddyp

Just checked current weather in Sedalia (Nat.l Rally is always 3rd wk July), whew- thanks but no thanks! Its hot enough in the upper midwest. Maybe I'll see you in 2013...

Don't need more critics, thanks.

Our hard working volunteers deserve better than this year, and they will get it in Missouri.

We do need more air conditioning. Sedalia has that and more. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the facilities.

We'll miss you, but we'll be there with bells on for our annual family reunion.

Voni AND Paul
sMiling

Sorry I missed Bloomsburg, but other circumstances as well as weather prevented my rally trip.
As far as Sedalia, as is stands now, I will be there (but not with bells on, just regular rally attire!).
I still like the late September or early October idea of a rally, though.

Stanley Boys will be at the Sedalia Ntnl. Rally, depending on the hot weather though!

Just checked current weather in Sedalia (Nat.l Rally is always 3rd wk July), whew- thanks but no thanks! Its hot enough in the upper midwest. Maybe I'll see you in 2013...

+100, Tenfold Gunny! My Son Seth (14) and his Daddy Don will be at Sedalia, but it will all depend on the weather. For my entire 30+ years of MOA Membership I have always pre-registered, but that is now going to change; weather will decide.

By the way, I have to take Seth out of school to attend the MOA Rally held always in the 3rd week of July; like many Western States, school is year round in Arizona!

Hot weather Rally

Well, yes it was hot. It was hot in Ontario when we left and it was worse in Bloomsburg. However, we survived, had fun and tried out our hot weather gear. The good thing was that we probably sweated out all the beer rather than having it settle around the waist :), and besides, I'll take the heat before pouring rain any day. So, enough about the weather, nothing you can do about anyways, life goes on.:violin

If climate change keeps changing weather patterns to the hotter side, I guess eventually the date for the rally will change to either earlier or later in the year.

Sorry I missed Bloomsburg, but other circumstances as well as weather prevented my rally trip.
As far as Sedalia, as is stands now, I will be there (but not with bells on, just regular rally attire!).
I still like the late September or early October idea of a rally, though.

The problem I see with a late Sept - October rally is while it may be ideal weather for some parts of the country, other parts not so much. As I understand and have experienced, the organizers goal is to move the event around to different region. Let's face it there is no one size fits all when it comes to placing the rally in terms of weather and location.

I've got Sedalia on my calendar. Living in northeast Arkansas, I don't have any excuses for not attending.

I've got Sedalia on my calendar. Living in northeast Arkansas, I don't have any excuses for not attending.

Read some of the above "issues" and pick one. Alternatively, say while sMiling: " It's too far " over and over.... aaaaaa

i will not preregister for another rally, ever. if the weather is good and not 112 in the shade, i'll go. although i enjoyed every national i've been to, there is nothing there that makes riding day in and day out in 95+ degree weather worth it for me.

Sedalia is already dialed in for specific dates in July, 2012. No sense whinning about trying to change that. Let's hope for the best and place it on our calendars.

While no one would ever volunteer to be "Chairperson of Clear Skies," or "Chairperson of Mild Temperatures," could we at least consider trying a national rally in autumn for 2013 or 2014?! :banghead

Finally one that's close enough for me. I'll be there. If it's too hot you'll find me under a tree with my beer. Pretty sure it won't beat last weeks 105 temp and 120+ heat index here. And to put a spin on this, my hottest trip ever was 111 when I left Topeka. 109 all the way to the Colorado line. Sedalia? Walk in the park for me I bet.

Missouri is the show me state. They are so damn tough they have their state fair in August which is always the hottest month of the year. The Rally is just a "warm up" to their fair (pun intended, not good but intended). The screw up as I see it is the rally is too far out from the state fair. If it was closer you could hang around for the flat trackers that come in to Sedalia. I suspect the track will play some part in the rally next year.

FWIW, I had a ball in Bloomsburg, one of the best ever. A huge part of what made it special for me was having my son Corbett participate. We had a great first tour in spite of the heat and he loved the rally, especially Camp Gears and watching his father clear toilets. ;)

When we got home he asked where the rally was next year. I told him where and that his current riding level we'd probably take three or even four days of back road riding to get there.

He said sign me up.

:dance

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to the Sedalia rally. So far family obligations have kept me away, but this one is close enough I can attend to the family things and still attend. A one tank of fuel rally!!!!!! Yes,I will volunteer for something.

Hot is what it is. I fear the chiggers and mosquitoes and worst of all is the Oak tree Mites, they go thru the screens on tents.

Bring your Deet. If you want to lay on the grass shower afterward and towel off every square inch of your skin firmly or learn about chiggers.

Powered sulfur seems to keep the ticks, chiggers and oak tree mites at bay. Stink or itch, easy choice.

It will be a wonderful rally, and some pretty roads.

Folks that like to fish, bring your rods. Bennett spring is close, and other rivers.

Also, some nice cool canoe trips on the Current and Jack Fork river, spring fed, they never warm up.

Rod

All of which tells me we need to ask 2 questions.

What is typical weather there at that time?

Can the facility keep us cool if it gets hotter than typical?

Good questions...

Bloomsburg, PA July Averages

Average High 82??F
Average Low 58??F
Mean 70??F
Record High 103??F (1988)
Record Low 41??F (1963)

I think the rally planners do a terrific job. Anyone complaining should volunteer for the search committee.

Back