• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lake Huron or Upper Peninsula?

jogitu

I have some time for a 3 day trip out of NW Indiana. I have traveled up to Traverse City, Petoskey and Charlevoix several times. I have crossed Mackinac Bridge once heading to Canada. I was thinking about heading to Bay City and following Huron up to the UP. While speaking with some riders this weekend I was sort of talked out of that as I was told the Huron ride is painfully boring.

My question is bit convoluted. I could head up 31 and take M22 around and end up in the Mackinaw area for night one and bypass Huron all together. Then I could spend day 2 tracking around the UP. I know what to expect in Traverse City and I have been up there this year. If I was misled on Huron I could make that day one but if it like riding a slab in the middle of Michigan I would rather pass. Was I misled? Should I make that trip or am I missing nothing but straight roads and ghost towns? I have noticed nobody lives on that side of the state. I would actually make better time heading up the western part of the state which would give more time to hit the likes of M22. Heading to Huron requires more slab to get there so I do have time to explore.

What is your experience and what should I try to see in the UP or Huron area?

Hiya- I know northwestern MI pretty well, have ridden it for years. I agree that the ride Bay City north up to the bridge is fairly boring. I would recommend M22 to Traverse City, then north along Lake Michigan to Petoskey. In Petoskey, find M119 and ride it as far north as you can. If you use GPS, you'll be able to get to the bridge following the lake shoreline most of the way. 119 is one of the best roads in all of Michigan- its narrow, scenic, twisty, hilly, and in a tunnel of trees. In the Spring its a canopy of green with a floor of Trillium, absolutely gorgeous. Once in the U.P., US 2 West is pretty cool for an hour or so. If you can make it up to Lake Superior, there's lots of nice riding there as well. Sounds like you've got limited time, so Keweenaw Penn. is probably out of the question. Its a long way there and back. I hope I've been helpful, and you have a great ride.

I like the ride along Lake Huron from Alpena north, even though it's not as exciting and beautiful as a similar route along Lake Michigan, but it has less traffic and is generally just quieter.

If you cross the bridge to the UP then you can head up to Sault St. Marie which is fascinating as tankers come and go, and circle around to see Tahquamenon Falls. The ride along Lake Superior from the Sault heading west is just gorgeous.

Da UP has it.

I would have to agree with Waddyp on 119 Tunnel-of-trees. Very unique ride! When heading over the bridge on 75, head to Brimley, MI in the UP. Just west of there is Curley Lewis Hwy that runs along the coast of Whitefish Bay. Head north on 123 and follow it west through Tahquamenon Falls State Park to Newberry. Head west on 28 to 77 North to Grand Marais. Now for the RIDE! Not that there's anything wrong with all you'll have already ridden, which is great on its own. Take H-58 to Munising. What a road! They just finished paving it at the end of last fall. It doesn't have a crack or bump on it and enough scenery, sweepers and twisties to satisfy anyone. Head back anyway you want from Minising, but now you have the option I did't have to take 94 to 2 and follow the shoreline on northern Lake Michigan back to the bridge.
I just returned from a ride around Lake Michigan 2 weeks ago and was given the tip on H-58 by riders from Munising. They couldn't have been more correct about how enjoyable it is to ride.

Just my $0.02,
Jer

I would have to agree with Waddyp on 119 Tunnel-of-trees. Very unique ride! When heading over the bridge on 75, head to Brimley, MI in the UP. Just west of there is Curley Lewis Hwy that runs along the coast of Whitefish Bay. Head north on 123 and follow it west through Tahquamenon Falls State Park to Newberry. Head west on 28 to 77 North to Grand Marais. Now for the RIDE! Not that there's anything wrong with all you'll have already ridden, which is great on its own. Take H-58 to Munising. What a road! They just finished paving it at the end of last fall. It doesn't have a crack or bump on it and enough scenery, sweepers and twisties to satisfy anyone. Head back anyway you want from Minising, but now you have the option I did't have to take 94 to 2 and follow the shoreline on northern Lake Michigan back to the bridge.
I just returned from a ride around Lake Michigan 2 weeks ago and was given the tip on H-58 by riders from Munising. They couldn't have been more correct about how enjoyable it is to ride.

Just my $0.02,
Jer

Jerry, I couldn't have said it better. Glad you enjoyed your ride here. Did you get your shirt?

Am I safe to try to get a mom and pop motel up there this time of year without a reservation? Looks like there are some in Paradise. I am only worried about Saturday night. Sunday I can park my butt anywhere up there including Traverse City. Also is H-58 known by another name in the area? Any good places to eat?

Got the latest version, too.

Jerry, I couldn't have said it better. Glad you enjoyed your ride here. Did you get your shirt?

Hi Scott,

I did get my UP Crusing shirt. Thanks to Kathy going above and beyond during her lunch break to get me the right size that was my mistake to begin with.
How's the KLT wiring going? Hope you get back to riding soon.

Have fun,
Jer

Am I safe to try to get a mom and pop motel up there this time of year without a reservation? Looks like there are some in Paradise. I am only worried about Saturday night. Sunday I can park my butt anywhere up there including Traverse City. Also is H-58 known by another name in the area? Any good places to eat?

From N.W. Indiana, if you got over the bridge, you've probably had a good day's ride (maybe not, I'm a lightweight and only like to do 325-350 mi/day. I feel I get to see more and get full satisfation out of the ride). The town of Brimley, MI has a motel with big rooms called Willibee's ($56/night, but booked in April). There's also a couple roadsides that I don't recall the names of, but you can see them if you use Google maps and drill all the way down to street view. I believe there's two, one on each side of Lakeshore Drive to the west of Willibee's. Yellow Pages may work, too. I didn't think the place was full a couple weeks ago, but they do have group stays for the weekends I noticed they advertised.
H-58 is well marked in Grand Marais which is very small and has a couple restaurants. I went the brew pub route and had a Whitefish sandwich, Scottish eggs and a stout. Wish I lived closer now that I'm thinking of that meal.:brad I also ate at Willibee's for breakfast which was good.
Starting fresh from Brimley or before there would be my suggestion.

Jer

Brimley might work. I missed that town on the map. Thanks for the heads up as I searched the town on Kayak and there are several hotels in the area. So is there some place with a been there done that tee shirt?

Brimley might work. I missed that town on the map. Thanks for the heads up as I searched the town on Kayak and there are several hotels in the area. So is there some place with a been there done that tee shirt?

Don't exactly know what you're asking about here, but www.upcruising.com has some nice t-shirts and good info on motorcycling in "da U.P."

Jer

Enjoyed it up there and planning on going back soon with the wife. H58 is a fun route. The UP reminds me of Riding across Canada on 17. That should be a GS paradise up there and I surprised I did not see any, perhaps they were all in the woods.

My tip: St. Ignace, eat at Java Joe's! I had coconut pancakes, freaking awesome. Great little place located just in front of the Holiday Inn Express. On over 8,000 miles logged this year Java Joes is the only meal I had in the US worth mentioning.

Back