• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Green light triggers

Results and reports both vary ...

I'm theological about it: those who swear by them are predestined to, and those who swear at them are predestined to.

Put me in the latter camp. Besides, I prefer running the light to waiting on it! :bolt

Got my vote

Seems to work well, although I push down on the center stand to get it closer to the ground.

I don't use 'em 'cause someone told me the magnetic field pulled the lubrication out of the clutch splines... :brow

I actually tested my green light trigger on my RT. I go to work the same way almost every day. For a week I rode with the trigger and my wait time for the left turn arrow was under a minute every time. I took the same route for the next week and my wait time if I was the only one in the left turn lane (which I usually am) was two minutes plus. :thumb

DION1951 said:
Anybody ever used one of those green light triggers? If it would really work would be money well spent.

I bought one for my R1150R and I put it on the center stand with a nylon cable tie - I thought, boy the catalytic converter gets awfuly hot and it might burn right through the nylon - well on the first ride it did - 20.00 down the tubes.

Then I bought a "Signal Sorcerer" when I got the RT. Mounted it with "permanent" industrial adhesive supplied with the unit. It stayed put for about 2000 miles, then on a 400 mile ride I started to smell something like burning vomit, and sure enough, it had come off and the permanent industrial adhesive was cooking. So I am down 40.00 and have no device on my bike. Harumph...

The Green Light trigger is no more than a ceramic magnet that you can buy for under $5.00 at any Home Depot or Lowes; and they come in packs of TWO for this price. Don't be fooled by the NEW plastic coating/cover which the Green Light guys added to cover the obvious magnet. Buy the Home Depot or Lowes stuff along with some industrial two sided tape, affix to the closest part of your motorcycle in relation to the ground and enjoy the benefits of tripping the stop lights as the cages do.
I mounted two of these on the bottom fairing of my RT and they work flawlesly.

DDHR1150RT said:
The Green Light trigger is no more than a ceramic magnet that you can buy for under $5.00 at any Home Depot or Lowes;
I mounted two of these on the bottom fairing of my RT and they work flawlesly.

Just don't run over a rich guy, or you'll ruin his Rolex.

Thanks for all the info! So this is where all those retired comedians gather to exchange material! I think I'll be headed down to my local Home Depot for a couple of magnets.

I just make sure to stop over the sensor cut and then hold down my centrestand. Should be enough iron. And if you ride an older bike the steel wheel rims will help too, as will the bottom frame tubes.

I once lived in an apartment complex that had gates. They were activated for exiting vehicles by the same type of sensor. I had a K100 at the time, and I was amused that the K would not trip the sensors but my bicycle would! The K had almost no ferric metal within 12" of the ground. The axles, crankshaft and ring gear in the FD were by my estimation the only steel close enough to possibly be read and obviously they weren't.

It's a dilemma

This topic is something I start to get complaints about each summer...

Along with everything else, I am also the traffic engineer for our city and take care of the signal system. Unless someone has a full dress HD with lots of chrome, most other bikes won't change the magnetic field. Unless you have someone come in a cage, you could wait forever. (I have been known to do some right turns on red then a U'ey).

People complain but there's not much we can do. Turn up the sensitivity on the detector's amplifier and cars in the adjacent lane can give a false call for a left turn. Or else cars cutting a corner tight can trip the opposing streets.

Guess we never thought of recommending these to the rest of the local bike community......

JC

mine works fine, but you have to go over the light sensors at about 10-15 mph. those sensors are what's buried in the pavement about 12 yards before the actual stop line. if i am going too slow over that area the light will not trigger. if i travel over the sensors at 10-15mph the light will trigger. it just forces you to make a more firm stop than you might have otherwise.

BobFV1 said:
I bought one for my R1150R and I put it on the center stand with a nylon cable tie - I thought, boy the catalytic converter gets awfuly hot and it might burn right through the nylon - well on the first ride it did - 20.00 down the tubes.

Then I bought a "Signal Sorcerer" when I got the RT. Mounted it with "permanent" industrial adhesive supplied with the unit. It stayed put for about 2000 miles, then on a 400 mile ride I started to smell something like burning vomit, and sure enough, it had come off and the permanent industrial adhesive was cooking. So I am down 40.00 and have no device on my bike. Harumph...

Try stainless steel safety wire. You can order it from Summit Racing.com. If the caticalysmic converter (yes I called it that,,,because back when these things first came out and we found that we were trading unburned hydro-carbons for sulfuric acid....well...) melts that stuff you can probably collect the insurance on the bike.

Welcome Dion;their cover is now blown

DION1951 said:
Thanks for all the info! So this is where all those retired comedians gather to exchange material! I think I'll be headed down to my local Home Depot for a couple of magnets.

Pretty astute observation for a guy with seven posts.
Ba da boom!! :)

I use ...

I use the magnets out of bad computer hard drives. If you have an old hard drive lying around just disassemble it. There are 2 very strong magnet inside the drive, take them out but leave the metal plate on the magnet. Some need part of the mounting bracket cut off. Then I just stick it on the bike in an low area that is flat. I have one on my Honda it has been there for 15,000 miles and my \6 for 15,000 ( I have had it running less than a year)
Darren Marshall
http://staff.jccc.net/dmarshal

old Paul said:
Just don't run over a rich guy, or you'll ruin his Rolex.

You might kill HIM, but you won't ruin the Rolex. That's why Navy divers, UDT/SEALS were all issued Submariners back when I was on active duty. Just couldn't kill the damn things.

MTBATP

Back