• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally attendance?

I heard a lot of bragging that attendance would beat that set in Vermont, somewhere around 10,000. I would suspect the weather caused this dramatic lowering of attendance. Once again, the national doesn't serve up anything that's worth riding in this heatwave. Let's get the rally into a timeframe that is more favorable to riding, to hell with all the other considerations!

Attendance vs. passes sold? I would say they sold in excess of 10,000..but how many of the pre-registed showed up? My wrist band said 10,309 but who's counting..:brow

I heard a lot of bragging that attendance would beat that set in Vermont, somewhere around 10,000. I would suspect the weather caused this dramatic lowering of attendance. Once again, the national doesn't serve up anything that's worth riding in this heatwave. Let's get the rally into a timeframe that is more favorable to riding, to hell with all the other considerations![/QUOTE]

+1

Lets have it way up north so folks can drive in the heat longer to get there. :ha Even Montreal was as hot as our rally so should we go further north ?

Attendance vs. passes sold? I would say they sold in excess of 10,000..but how many of the pre-registed showed up? My wrist band said 10,309 but who's counting..:brow

I registered/paid in advance, but stayed home because my wife is having back problems. But I may have stayed home anyway rather than suffer through a week of this insane heat.
The memory of Lima is still fresh in my mind and I never want to have that kind of rally experience again.

I feel the need to highlight a distinction here.

Yes, the weather was inclement, but it's not like a dome of hot was parked directly over Bloomsburg. That heat wave covered half the nation and there was no way anybody could have predicted the timing or extent of it. So let's not blame the organizers for the weather; let's just ask that they show a bit of flexibility going forward.

I didn't attend because (1) I travel with my dog and Barley has a tough time dealing with heat in that fur coat of his, and (2) I suffered from heat stroke twice while in the military and don't tolerate heat very well myself anymore. Personal choice. If I miss a rally now and then the world isn't going to end.

But all this talk of heat and miserable conditions is threatening to overshadow the hard work put in by scores of volunteers before and during the rally. The act of pulling a small town together for four days is pretty impressive!

Yes, the weather was inclement, but it's not like a dome of hot was parked directly over Bloomsburg. That heat wave covered half the nation and there was no way anybody could have predicted the timing or extent of it. So let's not blame the organizers for the weather; let's just ask that they show a bit of flexibility going forward.

I didn't attend because (1) I travel with my dog and Barley has a tough time dealing with heat in that fur coat of his, and (2) I suffered from heat stroke twice while in the military and don't tolerate heat very well myself anymore. Personal choice. If I miss a rally now and then the world isn't going to end.

But all this talk of heat and miserable conditions is threatening to overshadow the hard work put in by scores of volunteers before and during the rally. The act of pulling a small town together for four days is pretty impressive!

Well said!

Voni
sMiling

I had a group of FIVE leaving Friday 7AM to the rally... 4 cancelled due to the heat (prudence!) A few of us drove up (and I saw a TON of cars there) on Saturday for the day just so we could "attend"...

As was said, I think a LARGE number decided to bag it rather than suffer that heat o, heat exhaustion or worse heat stroke. I had a conversation with one of the vendors (and he was a young, thin kid!) and he said he was taken to the hospital the night before due to the heat....

This was my first MOA rally and I thought it was extremely well run and organized. Yes, the weather was horrible, I felt and got sick and I didn't get to enjoy the rally as much as I wanted, but still had a good time. If I have to really complain about anything it's the lack of support for my particular BMW model. Would I attend another one? Maybe. I liked the antique BMW's in one of the buildings, if you look real close, you can see Bob, from Bob's BMW fame sitting in front of one or more of his bikes, very cool.

Attachments

• resized8.JPG
    resized8.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 373
It was a good time . . .

You can piss and moan all you want. We responded to the needs of the attendees. They were uncomfortable but remained calm. Weather is a variable.
It was not perfect. Next time get off your Lazyboy and man up or woman up. It was a quality presentation.
The beer was too cold and it must have been good because it almost ran out!
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Well put and I volunteered running water and ice to all the water stations that were put out. I ended up going down inside the education building from not eating , the heat and my blood pressure topped off .. My fault I did not eat , but tried to keep everyone cool with fresh water and ice .. I did stay hydrated but not eating did me in .. I love volunteering and encourage others do so too ..

I had this week slotted for vacation for 6 months now, and unfortunately work kept me around until Friday night. I did ride up from DC leaving at 5am and the ride was just awesome with nice weather in the mid-70's all the way up. It didn't get hot until mid-morning, and then it did indeed get hot and muggy. Was it uncomfortably hot? You bet. Did all the free bottles of water handed out by volunteers every time I turned a corner make it quite bearable? You bet :)

My hat is off to all the volunteers, you all did a fantastic job and I had a blast.

Back