• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally Picture:Hmmm........What is wrong with that picture?

M

Merlin III

When this web site came up there is a picture of people sitting at tables drinking beer and they all have long sleeved shirts and jackets on? Where they at the same rally that I attended? : )

they all have long sleeved shirts and jackets on?

brain freeze syndrome I'd say, obviously some of our southern brethren trying to keep their body core temps up ...
09.gif

First, congratulations to the numerous people who put on what appeared from the videos to be a great rally. I wish I could have gone, but work kept me in San Antonio.

The post brings up an old question, is the middle of summer the right time to have the rally?

:lurk

The post brings up an old question, is the middle of summer the right time to have the rally?

Sure beats the middle of winter.... . .

Summer is the only season in North America that folks can rely on to get to any other portion of the country via motorcycle; winter and spring being ice-bound in many parts of the States.

With the onset of the "Holiday Season", which basically starts with Labor Day and the beginning of the "school year", it would be difficult to schedule a big rally in the autumn.

Sure beats the middle of winter.... . .

Summer is the only season in North America that folks can rely on to get to any other portion of the country via motorcycle; winter and spring being ice-bound in many parts of the States.

With the onset of the "Holiday Season", which basically starts with Labor Day and the beginning of the "school year", it would be difficult to schedule a big rally in the autumn.

I would have to disagree. Fall would be an excellent time for a large rally. From the looks of the crowds at the fair, it would seem that 95 percent of the participants don't have to worry anymore about taking the kids back to school or even going back to work.

I heard many, many people at the rally saying that the club should take into consideration the average climate specs of the proposed rally location before making a choice.

Fall would certainly be my choice! Too hot traveling all the way across the country in the middle of summer.
I plan my Rallys in summer at the higher elevations where I know the days are cooler and nights even cooler yet. I am not sure about the planning but spring and fall will be less for rooms, facilaties etc.

BTW where is the National Rally next year?

Jack

1) What's the elevation?
2) What's the anticipated weather? (If the mid day temps can be expected to exceed the well known IBA temp point at which bodies gain heat I won't be there)
3) Are there any interesting roads nearby?

Branson, Missouri is the venue for next year.

Why Branson? I thought it would be west this year. Why have it east again? Hardly seems fair.

Contrary to popular belief those of us in the west do not like to travel all the way across country to the east for the BMWMOANR.

We need a commitee change. What don't they understand about this. One year east and one year west. Only fair way to do it.

Jack

I would have to disagree. Fall would be an excellent time for a large rally. From the looks of the crowds at the fair, it would seem that 95 percent of the participants don't have to worry anymore about taking the kids back to school or even going back to work.

I heard many, many people at the rally saying that the club should take into consideration the average climate specs of the proposed rally location before making a choice.

I agree, Merlin.

July may be an ideal month for many but certainly not all. Depending on the rally location, it may not even be the best month. IMO varying the month to suit the location makes sense. Locations like Bloomsburg, Lima Ohio, Sedalia , etc are usually going to be hot and humid in July, sometimes *very* hot. For example the average high temp in Sedalia MO in July is 89 degrees (7 higher than Bloomsburg). I know... those of us in Bloomsburg would *love* to have had 89 this weekend, instead of the record 103. But it could have been much worse, Sedalia's record in July is 116 degrees. Sedalia average high in September is 79, ten degrees cooler than July.

An occaisional month other than July would accommodate those with other July (such as family) commitments. A mid September national rally every 3 years would allow some different members to go. And if at a location under 2,500' (which most in the east are) it's likely to be much more comfortable.

If it must be summer; why not early summer ? The temps would be a bit more moderate. I would vote for fall if this were a democracy.

Why Branson? I thought it would be west this year. Why have it east again? Hardly seems fair.

Contrary to popular belief those of us in the west do not like to travel all the way across country to the east for the BMWMOANR.

We need a commitee change. What don't they understand about this. One year east and one year west. Only fair way to do it.

Jack

The Eastern states join the Atlantic Ocean or are connected to a state that joins the Atlantic. Anything west of the Mississippi is west.

in an effort to help keep this thread as far off the original topic as possible...

If you go by the club forums, MO is in the midwest.

Branson is a great location and it will be much fun for all.

Elevation of the area is about 750 feet with rolling hills. It's a good place to gather with a lot of things to do. However, The Weather Channel says today's high in Branson will be 97, tomorrow 100. Bring your evaporative cooling vest, and stop to water-up frequently.

It looks like there is a BMW dealership @ 85 miles away in Bentonville.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branson,_Missouri

:lurk

Last edited:
Back