• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

George Thorogood; a bit of the inside story

Mike_In_Lima

Thought I'd share a little insiders perspective of the George Thorogood show, for those who may be interested. Sue probably wouldn't share most of this, for reasons I'll attempt to explain, but I thought I'd give you some of my take, for posterity.

The first thing that became apparent upon meeting Sue and Brian is that they wanted the Lima Rally to really succeed, and they wanted to get the music side of things hammered down. They had obviously had this in mind for awhile. Now mind you, she also wanted to have the other Rally elements really polished, too.
But she set her mind on the idea of offering a high profile act for the members to enjoy.
Getting deeper into discovering what was going on here, it emerged that her motivation was simply to give the event and the members something "more" this year, and her avenue for this was to bring in an enjoyable headliner, and also a strong slate of Beer Garden acts.
Sue won't blow her own horn here, which is why you wouldn't likely hear about this otherwise. It was a fair amount of work and sweat, though.

She and Brian developed a short list of suitable/desirable acts. I'll let her weigh in later if she wants to tell you who else was on the list. Some were unavailable due to routing or previous commitments for that date, others were astronomically high/economically unfeasible. George kept popping up on the radar screen. An offer was made and predictably scoffed at, and then weeks and months of phone calls and emails transpired.
After a fair amount of the usual standard-practice footdragging by his agency (Monterey Peninsula, hardly a small firm!), a deal was struck that she could live with.
The result should be a great evening to have a good time, to be continued in the Beer Garden afterward, and again, I commend her for wanting to return something special for the attendees. I suppose it won't be absolutely everybodys cup of tea, but anyone attending ought to show up and be part of a great party and a great show. :drink

I will reiterate that on the regional slate, I think Stacy Mitchhart is a particulary strong act. He was already scheduled for the Friday night, and when George became available, Stacy was asked to do a short opener for George on the main stage, and then move into the Beer Garden for an extended show. Strap yourself to the seat, because his show is STRONG!
Have fun, and hope to see some of you at the Rally! :wave

we get "bad to the bone" or "gear jammer"

Harley had "tiny dancer" or "like a candle in the wind"

Oh boy is this going to be great.....

I would be curious as to who was on the list. I think George (we're on a first name basis :p ) is a great choice. I would have a tough time coming up with a list of qualified perfomers. Lyle Lovett would put on a great show AND he's a motorcyclists to boot but he might be a little too laid back for our group :drink

And a message for George - please..please...PLEASE -no Steppenwolf "Born to be wild". :stick

Actually, my inside story ended up a little watered down in order to keep it suitable for public consumption (you don't want top see the sausage being made!), but Sue and Brian did have Lyle on the longer list. It would have been a great act, but the routing did not work, and they were also holding out for prohibitively high $; nonethless, even if he had been available, I couldn't say that they wouldn't have gone with George anyway.

Next Year

So can we count on a Phish reunion for 2006 in VT?

With plenty of free Ben & Jerry's ice cream for all?

hahaha, if there was one thing that would keep me from a rally just up the road in VT, it would be Phish performing

although i do like free ice cream.............

One Bourbon, one Scotch, and one BEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:drink :buds :bottle :beer :1drink

MikeC said:
Sounds like a good time,Tom Waits would have been cool too.
I love Tom, but only in small doses. I ONCE listened to a whole album of his straight thru. It was so depressing, I wanted to shoot myself.
I think we will be better with George.

tb

Man, I can listen to the "Blue Valentine" album all day long...

I mean "Whistling past the graveyard" would bring a smile to anyone!

While I don't care for GT, you can't please everyone and I'm glad many here will be happy with the choice. For me, the act in 2003 was the best!

:drink

Hey to each his own.I once had a 1950 mercury lead sled named"Blue Valentine".Tom Waits is my favorite musician.A GREAT writer.Songs like "Jersey Girl" and "Ol 55" are classics.I have yet to see him live,but he's touring again this year.Beer co-chair eh?Maybe we can get together and I'll turn you on to some more of Toms music over a micro or two!

gsmetal said:
Lyle Lovett would put on a great show AND he's a motorcyclists to boot but he might be a little too laid back for our group .... And a message for George - please..please...PLEASE -no Steppenwolf "Born to be wild". :stick

GSMetal - Lyle laid back? No way! Last time I heard him perform he was just incredible, especially with Bo Ramsey right beside him, kickin' a$$.

I've never really listened to George T., can anyone recommend a good album/CD as an intro to his stuff?

And hey, I wouldn't mind a fresh cover of "Born to be Wild", maybe slowed down a bit with a blues cadence.

As long as I'm spouting off; Tom Waits is truly one of the great all time singer-songwriters (despite Frank's Wild Years). Did you catch him in the flic "Coffee and Cigarettes"? Wierd.

Anyway, this ought to be fun.

Steve-O

When in doubt go to the greatest hits "Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock" It has on it:

1 Madison Blues
2 One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer
3 Move it on over
4 Who do you Love
5 Bad to the Bone
6 I Drink alone
7 Gear Jammer
8 Willie and the Hand jive
9 the sky is crying (Live)
10 Reelin' & Rockin' (Live)
11 You talk too Much
12 If you don't Start Drinking (I'm going to leave)
13 Get a haircut
14 Rocking My life away (alternate take) previously unreleased
15 American Made
16 Who do you Love (Rothrock Remix)

All of which are good.

My personal non greatest hits favorite is Maverick
01. gear jammer
02. i drink alone
03. willie and the hand jive
04. what a price
05. long gone
06. dixie fried
07. crawling king snake
08. memphis
09. woman with the blues
10. let's go go go
11. the ballad of maverick

Yes, I have seen Lyle a few times in concert, heck even got to work with him a few times and always a blast.

Tom Waits

One of our favorite songs by Tom Waits is
"No Time for a Wife"

Brian, that romantic guy, sang it with the band on our wedding night. sigh

Thanks to Mike B in Lima for helping the Thorogood Show come to fruition. The entertainment this year is going to ROCK!

:)

Sue

MikeC said:
Hey to each his own.I once had a 1950 mercury lead sled named"Blue Valentine".Tom Waits is my favorite musician.A GREAT writer.Songs like "Jersey Girl" and "Ol 55" are classics.I have yet to see him live,but he's touring again this year.Beer co-chair eh?Maybe we can get together and I'll turn you on to some more of Toms music over a micro or two!
Hey MikeC,

I am usually available to have a beer after 8 or 9 PM. I am around the Beer Garden from 8 to noon for sure, off and on for the rest of the day. Always there for shift changes at 4 and 8 PM and done for the day by 8:30 or 9 at the latest. Buy me a Porter and subject me to any music you want. :stick Remember, I said I love Tom, but only in small doses. :D :D

George T.

I think having George T. will be a large time!! Since he is from Delaware, his music is a great mix, and he's one hell of a guitar slinger---Dave

biker10 said:
I think having George T. will be a large time!! Since he is from Delaware, his music is a great mix, and he's one hell of a guitar slinger---Dave
Large time? You can bet on it!!!

Back