• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a a/c repairman and I took the time off to go the 4 hr trip and attend
my first MOA rally if I can take time off in a heat wave to ride my bike , then the HELL
with the whole teacher thing its called taking time off .
I lasted two days and one night in a tent that was enough .
I walked the whole rally site saw all I wanted to see,time to go home.
One thing I did not see was the so called school age kids maybe 4 or 5
so the HELL with that too. I think the MOA did a good job with the rally but I
do think a change of date is needed . Move the date to the location off the rally
for the best riding weather that is why I go to ride not support the venders they get
my money in the winter when I work on my bike and make my X-mas list for the wife
and kids( and give them my credit card)
So I will not go to anymore rallies in July give the membership the chance to vote
and all our voices will be heard loud and clear.
Ernest

One last thought,

Our sister association the RA has their rally not only in different places like we do, but at different times as well. How do they do that? Why they must be wizards. :scratch

Too bad more members don't support it. The last three years including this one the RA rallies barley get more then a 1000 people. I saw lots of hard work by the the volunteers when they had it a few weeks ago in Wisconsin. Beautifully charming fairgrounds and town with pathetic attendance. Seems to me that their system of moving the dates around is not working at all.

I don't get on here as often as I like . I pre registered and bloomsburg is only about 2hrs from home and .5 hrs from work. I did manage to stop in for a few hrs on Friday, my first National . I would have loved to stay over but had to travel for work to upstate NY. I wish I could have stayed hot weather or not. I do agree July is a tricky month to plan. But I have also been at the B fairgrounds in Sept and it was hot. I thank the planners for the rally,great job with a bad situation. But overall I would vote for pre July Post Aug for planning in the North east. I am just below Buffalo NY and there are BMWs at the hotel I am at, probably left because of the heat. I also saw a lot on the roads heading north and west .But overall I am jealous at everyone who was able to attend for more than a few hrs. But again. Thank You to all the people who planned this rally and the volunteers that helped.

Another factor that plays into this debate is conflicting rallies. For example, if we return to Vermont or New York in the spring we have to compete with Americade, or Laconia, and not everyone can afford to attend more than one big rally a year. Then checkout all the possible conflicting rallies of our charter clubs.

For the record I travel in the spring or fall but I can accept the logic of the rally planners that I spoke with during this cooker. :hungover

a fall rally would get my vote, especially for places east of the rockies.

Kids in school has never been a problem for us. We have four kids and try to take them to colorado skiing every february. The schools have never had a problem with this. (anybody know how many kids attend the rally? Is this a serious issue or exaggerated?)i am in my 40s (not for much longer) and my vacation time is limited. I prefer not to take motorcycle trips in the middle of hot summer.

+1

i am a a/c repairman and i took the time off to go the 4 hr trip and attend
my first moa rally if i can take time off in a heat wave to ride my bike , then the hell
with the whole teacher thing its called taking time off .
I lasted two days and one night in a tent that was enough .
I walked the whole rally site saw all i wanted to see,time to go home.
One thing i did not see was the so called school age kids maybe 4 or 5
so the hell with that too. I think the moa did a good job with the rally but i
do think a change of date is needed . Move the date to the location off the rally
for the best riding weather that is why i go to ride not support the venders they get
my money in the winter when i work on my bike and make my x-mas list for the wife
and kids( and give them my credit card)
so i will not go to anymore rallies in july give the membership the chance to vote
and all our voices will be heard loud and clear.
Ernest

amen!

think i heard 6800 as the attendance figure. not sure what the break even point is but this has to be cutting it pretty close.

now that everybody is heading home and the blistering heat of the past few days is over the real question remains, will we all forget about and stop talking about changing the rally dates until we are once again sweltering in MO next July?

i understand next years rally location is set and can't be changed but if the board does not address something that apparently many members seem to want, and the 2013 rally is once again held in July in a location that the typical July weather is 95 + degrees, then i will seriously have to consider why i am a member of a club that ignores what the membership wants. if the majority of the members want to keep the rally in July that's fine, but please address the issue, don't ignore it.

think i heard 6800 as the attendance figure. not sure what the break even point is but this has to be cutting it pretty close.

now that everybody is heading home and the blistering heat of the past few days is over the real question remains, will we all forget about and stop talking about changing the rally dates until we are once again sweltering in MO next July?

i understand next years rally location is set and can't be changed but if the board does not address something that apparently many members seem to want, and the 2013 rally is once again held in July in a location that the typical July weather is 95 + degrees, then i will seriously have to consider why i am a member of a club that ignores what the membership wants. if the majority of the members want to keep the rally in July that's fine, but please address the issue, don't ignore it.[/QUOTE]

+1

i understand next years rally location is set and can't be changed but if the board does not address something that apparently many members seem to want, and the 2013 rally is once again held in July in a location that the typical July weather is 95 + degrees, then i will seriously have to consider why i am a member of a club that ignores what the membership wants. if the majority of the members want to keep the rally in July that's fine, but please address the issue, don't ignore it.

Best way to get things done is to vote with your wallet.. The more that don't pay then the Status Quo might listen...

Too Hot had to leave early

Yes, the temperature gauge reads -20 below zero at 10:00 Thursday morning when I uncovered the bike. ARE WE HAVING FUN YET? Actually, after riding a while the dial settled down to 110. We are spending a lot of time in the air conditioned restaurants and vender areas. Believe it or not, it is even too hot for me to go to the beer tent.

Attachments

• bmw rally 005_crop.jpg
    bmw rally 005_crop.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 214
think i heard 6800 as the attendance figure.

Wasn't the projection 10,000? Now, I'm sure that plenty of those missing attendees had paid in advance so nothing lost to the club, but I didn't buy a ticket this year, had planned to show up and pay at the gate.

Bllomsburg-Been there, did that

I have to agree on moving the rally to the Fall, as I think in general the weather is more predictable than in springtime.

I arrived at Bloomsburg on Wednesday, and it was as HOT as I thought I had ever been... until Thursday. And I think I have a pretty high tolerance for discomfort.
Just setting up our tents started to feel like a exercise in survival. I joined my fellow Airheads at the "Airtent" where 2 fans were very popular and the beer was cold. A beer a water, a beer a water, etc..

I kept thinking, "What is the rationale for July?" Can there really be that many school teachers?
I have to say that MOA did as good a job as possible with "misting stations", etc...however these were just a tease, as I found the only way to tolerate the heat was shirt under faucet, wear shirt for 1/2 hour, then repeat.

Sorry, but the thought of putting on gear, to take a ride and assist with stimulating the local economy was out of the question, for me at least.
I did see MANY riders leaving the fairgrounds in shorts, and I am sure they left ATGATT back at the tent.

Thursday was worse, and if it were not for my stint at the registration tent on Friday morning, I would have left then.
Friday at the registration tent, I saw riders arriving that actually appeared ill from the heat. Of course hydration was encouraged with cold water at the tent entrance.

My decision was, regardless of how much I enjoy rallies, this was not fun, it was truly a exercise in survival. I packed and was gone by 230pm.

I agree the extreme nature of the current heat wave is a bit unusual, but would 90-95 degrees, a likely daytime average for a "normal" July be much better?

I will think long and hard before attending another national in July.
rj

P.S. I passed a bank riding out of town that indicated 104 degrees ???

Well about all I can say is I'm done! Never again in July! Basically I spent most of my time at the Rally just trying to stay hydrated and find some air conditioning and or shade. I did not get out and see any of the sights around Bloomsburg or surrounding , just could not bring my self to put on gear to go for a ride. The only bright side of the entire trip was some of the people I met, I'll miss them, but after talking with lots of people, a lot of them were not planning on attending another in July either. Several campers close to me left early just to get out of the heat.

Steve

x2 Well Said

Isn't there some way to set up a poll on this site? That might get the attention of the powers controlling rally dates. :ear

Isn't there some way to set up a poll on this site? That might get the attention of the powers controlling rally dates. :ear

We've been told many times that the forum is not the way to do things in the MOA. :deal

But yeah, post a poll if you want. It's an option when you start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back