• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year Round School Exists in Large Parts of the USA.

the 8% that chose to participate were heard.

If you have the rally during the school year you can kiss the parents and kids good bye and the major sponsor can be AARP.

Dear Gail, I have mentioned this before: The majority of the School Districts in the State of Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico are on year round school schedules. This is prevalent across the Western United States. The second to last weekend of July, my boy is in class.

Heber, Flagstaff, Payson, Pinetop would all work well in July for a MOA Rally; 7Kfeet

There ya have it! The next rally in AZ in July!

Actually GrafikFeat, you can have the Rally in Arizona in July, if it is held North of the Mogollon Rim that bisects our State. South is the Sonoran Desert, North is 7,000 feet!

1991 BMW MOA Rally was held in Flagstaff, AZ at the Fairgrounds, Rally Chairs were Bud and Jennifer Deetz. The weather was perfect, I was there and I highly recommend Flagstaff!

I just knew you would see the light!

thats only because it is 80 degrees with low humidity here today. wait till tomorrow when it is 95 and humid, i will once again be on my high horse wanting the rally date changed..........LOL

now where is that UPS man with my new windshield. maybe i should start a UPS thread :stick

Dear Gail, I have mentioned this before: The majority of the School Districts in the State of Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico are on year round school schedules. This is prevalent across the Western United States. The second to last weekend of July, my boy is in class.

+1 - People will get there come hell or high water. There can't be a majority of teachers and kids. I bet it is only a fraction of the membership. Not large enough to stop the train for. And like this guy says, kids go to school year round and more and more states are heading that way.

What a waste of time this thread is. It's like arguing about whether one should wear a helmet or not. A dead end from the first word.

Like I stated earlier I believe the dwindling support from BMW NA and driving dealers under is a bigger issue. My next bike will probably be a Goldwing.

A VAST MAJORITY OF MOA MEMBERS HAVE TOLD US THEY PREFER JULY.

You make it sound like the mojority of MOA members were surveyed.
How many members are there, and how many were polled in 2009.
BTW, quit shouting.

Last edited:

I was just stating that Sue's statement was misleading.
She made it sound like the majority of the members voted.

I'm giving up on this thread, and giving up on the date being changed. I guess the 7 Nationals I've attended since 1983 will have to do.

I was just stating that Sue's statement was misleading.
She made it sound like the majority of the members voted.

sorry, but communicating accurately about statistical data is difficult.

I'm giving up on this thread, and giving up on the date being changed. I guess the 7 Nationals I've attended since 1983 will have to do.

you know, i was pretty damn hot in Vermont. ;)

dude, you seriously need to stay with art direction. :ha

using random samples, one can poll a smaller number than a majority and predict (with a *very high degree of confidence*) the opinion of the majority.

that is what can be accurately said.

ian

Maybe in social science where they are delighted with a 70% level of confidence. If you want to add some scientific rigor you at least need to poll the non-responders to see what sort of self-selection bias you might be facing. You might find that the majority of non-responders feel the MOA will never listen, so why bother?

(Not stating that as a fact, just one possibility. That's why "studies" in psych and soc journals drive me nuts!)

Actually GrafikFeat, you can have the Rally in Arizona in July, if it is held North of the Mogollon Rim that bisects our State. South is the Sonoran Desert, North is 7,000 feet!

1991 BMW MOA Rally was held in Flagstaff, AZ at the Fairgrounds, Rally Chairs were Bud and Jennifer Deetz. The weather was perfect, I was there and I highly recommend Flagstaff!
Don,

You are correct. The Flagstaff rally in 1991 had great weather: cool and dry. It was one of the very nicest BMW MOA rallies I ever attended.

Maybe in social science where they are delighted with a 70% level of confidence. If you want to add some scientific rigor you at least need to poll the non-responders to see what sort of self-selection bias you might be facing. You might find that the majority of non-responders feel the MOA will never listen, so why bother?

(Not stating that as a fact, just one possibility. That's why "studies" in psych and soc journals drive me nuts!)

not to devolve into statistical jargon or other erectile battles, but the survey performed had a 5.7% margin of error, and the whole point of random selection is to eliminate self-selection error.

a non-member survey was also performed, since it's important to know the opinions of prospects.

a qualitative focus group was also held, unfortunately, the sample was selected from rally attendees, a skew right there, since nearly 56% of our members have never attended a national rally. even worse, the group was not unaided.... iow, the participants knew who was asking the questions.

ideally we'd do a series of unaided focus groups at regions around the country, supported by regular surveys of both current and prospective members. but you're talking a hundred large for this.... and budgets are extremely tight.

ian

Ya know it was 99?? in Redmond in '10.
I almost passed out on arrival until I re-hydrated.

It's weather. Deal with it.

I only wished they gave out those awesome bandannas or even sold them at Redmond.
They would've been PERFECT for heat like that.

Please consider bandannas for future rallies!

My 'beef' for lack of a better term is for venue availability. Not weather.
Weather or not... There will be weather.

So if the weather--heat, humidity, and rain are not a problem for the majority, how come there has not been a rally in the deep south? There has never been an MOA National in Arkansa, Louisiana, Missisippi, Alabama, or Georgia. Our weather is just as good as anyone else's:banghead But it would be a lot nicer in Spring or late Fall.
Just sayin'

a question for Sue or anyone one else who can answer this:

what if there is another poll in, say, 2013 and the majority of the member polled, voted to move the dates the rally was held. what would happen next, would the MOA act on these results and aggressively look to move the rally or would they take another survey? how would the board proceed given the findings of the new poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back