• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Location arguments have been put out in the past as explanations for the level of rally attendance. The argument goes along the lines that you draw a 500 hundred mile radius around a rally site. The greater the population to draw from the greater the attendance is likely to be at a rally. Proximity to large populations seem to make the difference in attendance added to the core of membership that will turn up any time of the year

Changing time of year to take advantage of some of the areas mentioned before would seem to require selecting a site that is interesting and appealing along with maximizing the potential rider base in the 500 mile radius.

Getting there always creates difficulties for some no matter the time of year or location. Daytona Bike Week seems to draw big from Fly-Over-Land and the area around Lock and Dam No. 1 even though we have to shovel snow to get there.

Camp Gears ÔÇô "Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having an event during thier school year. " Are we limiting the involvement of youth riders in the areas because we ignore certain areas of the country? A spring or fall rally may require a shift in thinking and timing to address school and other issues raised.

It's beautiful here in the SF Bay area right now, and normally is this time of year. High 70's. No humidity. Lots to do. TONS of awesome riding.

just sayin...

;-)

The Time for a Change to Fall or Spring Rallies is long Overdue! Let's give it a try

My MOA # is 24810 and I joined MOA in 1980, started riding BMW in Germany in 1969 and never have stopped riding Beemers. I've been saying for years MOA needs to look at Spring or Fall Rallies, but MOA simply does not want to accept any status quo changes.

While I regularly and routinely attend the MOA National Rallies, I do not attend them with the frequency I used to 32 years ago. Why? Because the summer heat is so oppressive.

While I do heartily applaud Camp Gears, Camp Gears's only been around for a few years!

MOA does not listen or care about moving the Rally time, that's why I go elsewhere now!

Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

Did that whine come with your BMW?

The international rally is just one big commercialized event and when you seen one you seen 'em all, imo. I enjoy attending air head tech sessions much more than MOA organized events. They focus on camaraderie, good food and airhead beemers and to me that is what it is all about. So having said that about the international rally add the weather factor in and as far as I am concerned fugetaboutit. If the rally is held in Oregon, Washington, Idaho or Montana then have it in July but for the rest of this country do it in the fall. I am 67 and while that isn't ancient the thought of droning across this country in July on a motorcycle to swelter in a beer tent just doesn't get it no way no how.

We (wife and I) attended last years rally in Redmond only because we live in Oregon otherwise we wouldn't bother. If it weren't for the magazine I wouldn't waste my money on the MOA and here lately even the magazine is becoming less appealing. Again, imo. For me BMW lost its appeal when the company strayed very far from its roots that being to build a simple light weight reliable machine that is easy to maintain for its owners.

There, I feel better for having said all that as I sit in my Oregon home where the inside temp is a pleasant 66 un-airconditioned degrees.

I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.

I'm sitting here in an airconditioned dorm in Bloomsburg only because I pre-registered long ago and prepaid for the dorm. I suffered through temperatures as high as 104 on the ride here yesterday. It's supposed to be 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 110. I'm not going to lock myself in by pre-registering and pre-paying for a room again. I'm to old to expose myself to the dangers of heat. This may be my last July rally. Today is cool with a current temperature of 96 with a heat index of 104.

Yup, this is why I never pre-reg for the rally. I've reserved hotel rooms to some rallys, but I always check into their cancel policy. I want to be able to make the call last minute with no cost to me. I don't mind rain or cold mornings, but high heat is just too much to endure riding in.

Yea it's hot here at the Rally..but I think the Rally people are doing an outstanding job in trying to keep us hydrated. I said the same thing to myself I don't need any thing..well I've spent over a grand in accessories. Very easy to get caught up in the moment of (heat) weakness:nono

Clay
currently at the Bloomsburg Rally

I had a buddy head towards Bloomsburg from the Boston area today, after the second traffic jam in the first 30 miles, he turned around. "My head felt like it could explode!"

I hope we don't lose anybody, it's dangerous out there!

Looking at the pics of the Rally Voni is posting, some of the folks don't look too happy. I'm glad my projects prevented me from planning to attend this year; so I'm not disappointed by having to cancel. Its just not fun sitting around melting in the heat and humidity.

I'd vote to move the rally to a cooler time of year.

Tom

Vote for a Fall National

Last Saturday my wife and I got back from a week ride from Indiana to Arkansas, Missouri, etc. and had the "pleasure" of a week of 100 + degrees and a heat index of 115+ (at least the humidity was low @ 30% and the roads in NW Arkansas were awesome). I too was fully planning to go to the National in PA but, when I saw the heat forecast for the area and the heat here in Indiana, I decided to stay put as I was going to camp (solo ride as my wife is done with camping!). Too bad as I have not been to a National in a few years. Being empty nesters, I vote for a fall National....for what it is worth! Oh well...I guess I can tack three more vacation days back onto my available time off from work!

MOA Rally 2012

PLease, Spring or Fall for the sake of all. This years heat is too much for anyone to have to endure. Better to be wrapped up in a nice sweater than a swelter!

I'm also one of the riders who is pre-registered and decided to stay home in NC. It's a 600 miles one way trip, if you ride ATGATT as I do it's a misery in this heat. I stated this in couple other threads and I'll say it again. East Coast's weather during summer sucks and I wonder what was the reasoning behind scheduling the rally in the middle of the summer???
I do ride my motorcycle to have fun and enjoyment It's not fun riding in this weather and actually down right dangerous.
I hope the board makes a wiser decision for the future locations and times of the year.

5961742819_72e4b380fe.jpg

Maybe some Camping Shade?

OK so it is HOT here.....and maybe most of us here are VERY uncomfortable in spite of the excellent planning and attempts to keep us hydrated.
But at the VERY least when we camp in the middle of the summer, some thought should have been given to a shader camp site. Only about 3-4% have any shade to camp in, now that is something that should have been planned for this time of year.
Just my 2 cents:whistle

But at the VERY least when we camp in the middle of the summer, some thought should have been given to a shader camp site.

Open space is the nature of fairgrounds, and you definitely don't want to camp under trees in a thunderstorm. :gerg

Next year it will be in Sedalia, MO.
I wonder how it is there now?

Thursday, 100 | 77 ??F Clear Chance of Precipitation 0%
Friday, 99 | 76 ??F Partly Cloudy Chance of Precipitation 10%
Saturday, 99 | 76 ??F Partly Cloudy Chance of Precipitation 10%

Every year we get the same reasons that it can't be changed.
We have a lot of teachers going to rallys. The kids are off in the summer.
In Reno, NV half of our schools have gone year-round.

The vendors have to have it in July. Have you asked the vendors ?

At the Lima, OH rally one vendor said she thought thet she was smart by getting a space inside. She said she way wrong there was no air conditioning inside the vendor buildings.

The only change we fear is change itself.

i know what it would take for the MOA board to seriously consider changing the month the rally is held, some of the more influential members to make the suggestion to hold the rally at a different time of the year. when a peon like me makes the suggestion i am sure it falls on deaf ears, but let a member who carries more clout then me make the same suggestion and i bet it will be given serious consideration. although we all pay the same amount for our membership it is just a fact of life that some voices carry more weight then others.

Apropos of nothing, it just occurred to me that five months ago it was 135 degrees cooler here in New England. Relief from the heat is just a few months away.

79051e25.jpg

Next year it will be in Sedalia, MO.
I wonder how it is there now?

It doesn't matter what it is now. The planners have weather data, but not a crystal ball. Sedalia's normal high at the end of July looks to be about 88 and the normal low is about 65. Plan accordingly!

I agree with the earlier comment about not registering in advance. It makes sense to stay flexible and is easier done if the fee hasn't already been paid.

Hopefully there will be minimal injuries/illnesses at Bloomsburg. The MOA will probably take a bath, but that's business. Some years are better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back