• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moving the rally to the spring or fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

nytrashman

i know this topic has been discussed before but given the high temps this week in PA i am wondering what it would take for the powers that be in the MOA to move the national rally to either the spring or the fall. by keeping the national rally in mid July there are certain parts of the country (Arizona, Nevada, southern California, Texas etc.) that are excluded from the rotation just because of there climate in mid July. lets all be honest here, how many really like riding day in and day out in 90 + degree weather only to get to the rally and find that the night time temps & humidity don't offer any relief to those that choose to camp on site. what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held. if i am out of line by suggesting changing the rally to a different time of year then i apologize, but given the fact that upwards of 10,000 riders will be on the road in 90 + temps it only figures there will be a significant number that will succumb to dehydration or heat stroke. perhaps if the first aid tent was filled to capacity with dehydrated riders for the entire rally it might dawn on the executive committee that mid July might not be the best time to hold our national rally.

I was gonna ride there on Friday, but with forecast of 96-100 in Boston, I'm gonna pass.

Hope all that make the effort to get there have a good time and stay hydrated!

Amen brother. Too damn hot to be on a bike or try and sleep in heat like this. One vote from me to move it to different time of year, especially if they hold it in Vermont again during the fall foliage. What more could one ask for?

BMWMOA, change ? :dunno

It can't be done.

:fight

Because, thats why.

:brow

Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. :nono To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.

Early May would be good, early in the season. The #4 post has the explanation for not changing it.:banghead

Yeah, that seems to be the standard response. :nono To be fair, one of the reasons the MOA Rally has such a great selection of vendors is the standard timing lets them plan ahead. But there are parts of the country I'd love to see. Just not in summer...

I was really hoping to check them out as I've been saving up for a shopping spree, but I just can't subject my trusty canine sidecar companion to conditions like this, so will reluctantly pass.

Too hot in Vermont? Say it ain't so...!

what harm is there in trying to have the national in the fall next year, perhaps even alternating the month the rally is held each year. by doing that it will be pretty obvious by the attendance and member feedback which time of the year the members prefer our rally to be held.
i guess the harm is the risk we would face to the revenue that keeps the member benefits flowing. a financially unsuccessful rally is pretty painful for us.

however.... i sure would like to see some focus group research, as well as some more broad-based research, to see if this idea is feasible.

i know of one of the most perfect rally sites ever, except everyone will say **TOO HOT** and discount it out of hand.

but interestingly, it's actually the same temp there this week than it is here in the "north." :ha

ian

The ralls greaty i

Yes, it is July. Yes, it is hot. But that is the luck of the draw. If we had been here last week, the temps would have been in the 70s and not the 90s.

Did that whine come with your BMW?

i guess the harm is the risk we would face to the revenue that keeps the member benefits flowing. a financially unsuccessful rally is pretty painful for us.

i agree that a financially unsuccessful rally puts a strain on the operating budget but to dismiss the idea of holding the rally at a different time of year based on the above statement is the main problem with the MOA, there afraid of change.

look at the success Color in the Catskills has. it is held in the fall (think fall foliage rides) in upstate NY and from the beginning it was a huge success.

if the MOA wants to grow and thrive in the coming years then change in inevitable, and to me that means moving the rally to a different time of the year as well as finding ways to attract new and younger members.

i am sure the idea of changing the rally dates to a more rider friendly month offends some of the old school MOA members but i doubt these members would stay away from the national based solely on what time of the year this event is held.

same goes for the vendors, i highly doubt any vendors would stay away from the BMW MOA national rally based on what month is it held. they know we are all there to not only ride and meet old friends but to spend money, and that money can be spent in Oct. just as easily as in July.

no, that came from Touratech, although it was originally on back order it arrived just in time for the hot, humid weather that has engulfed the NE this past week.

Thanks for advancing the discussion in such a constructive manner.:brow

Yes, there is a bit of luck involved. But sticking with July means that there are some pretty interesting places (like Texas, Arizona, etc) that will never see a national.

How many could not make the rally if it was ran when school was in session? Rather they are teachers or just parents this could be an issue.

I suspect you would find some that would complain if you had the rally in the spring or fall and the night time temperatures dropped into the 50's or 60's. Last time I checked you can't please every one.

Roy

I had planned to attend, but when the weather report came out Monday that it was going to be in the upper 90's in PA and all the NE, I decided to stay home. Nothing at the rally is worth riding all day in this heat.

I think Sept is the perfect time to ride, cool in the north and at least moderate along the middle belt of the country. I know this has been discussed before, and this thing about parents and teachers not being able to attend gets brought up. Yet, the nationals I've been to are attended by mostly a bunch of over-the-hill guys.

The weather does change week to week, and last week in PA I hear was better, but statistically mid-July to mid-Aug is the hottest time of the year. I guess I'll get my next chance to attend a national in about 4 years when it cycles around to this part of the country.

It will be interesting to see what the attendance is considering the NWS excessive heat warning now in effect.

Excessive Heat Warning
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
400 AM EDT THU JUL 21 2011

...DANGEROUS HEAT WAVE TO IMPACT MUCH OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA
TODAY AND FRIDAY...

PAZ027-028-036-045-046-049>053-056>059-063>066-220000-
/O.CON.KCTP.EH.W.0001.110721T1600Z-110722T0000Z/
/O.CON.KCTP.EH.W.0002.110722T1600Z-110723T0000Z/
MIFFLIN-JUNIATA-FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN CLINTON-SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-
SNYDER-MONTOUR-NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY-DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-
LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LEWISTOWN...MIFFLINTOWN...
CHAMBERSBURG...LOCK HAVEN...WILLIAMSPORT...LEWISBURG...
SELINSGROVE...DANVILLE...SUNBURY...SHAMOKIN...BLOOMSBURG...
BERWICK...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...POTTSVILLE...LEBANON...
CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER
400 AM EDT THU JUL 21 2011

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT
FRIDAY...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
8 PM EDT THIS EVENING. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN
EFFECT FROM NOON TO 8 PM EDT FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 90S TO AROUND 100 DEGREES.

* HEAT INDEX VALUES...105 TO 110 DEGREES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTIONS IF YOU WORK OR SPEND TIME OUTSIDE. WHEN
POSSIBLE...RESCHEDULE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES TO EARLY MORNING OR
EVENING. KNOW THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT
STROKE. WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LOOSE FITTING CLOTHING WHEN POSSIBLE
AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER.

TO REDUCE RISK DURING OUTDOOR WORK...THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND
HEALTH ADMINISTRATION RECOMMENDS SCHEDULING FREQUENT REST BREAKS
IN SHADED OR AIR CONDITIONED ENVIRONMENTS. ANYONE OVERCOME BY HEAT
SHOULD BE MOVED TO A COOL AND SHADED LOCATION. HEAT STROKE IS AN
EMERGENCY...CALL 9 1 1.

CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES
UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING HOT
WEATHER...WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A
MATTER OF MINUTES. RESIDENTS SHOULD CHECK UP ON ELDERLY RELATIVES
AND NEIGHBORS...AND REMEMBER TO PROVIDE PETS WITH ADEQUATE WATER
AND SHELTER FROM THE SUN.

I had planned to attend, but when the weather report came out Monday that it was going to be in the upper 90's in PA and all the NE, I decided to stay home. Nothing at the rally is worth riding all day in this heat.

I think Sept is the perfect time to ride, cool in the north and at least moderate along the middle belt of the country.

I agree. I don't get the chance to do many road trips because I am still working, so I'll pick more favorable weather to head out. ATGATT and 100F/high humidity makes for discomfort. Sleeping in a tent when it's still 88F at 10:00 p.m. isn't too appealing, either.

Pick a cooler location, high up in the Rockies, or cooler time of year.

Harry

Last time I checked you can't please every one.

i completely agree with this statement but the fact that this discussion is even taking place tells me there are some members that feel a change is is order. changing the month of the rally does not have to be something set in stone that can never be changed again. in fact, i think something along the lines of even years the rally is held in the fall and odd years it is held in July, thus pleasing the old school, dyed in the wool MOA members.

i also understand that once school starts some folks would not be able to attend, but i think the majority would plan there vacation around the timing of the rally, like most already do.

i am sorry if i came across as whining, i am not, i am merely trying to open the lines of communication to see if it is possible to change when the rally is held, and if it is not possible to change then to find out why.

Three points to remember.

Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having an event during thier school year.

There is also a " break even " point that WE have to obtain to have a successful rally or the MOA will be finacially bleeding regardless how intellegent our stewards have been or will be with the already declined membership.

Statdawg drank too much Kool aid in this heat. :hungover IMO its not as hot as 126 F on a road in Africa, so a little heat in Pennsylvania can be tolerant to see family.

Camp Gears is the future core of the MOA, its our only strong point grasping the " youth market share." WE can NOT afford to limit their rally involvement by having a event during thier school year.

yes the youth is our future but like most adults that will miss work for a week to attend the rally, missing a week at the beginning of the school year does not seem like that big of a deal to me. how many parents pull there kids out of school for a vacation in mid winter?

now please do not get me wrong, or take offense to my next statement but, if you base the time of the rally solely on the school year and Camp Gears attendance then your ignoring what the other 10,000 + members that attend may want. despite agreeing with you that the youth is our future you can't ignore the many for the benefit of the few, even if the few in this case are future MOA members.

September would be the best. Most of us are past the age when we have kids in school and what percent are teachers?
90+ temps are dangerous to be all geared up riding all day.
MOA please take this into consideration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back