• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1982 R100RT Side Stand

b25bsaboy

Put the 82 up on the work bench so that I can better see things and I see that I have a side stand that is not a BMW OEM side stand.
Any idea what sort of side stand it is?

Attachments

• P1030485.jpg
    P1030485.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 129
Brown stands are good.

The oem was/is a p.o.s. on the '82. When the bike leans over on it, the weight of the bike spreads the fork on he upper end of the stand where it pivots on the bracket. After a while it will break, dumping your bike in the parking lot or wherever it decides to let go. Ask me how I know this.:banghead Keep your Brown, or if you want a concourcs bike I'm sure someone here would volunteer to take it off your hands as they are n/a.

The oem was/is a p.o.s. on the '82. When the bike leans over on it, the weight of the bike spreads the fork on he upper end of the stand where it pivots on the bracket. After a while it will break, dumping your bike in the parking lot or wherever it decides to let go. Ask me how I know this.:banghead Keep your Brown, or if you want a concourcs bike I'm sure someone here would volunteer to take it off your hands as they are n/a.

I have had that happen on my Kawasaki Concours once or twice. Know the feeling:cry I have no issues with the side stand other I just didn't know who manufactured it or it's trade nmae
Thank you for your input.

Yep. Looks like a Brown side stand. The stocker on my 82 R100 broke while I was getting off the bike at a gas station. It leaned over and pinned me against the gas pump. The back seat was loaded with camping gear making the situation worse. My wife had to jump off her K bike and save me!
I replaced it with a Brown and have had no problems since then other than the Brown and the Reynolds ride off stand didn't like each other so I went back to the stock center stand.

N-I-C-E scissors jack Rick. Is it s "Handy" ?

BTW, I have a Brown's stand on my /5. When I'm loaded up with gear I drop it as a "safety" before I pull the bike up onto the center stand.

The stands are still availble ay Bobs among others

N-I-C-E scissors jack Rick. Is it s "Handy" ?

BTW, I have a Brown's stand on my /5. When I'm loaded up with gear I drop it as a "safety" before I pull the bike up onto the center stand.

Not sure who manufacture's them, other than it's a Princess Auto Special that without it, my back :bottlewould have gone south years ago.

Back