• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cooking my legs on an RT

Pegs?

I agree about the heat coming off the jugs. It's nice in November, though.
I saw a pair of highway pegs on a bike at this year's mini Sturgis rally in Sturgis, MI. He mentioned going into production with them and I gave him my contact info, but haven't heard a word.
The pegs fit under the valve covers like a metal gasket and had a peg attached to them. I just have a bit of a concern about putting my weight on the heads like that. They allow your feet to be above and partly to the side of the cylinder/valve cover.
I would certainly try them if available. The heat is a bit much in the dead of summer around here even with good riding pants (Rev'It, Olympia).

Jer

Years ago there was someone makeing peg that replaced the center valve cover nut. I did not like the look of that. One is that i find the position to be to high and leg spread out to far to be uncomfortable. The other that if the back fell over or went down the pressure on the valve cover stud would break off bend or cause other damage.

Don

RT's came with 2 different lower center sections that connected the 2 side panels. One was almost a solid piece design with small slots and restricted airflow and the other was slotted with wide openings, good for air flow. Which do you have? If the center section has the small slots, take a dremel tool and open it up or just buy a good used wide slotted center section. If you already have the wide slotted design, and it's running hot, just remove all three lower sectons and run it that way thru the hot months.

I've been having the "pleasure" of riding back and forth from Bloomsburg to my motel about 30 minutes away. Normally I ride ATGATT, but yesterday, after walking around all day in shorts and tennis shoes, I figured I'd just hop on and head back to the room. Holy cow! The inside of my exposed ankles were getting scorched...not sure I have any hair left! Today, I slipped on my boots and long pants over the shorts...much different...I didn't noticed the heat on my lower legs. I didn't realize how hot it was down there right behind the carbs. And this is on the /7 with the Lufty...no lowers.

Obviously you just bought this bike or the issue would have come up years before this. I have owned and ridden extensively bikes from Britain, the US, Japan, Italy, Germany,and India. Every bike has it's flaws, and it's features. On all bikes you are inches (or from less) from the engine. BMW 2v boxer engines are the diesel engines of motorcycling...properly maintained they will go forever. It's roots are in heat dissipation of WWI aircraft where failure was not an option, on the bike your feet are on the backside of that heat dissipation. This flaw for me is way overcompensated by its features. As part of my road kit I wear old leather moto cross boots. I just rode out to Bloomsburg, Pa to the Intl Meet and back 250mi round trip on a 1994 GSPD. 100 degree heat at 85-95mph there and back, no oil cooler hooked up? Bit of neck from the wind buffeting? Maybe .....but I'm trying to be sympathetic. Feet, never noticed them the whole way there and back. Suggestions ? buy a car

Don't buy a car for this reason.

It seems that one thing is that you must be new to the airheads/oilheads/kbikes/motorcycles. Another thing is that it is HOT this year, more than usual. I usually ride long rides and don't tootle around town much, but when I do, I notice the heat too; it is normal. But there are a lot of good ideas here. If you really want to experiment try wearing some full knee and shin guards like the hockey players. They will keep the direct heat off your legs and the added benefit would be if you fell off the bike. Or you could wrap you legs in some kind of reflective shield like they put in the attics of houses, that might work. Or, you could do as I do and just stick your knees out into the wind flow and let them cool off for a second or two and then keep on riding. I do hope you find the solution that will work for you; we don't want to lose any riders because of , "HOT LEGS.":dance

Obviously you just bought this bike or the issue would have come up years before this. I have owned and ridden extensively bikes from Britain, the US, Japan, Italy, Germany,and India. Every bike has it's flaws, and it's features. On all bikes you are inches (or from less) from the engine. BMW 2v boxer engines are the diesel engines of motorcycling...properly maintained they will go forever. It's roots are in heat dissipation of WWI aircraft where failure was not an option, on the bike your feet are on the backside of that heat dissipation. This flaw for me is way overcompensated by its features. As part of my road kit I wear old leather moto cross boots. I just rode out to Bloomsburg, Pa to the Intl Meet and back 250mi round trip on a 1994 GSPD. 100 degree heat at 85-95mph there and back, no oil cooler hooked up? Bit of neck from the wind buffeting? Maybe .....but I'm trying to be sympathetic. Feet, never noticed them the whole way there and back. Suggestions ? buy a car

As the original poster, I have quietly appreciated many of the suggestions offered in a constructive manner. A lot of them were positive, and helpful. But I guess I thought this one needed an answer.

I'm not sure the question of how long I have owned this bike has to do with the fact that it generates a goodly amount of heat on the legs. And which, incidentally, many people with more bikes and more experience than I have, have generously seconded. You are riding a GS. Look down. No lowers. No fairing. Yes, I'm sure it is a bit cooler than an RT.

You know, some people need to step back a bit. These are motorcycles. And a pretty old design all around, to boot. They are not the holy grail. I'm sorry, I can't worship these things. I have an airhead. I have put a LOT of time and money into it. I will probably keep it for quite a while, as I like much of it. But as one poster wisely said,"They aren't perfect." I'm afraid I am not a 'go along-get along' kind of guy. When I see a problem, I say so. If that makes me a traitor to the sacred airhead, I guess I will just have to live with that.

"Buy a car". So, I should take that to mean, " Don't let the door hit you on the way out."? You know, I used to make fun of the, " Our brand or the highway!" mentality of Harley riders, dressed in their pirate outfits, and noses arrogantly in the air to other bikes they deem inferior. Sadly, I think I am seeing some of that in a few Beemer riders, too.

I just had my 83 RT out for a highway ride of a few miles. The heat coming back at my lower legs was equivalent to running a nice 150,000 btu torpedo heater at full blast a few inches from both legs. I have searched the forum but found nothing except that K100s seem to be pretty bad also. Not much help. I know the airheads can be called "heaters" but this is ridiculous. The engine is running fine, that is not the problem. Am I the only one to notice this design flaw? How in the world do people travel all day on these things? Your legs are just being cooked. I think I will look pretty dumb with hand made heat shields strapped to the front of my legs, or having to stuff newspapers down my pants every time I want to go for a ride. Any solution to this very real, and very irritating problem? Does a Goldwing do this? An ST 1300? Oilhead? F bike? Or is it just the.... "airheads"?
John, this is a very valid question. Yes the 1983 RT is hot in summer, especially in humid areas. I couldn't stand to ride mine around Missouri in the summer with the lowers installed. So every May I removed them and put them back on in October. The bike is quite nice without the lowers. I saw a few people gave this same solution. I'm amazed it isn't common practice, but apparently not. Or else a lot of people replied who don't ride RT's in hot, humid places and did not speak from experience.

I have since sold my RT. One of the big reasons for selling it was because the big fairing blocked too much air and made me hot (not because of the engine heat). Now I ride a R1100RSL. To me it strikes a perfect balance for both summer and winter riding and it does not dump any engine heat on me.

I hope that's helpful. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
I notice this too.

My R80RT also runs fine and I notice the same heat from the exhaust due to the fairing lowers blocking the airflow. If it bothered me that much, beneath my leather chaps, I'd remove the fairing lowers or install a trick louver into the lowers.

But, I have grown to accept the heat. I understand the issue and have learned to cope with it. When at cruising speed, I simply move my feet rearward with my tip-toes on the pegs. It's more comfortable for my posture and also it gets my legs away from the heat.

Best advise for summer....Remove the lower fairings. Then when the cooler months hit you'll enjoy the extra heat with the fairings attached.

:banghead

HH

As the original poster, I have quietly appreciated many of the suggestions offered in a constructive manner. A lot of them were positive, and helpful. But I guess I thought this one needed an answer.

I'm not sure the question of how long I have owned this bike has to do with the fact that it generates a goodly amount of heat on the legs. And which, incidentally, many people with more bikes and more experience than I have, have generously seconded. You are riding a GS. Look down. No lowers. No fairing. Yes, I'm sure it is a bit cooler than an RT.

You know, some people need to step back a bit. These are motorcycles. And a pretty old design all around, to boot. They are not the holy grail. I'm sorry, I can't worship these things. I have an airhead. I have put a LOT of time and money into it. I will probably keep it for quite a while, as I like much of it. But as one poster wisely said,"They aren't perfect." I'm afraid I am not a 'go along-get along' kind of guy. When I see a problem, I say so. If that makes me a traitor to the sacred airhead, I guess I will just have to live with that.

"Buy a car". So, I should take that to mean, " Don't let the door hit you on the way out."? You know, I used to make fun of the, " Our brand or the highway!" mentality of Harley riders, dressed in their pirate outfits, and noses arrogantly in the air to other bikes they deem inferior. Sadly, I think I am seeing some of that in a few Beemer riders, too.

Don't take it personally. There are lot of Beemer Weenies, but plenty of good folk also.

FWIW, I've been riding 30+ years, currently have seven bikes in the garage, and my RT is strictly a winter bike, for just the reason at issue. Feet behind cylinders is magic in winter, hell in summer. None of my other bikes is anywhere near as punishing in summer. Nor as delightful in winter. Just a function of the design. No, I've never taken the lowers off. Come spring, time to "winterize" the bike and let it sleep til late fall.

+ 1 on all the replies. To much heat????:dunno Like the old saying says, Get out of the kitchen. :violin I made the same 300 mile ride, in the same heat, to the same rally. Patted 'ol Brutus on the tank just as I turned into my driveway.(my way of thanking him for the ride) he has done this for 160,000. Live with it.:thumb
Brutus is the second best ride I've had in 35 years of marriage and 64 years of life.:)
1der

Interesting thread as this subject came up on our way back from the rally. We met a fellow BMW rider on an 81 R100RT who was heading back home and as we talked I mentioned the lack of heat coming from the R1200RT as one of it's main features when riding in the heat. He had mentioned that a few years back the heat from the cylinders melted parts of his boots.

On some days that heat is most definitely a pain but when it's cold outside it is most welcomed.

Back