• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cooking my legs on an RT

97 here yesterday, rode with my son to the local swimmin hole. Suited up pants & jacket, helmut, gloves Big smile all the way home. We also rode to the RA Ralley in 100 degree heat on the July 4th weekend. 75mph down the freeway for 250 miles, again with big smile on both of us. So if a 8 year old nots complaining I dont see a problem. Now when its 0 degrees and everything all frosted up thats:violin a problem.

88BMWJeff and Roborider,
Thank you for your level headed, insightful, and honest comments. They are much appreciated. I believe you are right. There is nothing wrong with my bike. It is just the nature of that model/year. Older technology. And I think you are also correct that there really is no solution to the problem other than maybe heavy riding pants. If I want to keep the bike I will just have to live with it. Although I sure don't recall my 78 R60/7 being like this. But it did just have a Luftmiester on the front. No lowers. I have found it fascinating to learn that the K bikes are possibly worse in the heat department, something I never knew, or would have suspected. That is extremely valuable information that I know I would never get from a dealer, or an individual trying to sell me one. I can cross them off the list of bikes I might try. I hear nothing but good about the R1200. Wish I could afford one. But even the 1100s and 115os may be a good choice.

My favorite comment was, "They are not perfect." It has had a very calming effect on my outlook towards the bike. Thank you.

jconway607,

keep in mind, combustion engines transfer only 40-60% of the energy in the gasoline to 'movement'. The rest comes out as heat. More gasoline burning - more heat.

Do you have some numbers of your 'hot' experience like air temperature, oil temperature?

What's the mpg for your RT?

Maybe, maybe your motor just burns a bit more gasoline?

I spent hours on my R100GS in 100F temperatures with the oil temperature in the 250F. I wear thin cotton pants but big old military boots and heat at the lower legs never had been a problem for me. Although, my wife sitting behind me has terrible problems with her lower legs and feet...hot and swollen after a few hours.

Go figure!

/Guenther

I agree with the OP. I had an airhead RT several years ago with the full lower fairing. Yes, it's one hot ride in the summer! I installed Baker Air Wings which helped quite a bit but looked dorky. The real solution was to remove the lower fairing and allow the oncoming airstream to blow the heat away.

I have a Nikasil and also an iron RT. I run both without lowers, and have not noticed a heat problem with either. I have noticed an overcooling problem with the Nikasil bike in winter, so that would support those running hotter.
It also tends to be very low hunidity here, so that may well be the major factor keeping me from having a problem. I do always wear boots, so that may also help my comfort.

There are simply basic thermodynamic laws at work - heat has to go somewhere - so just take the lowers off the fairing for less directed he at up and back at you. Seriously, hot enought to burn hair off your legs? I highly doubt it. If it actually was that hot, your fiberglass and paint job would also be in jeopardy. Actually, my airheads, including my 88 R100RT, didn't blast me with as much heat as aK bike, or my 1998 Kawasaki Concours can on 100 degree days, sitting in traffic, so it is just the nature of motorcycles with large displacement engines.

If you can't take the heat, take the car and turn the A/C on.

What does this have to do the the excess heat coming off the cylinder onto my legs? Actually, I think I am mighty familiar with BMWs. I've just spent two years completely rebuilding mine. Right down to the two little rubber O rings on the brake shaft. So your point is that by switching to Nikasil cylinders they solved one problem and created another? What does ease of checking the oil level, or the birth of the GS have do to with this discussion?

Nikasil bikes don't burn oil like the iron bikes do.

Iron cylinders on a G/S would lead to overheating in "crawling" riding.

Heat transfer to ambient is much better with Nikasil--only you consider this a problem.

And, it's obvious a 600 doesn't generate as much heat as any 1000.

It is, admittedly, fairly typical of BMW to not have tested the new configuration in USA conditions--same as they used to not do with the inadeqate air condtioning they put in their cars and same as they did with fuel recirculation to a metal tank between rider's legs with the first K-bikes. There's not fuel between legs on any of today's fuel injection bikes I think.

... I don't know how else you can phrase it so as not to hurt BMW's engineering staff's delicate feelings.
That's laughable. They aren't delicate. Denial perhaps, but delicate feeling? That's a first.

I have always had the highest regard for BMW , but I am beginning to see some chinks in the armor. No, my bike doesn't have an oil cooler. Sounds like it should, though. I don't believe BMW put them on all airheads out of the factory. Why not, if they needed it? Yes, I have all the emissions stuff. Stock bike, just like BMW designed it. ....

Not all bikes had oil coolers and their effectiveness is arguable IMO. The emission stuff was to meet North American standards and can safely be removed without issue so long as your state permits it (I think most do now).

At the risk of starting a thread within a thread, could I ask everyone for a recommendation on a pair of riding pants that they have used and that they like. I think many of the people who have responded to my original question are correct. Just heavy jeans aren't enough. The extra protection of special clothing would probably solve several problems and make riding more comfortable and safer. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. I gather that these will be worn over street clothes, or am I mistaken there? Thanks.

I wear a one piece suit over no street clothes. A Phantom and a Stealth (Olympia) for Winter and Summer. I have a pair of RevIt pants and RevIt makes good quality gear. I never wear anything over street clothes. I wear the suit over Bonn padded under garmet and a microfiber shirt. That and some Alpinestars socks and that's it. If I get hot, I soak the shirt in water for cooling.

My buddy has a Tourmaster which also makes a great suit.

Just about any large displacement motorcycle will be toasty in the summer, but it just comes with the ride...like headwinds and bugs.

But my 100RT is Nowhere near as hot as the K11RS I used to own. It was very uncomfortable...even with Tourmaster pants, my upper legs were cooking. I wrapped the underside of the tank in silver insulating material, which helped some, but it was still way hot....and somewhat disconcerting to hear what sounded like boiling liquid inside my fuel tank...

My solution? Sold the K and got back on an Airhead.

I ride with full boots, tourmaster pants, Dairen jacket, gloves and full face..Hot in the summer, yup, but again, it is part of the gig of riding a 2 wheeler.

Boots

Jconway607, I know you are asking about pants.... But even more important may be which boots you may be wearing and you have not said.... Almost knee high good quality boots with high cotton socks will act as a very nice insulator to protect your ankle and shin from the heat. Jeans and low boots will not cut it.

Add an Aerostich and no engine heat whatsoever. Better keep moving with the Aero, though.

BTW I ride an R100rs and have had Rts as well. Never took the lowers off.

Eduardo.

Almost knee high good quality boots with high cotton socks will act as a very nice insulator

Eduardo.

Cotton certainly works, but the motorcycle specific microfibre socks (various brands) work much better at keeping your foot cool and wicking away sweat. Just like with the jerseys, cotton is old school and old tech!

My boots are mid shin height and tall boots are good. When I lowsided, my boot took a beating instead of my foot.

cooking leg on rt

I agree good pair of boots and socks help alot.I have a r80rt and the heat is not bad at all.

There is nothing cool about riding in extermely hot weather. I think choosing a pair of pants for such a day is a catch-22. The pants that would block out the hot air would prevent just about all airflow in and out, and would be very hot in hot weather regardless of riding. Imagine wearing two pairs of pants (pants and the overpants) on a 100+ degree day. I've found mesh pants to be the best option for me, but it sounds like that's not the preferred choice of some here.

FWIW, on hot days, I wear shorts under my Motoport Kevlar mesh pants. I also have a pair of Ralley 2 Pro pants, which seem to be just as hot. However, when the temp gets to 95 degrees or more, I leave the bike at home. It's just too hot for me.

Good point

Cotton certainly works, but the motorcycle specific microfibre socks (various brands) work much better at keeping your foot cool and wicking away sweat. Just like with the jerseys, cotton is old school and old tech!

Have not tried those but you make a good point corroborated by reviews, etc. Ought to try them some time,

Eduardo.

The socks I get from Motorcycle superstore (off brand) are good. But really the shirts are what really make a difference. I found Champion Duo Dry (100% microfiber ones-they make cotton also) at Target are about as cheap as you'll find anywhere. Soak one in water and wring it out and it'll keep you cool for a good 30-60 minutes. I use them for bike riding, too. I just went out tonight (Tour de France has me riding more) and it was great. But it was about 95 and super humid, so 6 miles and I was done. 6 lousy miles. Hot is HOT.

Back