Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air Force Museum in Dayton

Yup, top notch

It's been a few years since I was there, but I have to agree that it's better than the Smithsonian. More room to walk around, more neat planes. You can easily spend the better part of a day there.
    Dan

Ol salt
    And don't overlook the fact admission is free!!!!!

You will not walk away from here dissapointed!

I highly recommend anyone going to vintage days and looking for a place to kill time until rally put this on your must stop and see list, and it will take all day to see. It's unbelievably large.

Visited the WP Air Force Museum last year. Not to be missed!!

I really enjoyed a visit to the museum in 1976 when I was 8. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again now that I know a lot more about aviation.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay

Looks to be about 75 miles south of the Rally and could easily take up a whole day!
    Mike in Lima was kind enough to provide a route for you to ride to The Birthplace of Aviation.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Ride more, work less

Motorcycle access

Does anyone know if you need a military base sticker to ride your motorcycle to the museum? I am retired Air Force so I know that normally you can't ride a motorcycle on-base without a sticker. In a car you can get a temporary pass but not on a motorcycle unless you have a card that shows you have had a MSF training course, are wearing reflective vest or clothing, a DOT helmet, gloves, long sleeves and appropriate footwear. The military are VERY safety consious about motorcycles. Hopefully the museum has it's own entrance because I'm going regardless of the trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by Honez
    Does anyone know if you need a military base sticker to ride your motorcycle to the museum? I am retired Air Force so I know that normally you can't ride a motorcycle on-base without a sticker. In a car you can get a temporary pass but not on a motorcycle unless you have a card that shows you have had a MSF training course, are wearing reflective vest or clothing, a DOT helmet, gloves, long sleeves and appropriate footwear. The military are VERY safety consious about motorcycles. Hopefully the museum has it's own entrance because I'm going regardless of the trouble!
    They have their own entrance. If you visit the new Presidential and experimental annex, you ride a shuttle 1/2 mile across the tarmac.

Mapsource route available

Mike in Lima kindly provided a nice riding route to the musuem, and you can download it here. (notice the ice cream waypoint...)

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

1flyer
    Honez,

The last time I was at an AFB I was on my LT and got a temp pass without any problem. I had ATG so that wasn't a issue.

You will not be disapointed

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Debbie and I plan to spend the day there Friday or Saturday.
    Love to look at aircraft.
    Lee, it is the best Air Plane display in the US. And because you are are motorcycle rider you get the best parking and best of all it is free, or should I say this is your taxes at work at something you will enjoy.

There are many ways to get there depending on where you are coming from. I entered an article in the April BMW ON to help present this one of a kind experience.

If you need further information call me at 419 420 7422

JUST ANOTHER REASON TO COME ON HOME TO BEEMERVILLE, USA

SEE YOU DANCING IN LIMA

Fred Turner
    Co-Chairman Hospitality
    REMEMBER--THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION

Grizzled adventurer

Bikes at the AF Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyer
    Honez,

The last time I was at an AFB I was on my LT and got a temp pass without any problem. I had ATG so that wasn't a issue.
    There was an Internet BMW Riders gig to the AF Museum a few years ago and we didn't have any trouble getting in.

--PirateJohn--
    www.BuccaneerPress, home of PirateJohn's Most Unique Guide to Motorcycling In Northeastern Florida

Good ice cream.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

chas1969
    Chain Gang is having a pre-Rally campout July 18th-20th at Greenville Ohio. Anyone with F650 or Chain Gang'er is welcome!!! Goto f650.com for details. or write me chas1969@hotmail.com

Greenville is 40miles from the Air Force Museum. And we plan on going the 19th to check out the museum!

Thanks

Charlie C

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    Tina's family is from Dayton and we always make it a point to get over to Wright Patterson. The airplanes are absolutely amazing.

My favorite? The XB70. There were only two built and one crashed. The other is sitting in the museum where you can get a good look at those six engines hanging out of the back.

Plan on a full day, at minimum. You'll need it. Even at that, you'll have to skip a whole bunch of stuff.
    Good advice: plan a day's stay to see everything.
    Oh, and it's free. How cool is that?

MotorradMark

Wright Pat Visit

Definitely on the must-see list. Will probably head up Fri.
    semper fi
    Mark