• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Airshell Jackets

Zygmund

Pusser's Pyrate Society
Looking at the BMW Airshell Hi Viz jacket in a dealers showroom the other day and a rider walked in with an older Airshell Hi Viz on and I couldn't believe how faded it was. I talked to him about the jacket and fading and he has approx 40,000 miles under him with the jacket on and other than the Hi Viz fade he loved the jacket.
Anybody else experiencing fading?
:lurk

BMW Airshell Jacket

I have had mine for over a year now. I have washed it several times to remove bugs, road grime. It has faded somewhat, but is still highly visible.

The Airshell is still my favorite warm weather jacket and I have owned First Gear and Olympia high viz. The First Gear, while inexpensive, does not wear well with use. The Olympia is a quality jacket, but was too short waisted in its design for my long torso.

I have seen several of the Aerostich high viz jackets, where their owners do not wash them and they are not only faded considerably, but look terribly grungy. Reminds me of my youth in coal country seeing the miners clothing after emerging from their shift in the mine.

The sun (UV light) is probably the greatest contributor to fading, on any fabric. I don't think you can expect the high viz color on any garment that is exposed to UV light to remain as bright as when it was new, due to that exposure.

If I get two or three more years out of the Airshell, I will trash it and buy a new one. I have observed that BMW improves each new generation of their clothing line, some of it is design modification and some of it is pure fashion.

Bill

There was a recent thread on this subject. Do a search on Airshell jacket fading and you'll find it.

Harry

I'm a big fan of Hi Viz Neon Yellow... e.g. scorpion helmet, olympia x 2... but I'm afraid fading is a nature of the beast with the color... I'd still choose nothing else!

303 Aerospace Protectant

Check out this product. . .

The only protectant specifically recommended by the manufacturer of those big rubber sheets used for all RV roofs, and it can be used on anything -- leather gloves, fabric, motorsickles, your dog and cat. . .total UV protectant, which should prevent the fading of the hi-viz. Needs to be re-applied every so often for maximum benefit.

Green product, and I think you could even bathe in it without incident.

Don't confuse this with Armor-All, one of the most overrated products on the market, IMHO.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

I have had one for a year. Faded badly. Zipper pull broke. Zipper on its way.

Not worth the money in my estimation, though it is a comfortable jacket. I will probably move to a better value like the revit air, even though red is the only high vis option for it.

SH

I've had my Airshell for almost 2 years and it's still as good as new, It's gone 15k miles thru rain, snow and sun and it's still super bright, maybe its 10% off of what it was when new.

I have had one for a year. Faded badly. Zipper pull broke. Zipper on its way.

Not worth the money in my estimation, though it is a comfortable jacket. I will probably move to a better value like the revit air, even though red is the only high vis option for it.

SH

I have a Revit mesh jacket. Definitely nothing special.

I wear a mesh hi-viz vest over both my armored riding jackets. A fellow rider said I was very visible. I also wear a white helmet.

Back