• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWMOA Not Very Attractive to Some

Some groups, Long Distance Riders comes to mind, announce and get crowds at local or less local rides-to-eat and other events without having a club structure to go with it.

this is the heart of my joiner/loner question.... how much do people feel a need to belong anymore vs. just get some info and go do their own thing?

we have two primary appeals: timely & relevant info, and community.

one appeals to the need to be informed about a person's bike and activities surrounding it.

the other appeals to the need to feel as being part of a group.

yes, the Internet has pried open the timely & relevant info box.

but i am not sure where the sportbike crowd stands on the group thing. if there still is a need, what is it centered upon? Brand of bike? Type of riding? Other? Does belonging require meat-space interaction or does an avatar and an on-line reputation do the trick?

And... if there is a need to belong, is there a perceived value equal to a club's annual dues? :dunno

ian

I've got an idea. If you want a younger crowd then fix the tap-a-talk issue. Since most people have smart phones now this an issue BMW MOA needs to address. Sometime this fall the Apple devices will go to OS 5 with cloud. This will do away with the need for a PC. Other devices will follow and some have already gone this direction. Tablets and smart phones will take over at some point. What this means is that not fixing whatever the issue is with the old security software means people will not be able to access the forum to post. Essentially you can access the forum now but cannot participate. How is that possibly good? This issue has been ignored by MOA and needs to be addressed soon. When you sell suspenders and trucker hats on the web site it speaks volumes. You are not trying to attract younger members. You must keep up with tech in this world and you must attract new and younger members. BMW has a plan, does the MOA?

PS. Don't jump me I am just the messenger. I am a member but reality is what it is.

I've got an idea. If you want a younger crowd then fix the tap-a-talk issue.

yup. i am not a huge fan of Tapatalk, but it sure would be nice if it worked for those who use it.

wish we had moved to a modern AAA solution years ago.... it's really dogging us now.

When you sell suspenders and trucker hats on the web site it speaks volumes.

:ha

Well, I just noticed that I'm the author of the last post in this part of the Forum and its dated June 22. Today is July 13.

Doesn't look like MOA is of much interest to the generally younger riders of sportbike which is the most successful launch by the brand in a long time.

RA is at least trying- don't know if they're doing any better, yet, though.

Anybody ever ask themselves why this group has a headquarters in the middle of nowhere re motorcycle culture and an approach that is apparently without any results in reaching a large group of BMW owners? I'm too old (nearly 65) to want one of the sportbikes but I sure like those kids- I've taught their car culture equivalent for a long time and they are just plain fun to be with...

I can see the point your trying to make.

The ONLY way we keep the MOA going is to offer something for the 'YOUNGER' riders.
The last (2) Rallys I've been to, I bet the AVERAGE age was 50+.
That would be the 49er and, Autum Beemer Bash.

It's funny to see this post - I enjoy the MOA because it isn't the sharky community like the SoCal sportbike scene I was out and about in during my 30's/ZX11 years. At 48 I prefer the relaxed nature of MOA GTG's and low-keyness, and also prefer my sportbiking to be with very small groups now, and the competition muted. It really cuts down on the accident factor and plastic litter on interesting roads.

However, when the MOA sent me their survey, I replied with a very detailed list of reasons gathered from my 24 year old son and his buddies. Here's what they want:

1.) To meet gals their age that ride..don't we all?
2.) To meet gals...

3.) They thought the bigger MOA events were good, but wanted these types of events locally and lower cost; IOW more local clubs doing stuff. Since they mostly ride sportbikes, a 500 mile + trip is more or less out of the question. Never stopped me but this is the XBox generation.

4.) Money for them is a big concern and although brand cost for a BMW is an issue, maintenance cost is too.

His BMW pick was an F800ST but we couldn't find a nice used one that wasn't lowered, so he ended up with an SV650. Nice bike though he would have ridden the ST more due to comfort.

Also, the younger folks do tend to be more competitive, and more inclined to take unsupported risks (riding outside the envelope, etc). I guess in the end, I think the MOA caters to the age group it caters to and that's probably a good thing.

I'll be showing up at the next local KY rally on the 1000RR just for fun though : )

Having stunt bikes at the Nationals is a quantum leap into the late twentieth century by MOA and BMWNA. I never thought I would live long enough to see that at an MOA Rally, and I sure enjoy it. Maybe having a non-geezer band at the beer tent might help as well. Leave the nostalgia cover bands and country bands on the main stage playing to the main crowd.

Last edited:
re: Bikerfish

If you show up at a rally in K entuck Y....

you might just hear banjo music!!!!! :clap

In the middle

I joined the MOA right before ordering my S1RR in '09. I was 41.
I keep hearing about members that have been around for 20+, even 30+ years....they didn't join when they were 50, so youngin's have been members fer quite some time.
I do spend a lot more time on another forum site where the smart-ass youngin's provide most of my on-line moto-tainment. But my membership here isn't in jeopardy. When I need that pure BMW mainline hit, I come here to get it. It's just different flavors...

LONG LIVE THE MOA!

It's funny to see this post - I enjoy the MOA because it isn't the sharky community like the SoCal sportbike scene I was out and about in during my 30's/ZX11 years. At 48 I prefer the relaxed nature of MOA GTG's and low-keyness, and also prefer my sportbiking to be with very small groups now, and the competition muted. It really cuts down on the accident factor and plastic litter on interesting roads.

However, when the MOA sent me their survey, I replied with a very detailed list of reasons gathered from my 24 year old son and his buddies. Here's what they want:

1.) To meet gals their age that ride..don't we all?
2.) To meet gals...

3.) They thought the bigger MOA events were good, but wanted these types of events locally and lower cost; IOW more local clubs doing stuff. Since they mostly ride sportbikes, a 500 mile + trip is more or less out of the question. Never stopped me but this is the XBox generation.

4.) Money for them is a big concern and although brand cost for a BMW is an issue, maintenance cost is too.

His BMW pick was an F800ST but we couldn't find a nice used one that wasn't lowered, so he ended up with an SV650. Nice bike though he would have ridden the ST more due to comfort.

Also, the younger folks do tend to be more competitive, and more inclined to take unsupported risks (riding outside the envelope, etc). I guess in the end, I think the MOA caters to the age group it caters to and that's probably a good thing.

I'll be showing up at the next local KY rally on the 1000RR just for fun though : )

Those views were incorporated into the GT Giant format of events. The program was designed to bring our members together with an activity to do before and during the rally (Giant Trip), then at the rally, the competition gymkhana (Giant Track competition) with a professional rider to bring out the competitor in us all. Finally, the Saturday morning "Coffee with..." session will bring all the Giants together to talk and discuss what they learned and how it impacted them and what to do for the future.

Maybe this tactic could be tried: Any bike is accepted, yes we do swear by the blue/white roundel, but any brand is accepted in our fold. :thumb

I had two kids walk up to the 450 in Bloomsburg, and they said the same things. Now if I can let the wife believe a RR is a worthwhile investment with our other 3 track bikes...

Back