Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: grounding a bike ( lightning rods)

Motorcycle hit by lightning............May the rider RIP

RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I avoid riding in thunderstorms.

Any benefit to parking the bike directly under power lines? Would that provide some shielding overhead? The top wire would act to intercept lightning? Or am I just being too optimistic?

I know under a bridge would be a good spot, but the nearest bridge might be 40 miles away or more...

Harry
    We parked ( and stayed in the trucks) under transmission towers during really bad T-Storms when working in the substations or right- of- ways in the flats. The smaller top wire on those type lines is a lightning shield for the high voltage carrying conductors. Now your only worry is if the line burns in two and falls on you before the breaker opens the circuit or a fuse blows!

And if the tower/pole is hit, there is a voltage gradient radiating away from the ground rods at the location...like a rock dropping in a puddle. If your feet are far apart you could be at two different potentials...not a good thing!That's why they suggest the tight crouch and feet touching each other if you are out in the open.

And around here not much hiding space under bridges due to all the cagers seeking shelter as well during hailstorms. Not a good place to be in a tornado either according to the experts!

We got caught outside of Gillette as well coming in from Spearfish one evening like Kevin mentioned...Nasty cloud to ground hits very close -by...we waited!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Well that's a pi$$a!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Thanks you guys provided some interesting responses. I guess the best defense is not riding in a thunderstorm or delaying a journey until it passes through the area. But, I still don't understand why all the HAM radio guys are not getting cooked while riding. HAMS always have huge antennas on the back of their vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbluck View Post
    Thanks you guys provided some interesting responses. I guess the best defense is not riding in a thunderstorm or delaying a journey until it passes through the area. But, I still don't understand why all the HAM radio guys are not getting cooked while riding. HAMS always have huge antennas on the back of their vehicles.
    Because if hit, they are safe inside the cage - an advantage we don't enjoy on a bike.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

And, also. . .

I understand that lightning can strike ground (or you on a m/c) miles AWAY from what appears to be the area directly under a T-storm.

In the desert SW, it's hard to tell exactly where the main cell is when you're looking at it. . .so it may be waaaay closer than you think. Fortunately, they tend to move away pretty fast.

This stopping and hunkering-down in open country is a hard thing to do, just as stopping for a brief rest is hard to do when we're underway and getting tired -- it's a momentum thing, and failing to take these prudent precautions can definitely spoil yore day.

Then again, as previously mentioned by LMO, when your number is up. . . .

Seems as if the thunderstorms are getting bigger and "better," or maybe I'm just paying more attention.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

na1g

Smile

Here's what you need. I have no patent on this so you may use this idea for free if you decide to go into business manufacturing them.

Picture a motorcycle inside a giant canary cage. The cage would have no bottom, of course, and the vertical cage wires would have to contact the ground. Some engineering and testing would have to be done so the motorcycle could still lean in turns with the cage still contacting the ground all around. Seems do-able.

Give a whole new meaning to the term "cage." What about wearing one of those World War 1 German helmets with the spike on top? (Not Snell approved) What about exercising some common sense by getting off the road and having a coffee or burger during an thunderstorm?

Sorry - I think the heat is getting to me...

pete

or.. ... .

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Simple.

Automobile = Faraday Cage
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I worked as an EMT many years ago. Lightning strikes cause paralyzing injuries. Respiratory failure is considered common. Often times people assume the person is dead and do nothing. Often giving mouth-to-mouth immediately will revive the person. Sometimes if they are in respiratory failure and cardiac failure, then CPR is required.

Motorcyclist are at a distinct disadvantage. The rule of motorcycle accidents is not to remove the helmet until you get to the hospital. If the person is unresponsive, and obvious injuries due to the accident, they are least likely to receive the vital mouth-to-mouth to revive them. Hence they die because of it.

The correct medical treatment if the person is unresponsive, is to check for a pulse. If they don't have a pulse, then do CPR with chest compression AND mouth-to-mouth. If they have a pulse and are unresponsive, then mouth-to-mouth is vital to save the person's life. This means breaking the rule of removing the helmet. This must be done immediately. The person cannot be revived if you wait a couple minutes. This description is short and quick, and a qualified medical expert might take different assessments and medical response.

If I recall correctly, there was a NPS ranger who was struck 7 times during his career. He survived all of them. Some people have a higher affinity to being struck then others.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    ..................If they don't have a pulse, then do CPR with chest compression AND mouth-to-mouth. If they have a pulse and are unresponsive, then mouth-to-mouth is vital to save the person's life. ..
    The current trend by the Red cross is to eliminate the mouth to mouth, and just do chest compressions. Use to be as low as 5:1 compressions to breaths, NOW it is 30:2, and I an told for the non-professional rescuer it mat go to just compressions.

That said yes, if someone is dying, removing the helmet may save their life.

Dale Rudolph
    As to being safe inside a car, can someone explain why you would want to be
    within a few feet of 20 gallons of gas in a tank with thousands of volts of electric
    currant going through the vehicle ? There must be a simple answer to this.

na1g
    Sure. The gas tank is surrounded by steel just like you. There is no reason a spark would occur inside the tank. Aircraft are occasionally hit by lightning, usually with little effect. But another scary thought is that electric fuel pump that lives and works inside the gas tank between your knees, relying on liquid fuel for cooling. Crazy, eh?

pete

Dale Rudolph
    Na1g; I can see where there may not be a spark, but there has to be an extream amount of heat in a lighting bolt. But if I'm ever in the situation, I'll have to believe
    the experts and stay in the car.