• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Class Action Lawsuit Against BMW NA

I seriously doubt you have a reasonable chance of getting a class action suit to accomplish much.

Having said that, the solution to your problem is simple. You stop supporting BMW by buying another brand bike. It is simple, effective and less intrusive of requiring a lawyer. It also worked for me after riding the marque for over 3 decades.

BMW is still stuck on stupid IMO for the idea that you are buying a "lifestyle" as opposed to a vehicle. They expect you to get all dewy eyed over the fact that it is German engineering with a roundel on top of it and accept the fact that they are putting out a bike that is maintenance intensive. In the club here it's called drinking the koolaid. Zere ist nein problem mit der motorad, yet zere will be a zolution for der nonexistink issue in a couple years like der non existink surge.

Tired of the issues? Dump them and move on to something that is better suited for you. Eventually they may get the idea when sales drop.

Suing them won't really get their attention. They have in the past already indicated they find the US to be a smaller part of their market. They also dropped the BMW system helmet for US sales over suit concerns years ago. You could buy them in Canada but not the US because they felt the market was not worth the trouble.

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675
Call 1-800-831-1117 for Customer Relations

Better than a class action

Get as many disgruntled BMW riders as you can and ride to there corp headquarters with signs and loudspeakers and hopefully get media attention. Stay as long as you can.

At least you'll get a ride out of the deal

I called this number and actually got more upset after talking to them. No help at all. She said she would log the complaint. I asked if I would hear from anyone and she said they would follow up. I asked how they would follow up and she said they would follow up. So perhaps this explains why gray tanks are massing on the border of my property line.

Have you actually asked the service manager at the dealership where you bought the bike to print out all the latest maintenance schedules for you? If yes, what was his response. If no, I suggest that's where you should start. Don't ask for a verbal reply; ask for the maintenance schedules to be printed out (there's more than one, e.g., running-in check at +/- 1,000 km; BMW Service and BMW Inspection (one's every 10,000 km, the other's every 20,000 km); Annual service; and, there are also some that combine the Annual with either the "Inspection", or the "Service"). BMW Canada's website has schedules for most of the latest models available for download. That said, like those available on some dealer websites, some are out of date. Every time I have my bike serviced, I get a copy of the relevant maintenance schedule, duly completed by the tech.

My point was, and is, that BMW so far has been unable to come up with a fix for the strip problem. And that is true whether I like it or not (which I don't). But until I read about and see concrete information that leads me to believe they actually have a fix, I wouldn't throw any of my money at a second, or third, or sixth failure prone fuel strip. I would allow a warranty repair at their cost, but I wouldn't throw good money after bad buying stuff which has proven itself to be unable to work for very long.

I believe they went back to a float with the 2011 RT model.

Have you actually asked the service manager at the dealership where you bought the bike to print out all the latest maintenance schedules for you? If yes, what was his response. If no, I suggest that's where you should start. Don't ask for a verbal reply; ask for the maintenance schedules to be printed out (there's more than one, e.g., running-in check at +/- 1,000 km; BMW Service and BMW Inspection (one's every 10,000 km, the other's every 20,000 km); Annual service; and, there are also some that combine the Annual with either the "Inspection", or the "Service"). BMW Canada's website has schedules for most of the latest models available for download. That said, like those available on some dealer websites, some are out of date. Every time I have my bike serviced, I get a copy of the relevant maintenance schedule, duly completed by the tech.

Very good advice. I'm having my bike serviced prior to heading to the rally and am confident that my tech will perform the appropriate service for the mileage.

The online parts fiche for the '10 RT says the strip is up to 08/10 model...further down the page was this from 08/10...wouldn't it be nice if it was plug-n-play? # 2 is a FLOAT!

Attachments

• RT float assy.png
    RT float assy.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
To some extent I share your frustration with BMW as a participant in the trend of businesses to limit or dumb down the information they are making available to consumers of their products. That said as a businessman I am frustrated with consumers that 'come to the table' threatening to sue.

I sincerely doubt the ability of you to successfully launch a class action case. BMW Motorrad makes Riders manuals free in a download pdf format available to owners at

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

You can purchase a printed copy through your dealer.

Maintenance manual CDs may be purchased through your dealer. These will include service-and-maintenance schedules for you to follow and the information and instructions to help you do that work. It is my understanding that service-and-maintenance that become out of date can be purchased, at least that is my experience.

For example you can search the parts fiche at http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx online.

BWM is hero and villain depending on the day of the week. From a business standpoint customers are threatening to sue for not enough information, too much information and everything in between. My long term contention is that what ever your view of BMW collecting and making accurate information available is an opportunity for the MOA to deliver on the idea of being the 'essential accessory' for BMW motorcycle owners.

Let's say they thought about it but didn't want to admit their previous mistake and go back to the original mechanical float.

Sorry all you 2011RT drivers. No floating for you!

Jack

re: "By the way has someone been holding a gun to your head to force you to buy/own a BMW?? "
"
brilliant

Last edited:
"By the way has someone been holding a gun to your head to force you to buy/own a BMW?? "
"
brilliant

That ranks right up there with "Nah nah na-poo poo" on the top ten list of useless rationalizations.

Though someone obviously made a choice to invest in a particular marquee, once those dollars have been laid out, there are reasonable owner expectations of performance, reliability, disclosure and resolution that comes with that investment. That partnership applies to any brand motorcycle.

BMW is hemoraghing respect, and they would be wise to pay attention. :violin

BMW is hemoraghing respect, and they would be wise to pay attention. :violin

:scratch

"For the first three months of this year, BMW Motorrad sold 23,109 motorcycles ÔÇö an increase of 10.9% compared to the previous year ÔÇö which is its best quarterly result in its history." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

"BMW released their June sales figures which show an increase of 2.1% in BMW motorcycles sales. Adding the 11,831 June total (up from 11,584 last year), BMW Motorrad saw their best ever first half of the year in sales. BMW Motorrad sold 60,580 vehicles through June of 2011." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

But that's world wide. Perhaps they are only in trouble in the US.

:scratch

"For the first three months of this year, BMW Motorrad sold 23,109 motorcycles — an increase of 10.9% compared to the previous year — which is its best quarterly result in its history." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

"BMW released their June sales figures which show an increase of 2.1% in BMW motorcycles sales. Adding the 11,831 June total (up from 11,584 last year), BMW Motorrad saw their best ever first half of the year in sales. BMW Motorrad sold 60,580 vehicles through June of 2011." -- BMW Motorcycle Magazine

But that's world wide. Perhaps they are only in trouble in the US.

Ahhhh ..... statistics. Most of those 'impressive' figures are the rebound from a depressing previous sales year.

How is our dealer-network doing here in the US?!

How much recitivism is occurring?!

Often more reliable benchmarks of gauging the motorcycle industry. :bolt

Its just that the whinning is getting a little LOUD! IF its made by a flawed man it will be flawed to some extent.:violin:dunno

That is why I have a spare transmition and a rear drive unit sitting in my garage for my 11rt 96 right next to a r100rt beauty. I'm over it now continue please.
These machines are still more fun than the competion
Remember the cheapest part on a beemer is the driver.

Whining? Flawed? I have a pitching arm too if you want to start throwing stones.

Let's say they thought about it but didn't want to admit their previous mistake and go back to the original mechanical float.

Jack

RTFuelSystem.jpg

What is the cause of action? A number of different issues are mentioned in the post. They may have been experienced by a number of owners, but do they rise to the level of an actionable case. But then some people file lawsuits even without an actionable claim.

Once filed you have to get the court to designate it for class action which involves a number of additional hurdles. Is there a class, how do you identify it?

If you manage to get this far, the attorney's fees have just begun. You will have countless motions, counter motions, discovery issues with possibly hundreds or thousands of plaintiffs to deal with.

If you survive the motion and discovery process they you get to the trial. What will the court of jury do with the case? And getting the case to trial doesn't mean you'll get a verdict. Look at what happened to Roger today.

And if you get a verdict what will it be. Remember the famous case of Dr Wladislaw Dering V. Leon Uris (QB 7) involving the novel Exodus. The doctor won the libel case, but only got a half-penny in damages and was then was ordered to pay ?ú20,000 in court costs.

Class actions have been won in the past and will be won in the future, but you really have to be willing to ..."Go the distance."

Easy :lurk

3-1 You have to love it!!! Go USA!!!

:brow:brow

Jack

Uh, post #32 & 44 say otherwise:thumb

Oh, and I am still not suing anybody, I do have a great set of used Firestone tires off my 91 Exploder if anyones interested:wave

Last edited:
Back