• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Class Action Lawsuit Against BMW NA

Ahhhh ..... statistics. Most of those 'impressive' figures are the rebound from a depressing previous sales year.

The "best quarterly result in its history" comment pertained to number of motorcycles sold, not earnings. And it was most units sold, not "the highest percentage gain". In the first half of this year BMW sold 60,580 motorcycles. That again is more than they've ever sold the first half of any year. Kind of hard to reconcile that with "hemoraghing respect".

That ranks right up there with "Nah nah na-poo poo" on the top ten list of useless rationalizations.

Though someone obviously made a choice to invest in a particular marquee, once those dollars have been laid out, there are reasonable owner expectations of performance, reliability, disclosure and resolution that comes with that investment. That partnership applies to any brand motorcycle.

BMW is hemoraghing respect, and they would be wise to pay attention. :violin

Thank you Greenwald. I could have not said it better--at least not as nice!

Jack

:brow:brow

Uh, post #32 & 44 say otherwise:thumb

Oh, and I am still not suing anybody, I do have a great set of used Firestone tires off my 91 Exploder if anyones interested:wave

Damn, there I go beleiving my sales person again! Well I guess if that is correct they are admitting the strips were an error, right?

Jack

Last edited:
Sales numbers increasing does not mean customers are all happy and satisfied. Much of the increase in sales has been the RR as many dealers will tell you. BMW has done a good idea of advertising and bringing new bikes to the market that attract a younger owner. Why the younger owner? To bring them to the brand in hopes they become loyal and stay with the brand. Loyalty is a two way street. BMW bringing them in and keeping them is two very different things. It is not like the issues mentioned in this thread are on the national news like a Toyota story and scaring the consumer off before a purchase. These are owner experience issues and JD Power has not contacted any of you to ask your opinions on owning your BMW have they? Let me answer that for you, no they have not. Let me make is clear. I love my bike. First BMW and I am tickled pink with the bike. I am not so happy with BMW NA and there lack of customer service and owner appreciation. They suck in this area. It would have been so easy to make me happy. I never imagined such a simple request would be handled in such a way. Still have not had follow up from BMW after a week. I guess dropping $20k on a new bike does not warrant any attention.

Damn, there I go beleiving my sales person again! Well I guess if that is correct they are admitting the strips were an error, right?

Jack

It wouldn't be the first time. In 1983 they introduced the K100 with strips. They were still on the '85 models when they arrived in the US. By 1986 they had floats and continued to have floats until the K1100 and K75 were discontinued as models.

They may be slow and they may not say much but quitting doing something wrong and starting to do it differently is not beyond them. Back in the / (slash) days they continuously made product improvements and we accepted those as improvements, not admissions of grave guilt.

Exactly why we wouldn't want them to do this escapes my grasp.

They force you to go to the dealer and if you call 4 dealers you will get 4 different requirements on what needs to be done.

:scratch My BMW shop manual clearly lists maintenance requirements.

I don't know what the law is where you are but I doubt it is any different than where I live. I do not need to take any of my vehicles to a dealer for maintenance, not even during the warranty period. In fact, the work does not even need to be done by a mechanic. All that needs to be done is that the maintenance is performed.

It wouldn't be the first time. In 1983 they introduced the K100 with strips. They were still on the '85 models when they arrived in the US. By 1986 they had floats and continued to have floats until the K1100 and K75 were discontinued as models.

They may be slow and they may not say much but quitting doing something wrong and starting to do it differently is not beyond them. Back in the / (slash) days they continuously made product improvements and we accepted those as improvements, not admissions of grave guilt.

Exactly why we wouldn't want them to do this escapes my grasp.

The problem the way I see it and you have described it is to accept the discrepancy or buy a new $20,000 bike hoping it will not have a problem that they (BMW) will not recall and fix properly.

Not everyone can afford a new bike to fix a design problem when BMW refuses to recall and fix a problem they have created. The right thing to do would be to recall and retrofit all bikes (and there are thousands and thousands) with this problem not just say buy a new bike from us and we will try to get it right this time! This is a horrible and immoral way to generate new sales.

If as you say, fuel strips were tried as early as 85/86 and were found not to work, why do they try to reintroduce them again and sell this off as an improvement? This is what " escapes my grasp"!

Paul I have owned well over 125 motorcycles since 1952. My first BMW purchase was in 2008/2009-R1200RT and F650GS (twin). I have had more multiple recalls on the same problems than all the other bikes combined. ie gas tanks, fuel strips, fuel sending devices, chains, canniters etc. Six fuel strips? Three gas tanks? Three fuel sending devises (650)? These problems continue and BMW will not come up with a redesign that is a permanent fix.

This is what " escapes my grasp" Paul.

Jack

I have had more multiple recalls on the same problems than all the other bikes combined.

And as good/reliable as Honda's are, the owner of a Varadero who I was chatting with in the parking lot of a REWE last week while still in Germany told me there was no comparison between the Varadero and the GS that he had tested numerous times.

The problem is, he can't afford the extra Euros to buy a GS.

Interesting, as new discounted Honda Varaderos are a steal up here and I have been thinking about one for a while now...as an addition. If only they'd come out with some nicer colors.

This is a horrible and immoral way to generate new sales.

How many people do you think would buy a new bike because the fuel gauge wasn't reliable on his existing bike? Now, how many of those people would buy a newer version of the same bike? And you think BMW is doing what they do to generate sales? Seem's the opposite to me. :dunno

A Better Idea

I am a retired attorney who has ridden BMWs since 1966. I agree with the other attorney who has commented on this subject. Rather than a class action, it would be far quicker, cheaper, and more effective to bribe a technician at your friendly local dealership. If he says they don't have one either, well, we're all in deep doodoo.

1987 K100LT mit seitenwagen

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

I received a phone call from BMW NA yesterday in reference to this complaint. I called them originally on the 11th or 12th of this month. They addressed the issue by saying I could ask the dealer for this information. Also said it was noted and they would look at the possibility of putting this info in the manuals in the future but nothing would happen quickly. (I am paraphrasing here so don't put too much into the choice if words). I explained part of the problem is the dealers don't really want to get specific on this issue and would rather tell you what they think you need to do instead of what is mandated, like changing trans oil at 6,000. I explained by them referring me to the dealer and not offering up any info they were complicit in any unnecessary work being done. I don't know that point ever hit home. Essentially I went on to bitch more about how my ownership experience of the car is much better and that motorcycle dealers in general just suck when it comes to customer relations. So in the end nothing has changed and probably will not any time soon as he noted. I did however call BOB's BMW and they were awesome in getting me this information and setting me up with everything needed for service. When I performed that service I found the dealer had rounded off the oil filler plug for the rear drive. Another call to BOB's for a new one and I am ready to go.

Where's Bob's info?

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

I received a phone call from BMW NA yesterday in reference to this complaint. I called them originally on the 11th or 12th of this month. They addressed the issue by saying I could ask the dealer for this information. Also said it was noted and they would look at the possibility of putting this info in the manuals in the future but nothing would happen quickly. (I am paraphrasing here so don't put too much into the choice if words). I explained part of the problem is the dealers don't really want to get specific on this issue and would rather tell you what they think you need to do instead of what is mandated, like changing trans oil at 6,000. I explained by them referring me to the dealer and not offering up any info they were complicit in any unnecessary work being done. I don't know that point ever hit home. Essentially I went on to bitch more about how my ownership experience of the car is much better and that motorcycle dealers in general just suck when it comes to customer relations. So in the end nothing has changed and probably will not any time soon as he noted. I did however call BOB's BMW and they were awesome in getting me this information and setting me up with everything needed for service. When I performed that service I found the dealer had rounded off the oil filler plug for the rear drive. Another call to BOB's for a new one and I am ready to go.

Since Bob's was "awesome" in providing you the necessary info...can you post for all to share? Otherwise you're being BMWish with tech data.

I have the big key ring now. Nice to be the man with the fuzzy nuts. I did not realize I had this power otherwise reserved for the mental midgets until now. Now I see why a GED and this information makes them feel so powerful. Can I let go of something so intoxicating without making someone pay? :nyah

Essentially every 6k oil, check valves and sync throttle bodies
12k add rear drive, trans, flush brakes, spark plugs

oil 4 qts 10/40 cold, 20/50 hot weather. switch to synthetic when stops drinking which may take up to 18k.

Trans 1 qt 75/140 synth and rear about .25 qt 75/90.

You can get all the crush rings you need from them and you need 2 for trans change, 1 for rear, 1 for oil and 1 o-ring for rear. You can get the feeler gauges and a throttle body machine for $119.

After doing this work you will still need to visit to have the service light turned off. I really don't want to mess with the brakes so I will let them do as well as any actual valve adjustment if needed.

Next time I will buy Mobil 1 75/140 and 75/90 for the change as they have nice tips on the bottles to make this easy. I used Spectro and filling either takes some ingenuity.

I found information by going to the BMW mottorad web site and finding an email address for the group that sets up factory tours in Berlin. I then asked them my (tech) question and requested they forward it to the appropriate person. They actually did that, and a gentleman called with an answer several days later. He had a German accent, so I know the answer was correct.

I agree stuff should work, but if you gas up every couple of hundred miles, you'll be fine. Anyway, so far my RT handles well and runs fine. If it still does those things in five years or so, and if I can find a comfortable seat, I may buy another.

That ranks right up there with "Nah nah na-poo poo" on the top ten list of useless rationalizations.

Though someone obviously made a choice to invest in a particular marquee, once those dollars have been laid out, there are reasonable owner expectations of performance, reliability, disclosure and resolution that comes with that investment. That partnership applies to any brand motorcycle.

BMW is hemoraghing respect, and they would be wise to pay attention. :violin

Kevin nailed it. Operative phrase is "reasonable expectation" to perform as advertised.

Tired of BMW's attitude?

I spent much of the Bloomsburg rally with a long time BMW rider and driver. In the last few years, he has had so much trouble with new BMW bikes, and such unfair treatment by BMW, that he would like to swear off the marque altogether, just to retaliate. He's looking at a new V-Strom or such, when he'd really like a new GS (that doesn't leave him stranded).

My suggestion was to simply stop buying new BMW bikes. Buy good, low mileage, well tended used bikes. He will save a bundle, have a nearly new bike, and deprive BMW of 100% of their new bike profit on the sale, not to mention their sales numbers. Better yet, the first owner can do the beta testing for him, and the hand-to-hand combat with BMW over the leaky final drives and inoperative fuel gauges, etc.

They won't get the message. BMW's lock step, jack booted executives (Pieter de Waal not included) won't take notice, but you can have the satisfaction of knowing they didn't fleece you.

Check out MCN's used bike values, and see how much you can save with a one or two year old BMW.

[Uh oh, there goes my Friend of the Marque award that I was never going to get anyway.]

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/usedbike/2010NovNADAGd.pdf

Back