• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Ride Reports forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bourbon Tour

Has anyone ridden the bourbon tour in KY? With the planning that has been done so far we will be going through towns like Harrodsburg, Perryville, Lebanon, Bardstown, Clements, Lawrenceburg, Frankfort, etc. using back roads as we make our way to the various bourbon distillers. I know we will be doing some riding on Hwy 127 & 68 as IÔÇÖve been told those were great historical roads to travel. IÔÇÖm looking for any information of places we shouldnÔÇÖt miss, any suggested routes; great out of the way places to eat, etc. Also what kind of weather should we expect in mid May? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Central America

Here is a short movie clip of our ride through Central America to Panama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZx86EZGKY

The plan was to airfreight the bikes to Ecuador, but my buddy Goran (tall guy) did not have the requisite visa to get into Panama, so we turned back.
Nevertheless, we had a great time. The people are wonderful, food and lodging dirt cheap, and no misadventures came our way. The Mayan ruins are fascinating, the geography ever changing, the border beaurocracy unbelievable.
We did about 15k kms in 5 weeks. The weather was perfect (winter), warm at low altitudes, cool in the mountains. The return ride through the USA was very cold (first week of January) Highway droning in 30 degrees was a bit of an ordeal.
My F650gs did not miss a beat, and proved to be the better tool when the going got tough. Those 3 bedroom 1200's are just too heavy, although you could really load them up.
A memorable ride!

:wave

Sorry didn't brig a camera

Since there has been very little to do as we have been waiting for the coders to recue us,satelite is down. I thought today would be a nice day to go for a pleasant ride On my BMW."Tink"

A nice trip to a small town noth east of Oshawa, Ontario it was a bit chiily as it is just the start of May. Went up the Chimong road, this road was the way the early Irish settlers used when the Canadian govenment of the 1830's. Gave grants to the imigrations from Ireland with 70 acer parcel's of land along with the way to help settle the town of Peterbough,Ontario. there you can find on the Ashbunam road, the famous Lift locks of the Trent Canal. And while I was there I had a chance to go into the Peterborogh Museum. There it has the history of the town, The founding fathers who were Irish settlers(Roberts, Adams) and business men. Also the history of the Thomas Edoson Company you may know it by it's current name, General Electric. Also anothe famous Company who has been there for @100 years,is the Quaker Oats Company nice display's for both Companies. There also is anther Company to note and it was mad famous for their Canoes,anothe exellent showing, the displays are rotated and new ones introduced every 3mths. if you ever get a chance go, great time was had
so I am home now and writing this little story. hope you liked it.:gerg :ca :ca

(FTA is down):cry :cry :cry

Last edited:
Thursday was such a great day here in South West Ohio, a friend and I rode up from the Cincinnati area to Clifton Mills, Ohio, passing and riding thru some of Ohio's Covered Bridges.

Attachments

• DSCN0592.jpg
    DSCN0592.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 320
New BMW owner

I just bought my new 2004 R1150RT, one week later I decided to take short trip.
Started on Saturday Oct 24 with sunny clear sky's and 45 degrees. (Murfreesboro TN)
Rode from Nashville, through KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, NM, TX, OK, AR, MS, AL and finally back to TN. 12 states and 3169 miles.
My Mother and sister live in Colorado Springs and used that as my turning point. I took a day trip up into the Rockies, through South Park, over Hoosier pass, Breckenridge, Leadville... a perfect ride in the mountains, the pavement was dry but there was snow on the side of the road.
I took interstate all the way to Colorado but on the way home I stuck to the two lane backroads. Travelling down to NM then crossing over the pan handle of TX. working my way through OK, then back into TX. Spent one night in Texarkana, then over to MS where I picked up the Natchez Trace and followed that home.

Looking forward to finding some riding buddies. My wife like to ride but just day trips right now.

Rich

Attachments

• Pikes peak view.JPG
    Pikes peak view.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Long Island New York to Newfounland July 2008

Attachments

• Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip 7-26-08 390.jpg
    Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip 7-26-08 390.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 240
I just bought my new 2004 R1150RT, one week later I decided to take short trip.
Started on Saturday Oct 24 with sunny clear sky's and 45 degrees. (Murfreesboro TN)
Rode from Nashville, through KY, IL, MO, KS, CO, NM, TX, OK, AR, MS, AL and finally back to TN. 12 states and 3169 miles.
My Mother and sister live in Colorado Springs and used that as my turning point. I took a day trip up into the Rockies, through South Park, over Hoosier pass, Breckenridge, Leadville... a perfect ride in the mountains, the pavement was dry but there was snow on the side of the road.
I took interstate all the way to Colorado but on the way home I stuck to the two lane backroads. Travelling down to NM then crossing over the pan handle of TX. working my way through OK, then back into TX. Spent one night in Texarkana, then over to MS where I picked up the Natchez Trace and followed that home.

Looking forward to finding some riding buddies. My wife like to ride but just day trips right now.

Rich
Let me know if you decide to head to S.C. Kenny...

Woooo Hooooo

I got to ride my K100 today, first time since mid november! I got to go.... a whole 20 feet! I know, this is sad. :cry I just wanted to make sure it would start and move it to a different spot in the shop. If it weren't for 200 feet of ice/snow and 50 feet of mud, I might have been able to make it to the road for a quick, cold ride. I will just have to stick to riding my horses for now. Darn

The good news however, started right up! My boyfriends cold blooded beast (Honda Magna) took more than 10 tries, and some choice words.

Fishing in Naples

Our annual fishing trip was scheduled for January 16- 19 in Naples Fl. (840 miles) A two year work project was due to go live on the same dates, so I had to decline and did not book any airline tickets. However as the date approached and seeing delays with the project launch I started looking at riding down to Naples. Then I checked the weather map. The high for Murfreesboro TN was going to be 28, (just too cold for me) but Wednesday Jan 14 the high for the day was 44 degrees, which is not too bad to ride in. So I took off a day early with the cold front chasing me all the way south. I fugured the faster I headed south the warmer it would be. I left around noon on Wed. and pulled into a hotel about a hour north of the Florida state line on I 75. (400 miles). The next day was an easy ride as temperatures got better during the day and ended up in Naples around 5pm.
I spend Thursday night and Friday in Naples, got one fishing trip in then headed home on Saturday. (Monday was the new launch date and I had to be home) I wanted to leave room for delays as the cold front still lingered around. There is a pass north of Chattanooga that can get iced up easly and I needed to hit that during the warmest part of the day.
From Naples I rode to Atlanta. As I was going through the Atlanta bypass it started to sprinkle/ rain. At 9 pm the air was cold and with wet roads I decided to pull in for the night. Sunday I slept in and waited for dry roads, I was home in just a few hours, a pretty easy ride and sunshine to warm me up.
I wore my Tourmaster series 2 jacket and pants. When it got cold I wore a fleece jacket under the Tourmaster which kept me warm. I could have used heated pants, but with layers on it was okay. The problem was keeping my hands warm. My gloves would heat up with the heated hand grips and then sweat a little. When I pulled over and took my gloves off the moisture in the gloves would freeze and it was hard to get my hands warm again. I also took a pair of leather mittens which worked out perfect. I was afraid that it would be hard to clutch or brake but that wasn't an issue.
Temps ranged from 70 in south Florida to 30's in GA.
The total trip was about 1770 miles.
If I can do this trip in the coldest part of the year... I'm getting the map out and looking at Daytona, it's closer and it would be warmer!
RJ

Another tease of a ride

I didn't get to ride my beemer, but I was able to sit on my Boyfrieds honda while he pushed a few doors down to another shop. :cry It was only 20 degrees and the bike wouldn't start, it to both of us to get it over the ice, (almost dropped it). I definatley won't try that with my big brick. It will stay in the shop til the ice clears out of the pasture. To all you people able to ride right now.... I am jealous!:bow

ride

Well dont feel bad, I just moved my bike 2 feet. well its a start,antisipation for dry roads is killing me....matthew

All of you are making me ashamed that I live in Texas,I went for a 340 mile ride Sat. It was in the low thirty s when I departed,but quickly warmed up mid 60;s to the low 70;s for most of the day. I guess I will shunned for now on.

All of you are making me ashamed that I live in Texas,I went for a 340 mile ride Sat. It was in the low thirty s when I departed,but quickly warmed up mid 60;s to the low 70;s for most of the day. I guess I will shunned for now on.

Here now, catuspat - Ain't no cause to be ashamed of living in the greatest state in the union! Let us revere this great state and revel in the year-round riding' weather. :burnout

I'm ridin' to Anderson this Saturday to meet some folks for lunch - they want to see my new ride. We give them Yankees a little vicarious relief from their snow-bound cages.

Manfred;where you having lunch I mite be able to get there by noon CactusPat. Not trying to butt in just looking for an excuse to take another ride.

Cactuspat - we're meeting at Kott's Cafe at 11 AM. I am NW Harris County. It would wonderful to have you meet with us. Let me know - I have a nice route planned.

I do not have GPS but on the map it looks to be 400 mile round trip from here,that is a little to far for lunch,but thank you for the invite , maybe when you come south or west we can meet up Cactus Pat.

I do not have GPS but on the map it looks to be 400 mile round trip from here,that is a little to far for lunch,but thank you for the invite , maybe when you come south or west we can meet up Cactus Pat.

And you call yourself a Texan:laugh I've ridden that far for a haircut!

Just kiddin' ya know? Not so much on the haircut part however!

I don't blame ya. I've backed out on long rides for chow before.

I will be planning a Saturday ride into the La Grange area for March. Stay tuned :D

La Grange sounds good let me know when you are planning to ride there Pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back