• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2 meter antennas

:lurk Using a Diamond NR770HBNMO on my truck. Not really into going motorcycle mobile at the moment...

:lurk Using a Diamond NR770HBNMO on my truck. Not really into going motorcycle mobile at the moment...

It'll be primarily for APRS.

I've run with a 5/8 wave whip mounted low on a luggage bracket in the past, but considering other options. Will check out what they have at HRO in NH sometime early next week.

What antennas are you folks using on the bike for 2 meters?
Hi Tom, I am using the Yaesu AMK-1 license plate bracket with the YHA-M10 Yeasu VHF/UHF mobile antenna, Yaesu coax also. It's nice, neat and out of the way mounted to the license plate but as you would guess-a compromise. This is all hooked to that FTM-10sr we had spoke of in the past. BTW it seems the FTM-10sr has been discontinued as a AZ friend of mine got the last one AES had. HTH Gary

This is all hooked to that FTM-10sr we had spoke of in the past. BTW it seems the FTM-10sr has been discontinued as a AZ friend of mine got the last one AES had. HTH Gary

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying that new Kenwood APRS/GPS dual band HT. D72? Will also take a look at the Yaesu lic. plate mount -- it sounds interesting.

Ultimately, I suspect I'll go back to the 5/8 wave setup, but it's nice to see other options. APRS isn't all that reliable via motorcycle mobile, especially with an HT. I had better luck getting out using the higher power Kenwood radio (D700 ?) but couldn't run it with heated gear - dead battery guaranteed.

There was a ham in Maine a few years ago looking for me on the turnpike. We almost connected in Lewiston, unfortunately, I didn't see his packet message until I got home. He's a radio guy for the staties there and had an APRS laptop in his work truck. Pretty cool. I did connect with another guy up in Jackman for the same reason --APRS on the bike, just because he heard the beacon when I pulled in to get fuel. Still, pretty cool. His wife was with him and they both had calls.

Yeah, I have a Spot too.

Back