Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insurance riding through Canada from USA

Insurance riding through Canada from USA

I live in Florida and motorcycle insurance is not required here. I want to ride to Alaska and was wondering if motorcycle insurance is required in Canada? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sasan
    1993 BMW R100GS PD, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1969 BSA A65 Lighting, 1962 BMW R27, 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub, 1942 BSA M20 WWII

Yes it is required in Canada.

Webbikeworld has information on insurance.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-insurance.htm

It is required in Canada and you can be checked at the border, but I've crossed in and out of Canada many times and have never been checked. I have also never made contact with a Canadian LEO, but I imagine they check. Best to get insurance.

Alaska certainly requires insurance and the LEOs will check to see if you are carrying an insurance card. Pretty stiff penalty for not being insured and they can prohibit you from using the vehicle until you produce a card. Not sure how they handle uninsured out of state riders. Best go on their website and findout.

Nice PD.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into it further than.
    Sasan
    1993 BMW R100GS PD, 1973 BMW R75/5, 1969 BSA A65 Lighting, 1962 BMW R27, 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub, 1942 BSA M20 WWII

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    You ride a bike on the road without insurance??? FWIW you are required to have insurance in Arizona much less Canada.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

If you're pulled over by a cop in Canada the first thing he/she will want to see is registration and proof of insurance (just like - almost - every other jurisdiction in North America). Never knew there was any jurisdiction in NA where you could operate a motor vehicle on public roads without insurance.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Motor vehicle regulations vary on a province-by-province basis in Canada like they vary state-by-state in the US. The penalty for no proof of insurance in Ontario is a maximum of $5000.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Unhappy

I spoke to a local police chief who I know and asked him what the response would be to an out of state rider without insurance..... impound.
    Kevin Huddy

Thumbs up just because it's not required doesn't mean you should'nt have it

Quote Originally Posted by smmotorco View Post
    I live in Florida and motorcycle insurance is not required here.
    Your call, but just because it's not required doesn't mean you should'nt have it.
    I'm required to have liability only, but I have full coverage.
    max
    delaware

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I carry both my registration and the coverage page from my insurance when riding in Canada. Never been asked at the border, never been stopped by cops there either, but from what I hear, that's when you need the proof.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I understand that Federal interstate commerce regulations allow uninsured motorists from states that don't require insurance to drive in states that do. Having said that, operating a vehicle without liability insurance is nuts.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

My insurance company provided me a proof of coverage specifically for Canada for a trip last year.
    I was never asked for it in four border crossings, but was asked for it when I got pulled over for a traffic stop in Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. (I didn't get a ticket.)
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I understand that Federal interstate commerce regulations allow uninsured motorists from states that don't require insurance to drive in states that do. Having said that, operating a vehicle without liability insurance is nuts.
    I have my doubts about that being accurate. Our local police certainly do not seem to believe it is so.
    Kevin Huddy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I did a search and found that Washington, Montana and Florida do not require motorcycle insurance.
    In Nevada the insurance law is that any vehicle that is registered in this state must have Nevada insurance.

Registered in this state must have Nevada insurance.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Insurance is not required in NH either...
    I carry a Canadian Proof of Insurance Card in my passport, a simple call to my carrier once a year to get a copy.
    Thankfully no one has pulled me over to look at it this year.

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT