• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about an F800RT?

+1 on that.

Hope they would keep the 19inch front wheel for those of us who ride ill maintained secondary roads and dirt roads.

I find very little difference in handling and turn in on my F650GS than my older r1100RT in aggressive pavement riding....but the fatter smaller diameter wheels/tires of the R1100RT makes it a very poor handler in loose gravel ( any dirt road that has been recently graded). if your touring is off smooth roads the larger diameter wheel is a real plus.

I like the idea of an 800 or 900 cc sized RT model.

Please BMW , do not make it look like another ant eater GS bike.:brow

I currently ride a 1985 R80 ( not an RT ) there is enough power from the engine most of the time, but a bit more low end grunt would not be a bad thing.

F800rt....

If BMW decided to make the F800RT, or maybe a F900RT, then put my name on the dotted line. I think this is something that BMW should give a serious look at. There are a lot of people who would love a smaller, true touring, modern BMW motorcycle. I think it would sell VERY well!!

I've been following this thread as it's been a topic of discussion among some of the guys I ride with, but when my K1200GT became a bit much for my aging body, I test rode an 800ST but purchased a new RT.

At 580lbs fueled and road ready this bike is light enough and so nimble its a pleasure to ride. I'd never say never, but an 800RT would have to be a hell of a bike before I'd ever give up all the comfort, features and performance I get on the 1200.

A rule of :thumb
that I use is to try and buy motorcycles that are as close to 2.5 times my weight .

As I get older that works pretty well for me, but it is hard to match the formula exactly.

i too would love a F800RT but since BMW does not seem to want to give us this bike like many others i bought a 2011 F650GS and set it up the best i could for long distance touring. in addition to an aftermarket windshield (madstad) i put the aeroflow hand guards, duct deflectors and leg guards on my bike. this gives me very good wind/weather protection which is also easily removed to allow more air to reach me during the hotter months. a custom seat, rox risers, a set of jesse boxes and a givi top box and my "mini RT" is pretty much ready to hit the road the road.

would i like a real F800RT, yes but it would need to be better then my current bike in a few areas. belt drive is a must. a larger gas tank, even another 1 gal to extend the range a little would be great. although i have no problem with the alt output on my 650 a higher capacity alt would be nice. a manually adjustable windshield right from the factory along with some integrated, removable luggage would be on my wish list. i also would like to see a lower first gear and a taller sixth gear then what i have on my 650. if BMW would build this bike i would buy one tomorrow. whether they do or not is not up to me and until they do i will keep riding my "mini RT"

141956580.jpg

Nice job on the bike. :thumb

I've ridden this bike for hours on end, super highways, back roads, through cities. It gets 58-62 miles per gallon of gas, it's light weight and easy to handle, and it's beautiful and practical. I give you the BMW F800 RT.

Her name is "Mithril" although she's more like Shadowfax!

Len:thumb

What windscreen do you have? It looks like it would give good protection.

I test rode an '08 F800ST a couple of weeks ago. I thought the engine performance was very nice, but the seating position is just too sporty for these old bones.

After thinking about it for a few days I wondered why BMW doesn't make an F800RT. I talked it over with the salesman I deal with at the local store and he thought it was a good idea. In Europe they don't care for the liter class and bigger touring bike, but something along the lines of the old R800RT, with modern horsepower, brakes and suspension sounds like a real winner to me. I might even trade my '01 R1100RT...

Looks like BMW was sort of listening to you. They are apparently bringing out an F800GT

F800GT or RT?

With the wide array of accessories for the ST, handlebar risers, windscreens, luggage, footpeg lowering kits, etc, it's already a decent touring machine.

To be a true "RT" BMW would have to smooth the engine out a bit. While I love my F800ST, it is still a but vibey for extended long distance travel.

To be a true "RT" BMW would have to smooth the engine out a bit. While I love my F800ST, it is still a but vibey for extended long distance travel.

Well don't tell Voni. She rides all over, short days, long days, on her F800S and loves that bike.

Annie has put 3300 miles on her F650GS in the past 12 days, including a 4 day break in Moab. No complaints about it being buzzy from her.

My knees are aching just looking at it!

Yah, mine too :beer

But, I do have to say that along with my RT, I picked up a F650GS and it's a hoot to ride. I have taken it on some 400 mile days and I can only think that engine in a F800 chassis with it's USD forks and belt drive would make a good platform.

The R1200RT (as good as it is) is still a 100 lbs plus heavier than my F650 is (or my old R100T was) and for the type of roads I tour on, and at my age, that 100 lbs shows in my bike handling at the end of a hard day.

The GT looks to be close but no cigar. There will be a huge aftermarket thriving on selling what it takes to convert it to an "RT".

Back