• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

How about an F800RT?

I test rode an '08 F800ST a couple of weeks ago. I thought the engine performance was very nice, but the seating position is just too sporty for these old bones.

After thinking about it for a few days I wondered why BMW doesn't make an F800RT. I talked it over with the salesman I deal with at the local store and he thought it was a good idea. In Europe they don't care for the liter class and bigger touring bike, but something along the lines of the old R800RT, with modern horsepower, brakes and suspension sounds like a real winner to me. I might even trade my '01 R1100RT...

since there is no BMW F800RT and like you, my old bones ain't liking the riding position of the 800ST i bought a 2011 F650GS. i added the complete Aeroflow package, touring windshield, aerogards, duct deflectors & leg guards, the last two painted to match the bike. the Aeroflow package, although not cheap, gives me good all weather protection and gets me as close to a "mini RT" as i am going to get. the upright seating position the little GS has is just about perfect for me, but in all honesty if BMW came out with a F800RT tomorrow i'd buy one.

here is a pic of the bike with the leg guards on but the duct deflectors were still at the paint shop when this pic was taken.

135480221.jpg

135480217.jpg

F800rt

Depending on location:

2005/2006 F800S Released

2007/2008 F800ST

2008/2009 F800GS

2009/2010 F800R

2012/2013 F800RT

Progression and release history seems about right.

Would be a Great option for those looking for a BMW RT "Lite" ! :drink

Depending on location:

2005/2006 F800S Released

2007/2008 F800ST

2008/2009 F800GS

2009/2010 F800R

2012/2013 F800RT

Progression and release history seems about right.

Would be a Great option for those looking for a BMW RT "Lite" ! :drink

When the F800S/ST was introduced, the president of BMW Motorrad went on record announcing the GS and R versions yet to come. There has been no indication there will ever be an F800RT.

The subject has been covered in two other threads:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=39698&highlight=f800RT
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=31949&highlight=f800RT

The 800RT will be available

.... the day the Honda NT700 starts taking business away from BMW. But that will probably not happen until gasoline hits upwards of $8/gallon.

I've sent BMW emails pleading for an 800RT but we vote with our wallets. I will sign any petition if someone has the time to put one together.

Rodney: I used to have an R1150RT but am now riding an F800ST. With some bar backs, wider bars, Buell footpegs, and a Corbin seat, it's pretty comfortable. While it very definitely lacks the awesome front suspension of the big RT, it makes up for it in versatility. I've used mine for touring, track days, and some long treks down mud roads.

from this:

DSCN0016.JPG

to this:

IMG_0189.JPG

I've got one!

I've ridden this bike for hours on end, super highways, back roads, through cities. It gets 58-62 miles per gallon of gas, it's light weight and easy to handle, and it's beautiful and practical. I give you the BMW F800 RT.

Her name is "Mithril" although she's more like Shadowfax!

Len:thumb

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
I test rode an '08 F800ST a couple of weeks ago. I thought the engine performance was very nice, but the seating position is just too sporty for these old bones.

After thinking about it for a few days I wondered why BMW doesn't make an F800RT. I talked it over with the salesman I deal with at the local store and he thought it was a good idea. In Europe they don't care for the liter class and bigger touring bike, but something along the lines of the old R800RT, with modern horsepower, brakes and suspension sounds like a real winner to me. I might even trade my '01 R1100RT...

I like your thinking! Needs to be less tall though, for a short legged person!

To add fuel to this already fine thread why not a F800RT triple based on one half of the current K1600 model.

Could prove interesting....

Rumors of an F800RT

OK, it might happen. I was talking to a BMW dealer who was telling me it's top secret stuff, but BMW IS actually thinking of making an F800RT. They've gotten a lot of feedback about the weight of the R1200RT, and how people like it, but they would like a lighter bike...the F series is the right weight, but not ideal for longer touring....so they might maybe have heard our cries. I'm in the same boat. I do not like the seating position of the F800ST, the GS is way too tall, the 650GS lacks performance, so the money stays in my pocket cuz there's nothing BMW makes that I want right now. I'll just stick with the too heavy RT right now!

OK, it might happen. I was talking to a BMW dealer who was telling me it's top secret stuff, but BMW IS actually thinking of making an F800RT. They've gotten a lot of feedback about the weight of the R1200RT, and how people like it, but they would like a lighter bike...the F series is the right weight, but not ideal for longer touring....so they might maybe have heard our cries. I'm in the same boat. I do not like the seating position of the F800ST, the GS is way too tall, the 650GS lacks performance, so the money stays in my pocket cuz there's nothing BMW makes that I want right now. I'll just stick with the too heavy RT right now!

That would be awesome if it happens! I don't "need" another bike but if they make the f800RT I am defiantly buying one.

I guess a may need a bigger garage!

Thought I'd revive an old thread with a new twist. Is it just me or is the C650GT basically what everyone has been looking for in an F800RT? It's light, upright ergos, heated everything, tpm, abs, adjustable screen. I guess the only place it doesn't live up to the idea of an f800rt is that it has a 60hp twin instead of an 80hp twin. I'm taking a close look at this bike though. Excited for it to come out, whenever that may be.

SH

Like several who have posted here, I chose the F650GS and outfitted it with Jesse's and the full Aeroflow set up. The basic F650GS gives me the right ergonomics, upright seating, relatively unbend knees, long flat seat to move around on (Sargent upgrade is better). The Jesse bags are better then BMW and the Aeroflow wind screen and options give coverage nearly..but not as good as the wind tunnel design RT fairing I has on my earlier RTs.

I would have like to have the belt drive of the F800ST...but the ergo's were too much of a sport bike to me to take for more than an hour at a time.

I wish the F650GS tank was just a bit bigger but over 200 miles between refills is not that bad as is.

But I would like to see BMW do a new F900RT with the new Husquvarna version of the 800 engine, belt drive, a real BMW RT fairing...a manual windshield adjustment is better for weight and cost. I hope a 19inch Front wheel for those of us who like rough secondary roads and dirt roads..., some more wattage from the alternator...for more heated gear for those of us who live in the colder climates.

I've watch the treads on the new water boxer (1300??...130hp) it seems likely to be evan heavier than the current R1200RT..and just as bulky. A great bike but I want some thing lighter, more nimble at slow speed...and something that handles poor and dirt roads /gravel better.

Still waiting

I'd swap my F650GS in a flash for such a bike.

A stronger alternator!

If Motorrad is to create an 800RT, it will need to include an alternator with more output than the wimpy one on current F twin bikes. A touring bike will have more electrical demands placed on it, tho' my F650GS does have many of the farkles that I used on my R12RT. I am just afraid to use too many of them at the same time on the 650, e.g., I road home at night a few weeks ago and had my low watt aux. driving lights and my Zumo with xm on to pass the time. It should have maintained a charge with the motor operating at about 4K RPMs during the ride, but when I got home I hooked up the battery tender and it took a long while before the battery tender indicated the bike's battery was once again fully charged. Don't know what would have happened if it had been too cold also and I needed the grip warmers, or worse yet, an electric jacket to get home.

i too would love a F800RT but since BMW does not seem to want to give us this bike like many others i bought a 2011 F650GS and set it up the best i could for long distance touring. in addition to an aftermarket windshield (madstad) i put the aeroflow hand guards, duct deflectors and leg guards on my bike. this gives me very good wind/weather protection which is also easily removed to allow more air to reach me during the hotter months. a custom seat, rox risers, a set of jesse boxes and a givi top box and my "mini RT" is pretty much ready to hit the road the road.

would i like a real F800RT, yes but it would need to be better then my current bike in a few areas. belt drive is a must. a larger gas tank, even another 1 gal to extend the range a little would be great. although i have no problem with the alt output on my 650 a higher capacity alt would be nice. a manually adjustable windshield right from the factory along with some integrated, removable luggage would be on my wish list. i also would like to see a lower first gear and a taller sixth gear then what i have on my 650. if BMW would build this bike i would buy one tomorrow. whether they do or not is not up to me and until they do i will keep riding my "mini RT"

141956580.jpg

Back