Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: security on trips

Smile security on trips

staying at hotels on long trips what do you suggest to keep safe

I'm not sure I understand your question but I usually stay in motels when I ride alone, camping when with others if they want to camp. Keep the door locked and all should be okay. Common sense is the best policy. Was there more to your concern?
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

lastsix
    I usually try to stay at Mom and Pop's where I can park in front of the room door. If I stay at a bigger hotel with inside halls I usually ask if I can park the bike in the covered entrance to the hotel in view of the front desk. I always park the bike in a well-lighted area and cover it.

RK Ryder
    The odd time that I am at a motel in a questionable part of town, I'll put a cover over the bike. Must work as no one has yet to steal either beemer.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Pepper spray in an EASY-to-reach pocket.
    Hair spray or WD-40 (with the RED top, higher pressure) also work in a pinch.
    If things get really nasty, hold a lighter in front of (and just below) the spray.

Situational Awareness!!! Walk like you know where you are going; keep your head up and LOOK AT everything around you - no drone mode.

When unpacking the saddlebags into the room - do not display any contents, just carry the whole bag in. Makes it easier to repack the next morning, too.

Always lock your steering. Add a disk lock or a chain or cable, even if there's nothing else to chain down to (loop thru either wheel to the frame, and try to keep the lock itself off the ground, to make it more difficult to get a bolt cutter on it). Make it difficult for a thief, persuade him to go look for easier pickin's.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    The odd time that I am at a motel in a questionable part of town, I'll put a cover over the bike. Must work as no one has yet to steal either beemer.
    I don't think it is the cover as much as it is the kind of bike we ride. Crooks steal bikes for profit or fun. BMWs are not crotch rocket fun that young thieves like. They are also not good for chop shops because the demand for parts is low because there are not many around and owners tend to have them repaired at dealers with new parts. They are not valuable as a complete bike because there are not enough around to blend in with the hoards of Harleys and other bikes.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rocket bikes and Harleys are not the only high-theft-rate bikes:
    Dirt bikes get ripped off a lot too. They're easy to hot-wire, easy to strip, and easy to re-sell the parts for other dirt bikes.
    Even if you've got it in the pickup truck, chain it down!

Quote Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
    Are you planning to attend the MOA rally? There will be a really cool seminar on personal safety (actually a couple times) by Deb and Mike Gardner of Survive Institute. Teaches commons sense stuff and SIMPLE, effective person defense... requiring no special equipment.

... Pepper spray, and the like, works on someone who is simply trying to get your stuff, or you. But if you encounter a psychopath, or worse, someone wigged out on a mind altering substance, you may only make your assailant mad.

I've camped and traveled alone, and with my daughter. What I find to be most effective is to be aware of those around you and to trust your hunches. If someone doesn't "feel" right, pay attention. Make eye contact, show you aren't intimidated (find your inner warrior), a casual trouble maker will go looking for an easier target.

Most hotels will allow you to park your bike near the front door, so long as you don't block access. I usually ask the night clerk to keep an eye out.

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

Smile safety on trips

thanks for info worried about bike being stolen

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    As was alluded to above, BMW's are not high on the theft list. Not saying they don't get stolen, but very seldom. When "moving in" to your room, remove temptation from the bike, then cover it. Add a lock if so desired. Before you turn in for the night, give it a once-around look, bid it good-night, then call it a night. It will probably be there in the morning.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

thanks for info worried about bike being stolen
    A reasonably cheap and effective monitoring device for you bike can be made with Family Radio Service (FRS) radios. Most have a Voice Operated Transmission (VOX) mode. One radio set at the bike on VOX with the other next to your bed will alert you to things going on near your bike.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Keeping bike safe at hotels

Kevin Greenwald did a nice article in an edition of BMW ON last year.....not sure of the month. It would be worth review.

As I recall, his suggestion was to (or at least this is what I've done after reading his article):

1. be aware of surroundings & choose well-lighted motels where you can park in front of the room, if possible
    2. remove side cases, gps, etc.
    3. park on side stand, install disk brake lock, put on cover
    4. forget about night clerk keeping an eye on the bike, s/he's on facebook or sleeping
    5. make sure your insurance is paid up
    6. sleep good, you've done all you can short of bringing the bike into the room with you

Travel safe and have fun,
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Security

I've done that - brought bike into the room!
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

Jack Herbst
    When not in your room keep a radio or TV on. When in your room use your Permit To Carry a Conceled Weapon.

Use a cover at night for your motorcycle.

Don't go out walking at night alone. Take a Cab.

Why the recommendation above to park on the side stand? I've been putting my RT up on its center stand at motels, but I don't really have a good reason for it.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.