• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Passport Card

sddinnh

Anyone have any experience with the passport card being any faster or less of a hassle than using the regular passport at border crossings. I had to renew this year and got both. It looked like the card would be easier and more waterproof to carry on the bike.

Smaller and waterproof are the only difference. Functionally it works exactly the same as a passport, except it can't be used outside of North America. If you want faster and less hassle you have to get a NEXUS or similar card. The screening process for those is much more rigorous than for a passport as it includes a criminal background check, etc.

Passport card

I got one last year after mildewing my passport on a trip to Canada.
I have used it twice, no problems going into Canada. Still takes the same amount of time. Crossing back into the US, the USBP could not sense the RFID chip and I had to provide my driver's license. So slightly longer. :dunno

Long - short. Waterproof and fits in your wallet. Easy to carry.

BlackFly has a Nexus card, I don't.

The biggest thing we've noticed at various Maine border crossings is that the NEXUS dedicated lane
has not been open in several attempts-- he STILL has to go through the attended lane with me.
In theory, a great time saver-- in practice so far, no difference.

Also, the requirement that you present yourself and your new card for validation at a border station
within 30 days of receipt can be somewhat inconvenient. YMMV

Not worth the money or effort unless your only travel is to Canada. Go for the regular version, it is good for everywhere.

NEXUS/Passport

BlackFly has a Nexus card, I don't.

The biggest thing we've noticed at various Maine border crossings is that the NEXUS dedicated lane
has not been open in several attempts-- he STILL has to go through the attended lane with me.
In theory, a great time saver-- in practice so far, no difference.

Also, the requirement that you present yourself and your new card for validation at a border station
within 30 days of receipt can be somewhat inconvenient.
YMMV

Two summers ago, recovering from knee surgery and on restricted duty I worked in our NEXUS Enrollment Center at the Blue Water Bridge Crossing between Pt. Edward (Sarnia, ON, CA) and Port Huron, MI. Several comments: 1. There were so many applicants that sooner or later the benefit of having the card would cease: sometimes there are so many cars with NEXUS crossing the border that the non-NEXUS lanes are actually faster; 2. iRene: it may be a local requirement to bring the new card to the border; the applicants here are provided (with their card) a web address or telephone number so they can activate their card.

WRT the passport card - good only for land travel from/to Canada-USA-Mexico; and yes - the RFID Chips/Readers don't always work. It could have also been like my IDs - a beard on my passport, clean shaved on my Credentials so they wanted a closer look.

I am a Customs and Border Protection Officer; but please don't innundate me with "what if" or "what can I" questions; I will usually point you in the right direction, give you a link to our website, but I'm here like all of you; because I enjoy my Beemers and riding them!

It looked like the card would be easier and more waterproof to carry on the bike.

Which is why I use a heavy duty zip-lock bag for my passport.

The passport...good everywhere. That card would be of no use to me when I tour Europe.

Back