• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip To Yellowstone

brprider679

I'm trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone next year. I want to ship my bike to a point and ride it for a week. Week two my family will meet me and we'll vacation in and around Yellowstone for the next week. I've never visited this region of the US and need some detailed advice on where to go, where to stay, and the best way to make this happen.

I only have two weeks so riding out there isn't a possibility, however, I wouldn't be adverse to renting something if necessary.

Any advice is appreciated.

Might help if you fill-out your profile so people know where you are and what you ride. It is relevent to the answer you seek.

Some items for your consideration:

Ship the bike to Salt Lake City, ride north to Jackson Hole and through the South entrance to Yellowstone

Ship the bike to Rapid City, ride through the Black Hills, accross Wy to Cody, through the East entrance to Yellowstone

Ship the bike to Butte Mt and ride south to the Northwest entrance to Yellowstone.

Fly to SLC and rent a bike, etc.

If you could be a little more diffinitive more information can be supplied. What or where do you want to travel to/see/visit. Alone or with your family, etc.

bob

There are several nice rides to Jackson, WY from SLC. BMW of Utah has a rental business now, so it is possible to rent a bike here and ride up.

My favorite way to Jackson from SLC is over Mirror Lake Hwy SR 150 to Evanston, then pick up US 89 into Jackson.

In the Yellowstone area, roads you won't want to miss would include Chief Joseph Hwy from Cody (WY 296) to US 212 (The Bear Tooth Pass) :dance

Or, you can ride through the park and out the East entrance to pick up 212.

Riding in the park is slow going and there is always road construction of some sort. Inquire locally as you firm up your route plans.

Another beautiful road in the area to the West of the park is (from the North and West Yellowstone) US 20 to Mesa Falls Scenic Byway (SR47) to (SR 32) to Driggs.

You can pick up SR 33 to Victor and head over Teton Pass (I think) SR 22, back into Jackson.

Feel free to send a PM if you have any specific questions.

ALL of Yellowstone, and everything around it, is gorgeous.
Pictures do not do it justice, even in bad weather.
The road atlas will show the "figure eight" of the main roads, and they're all good (keeping in mind that there can be construction at any time, any place). Special caution if you have mag wheels... Loose gravel is typical in and near parking areas. There are also many little side roads in the park - they usually lead you to another waterfall, bubbling spout, or wildlife hangout. The ranger at the entry fee station will give you a detailed map; it is accurate.
Do NOT walk "outside" of the marked trails: the surface of the ground is "crusty" in many places, and if you break through, your leg will be boiled off.
If you don't see critters, you're going too fast. A bunch of cars pulled over to the side of the road is an indication of critters and Kodak moments.
Motels are mostly in West Yellowstone, and the cheaper ones are north of Madison Avenue. Right on Madison Ave and across from the police station is The Madison Hotel - tiny rooms with only a bed and a sink, bath & shower down the hall, but cheap and entirely adequate. Look for the funny-painted bison.
There is a KOA a little west of West Yellowstone; it is priced higher than the typical KOA but they have an excellent jacuzzi and pool. Their store often runs out of food; get your main vittles at one of the larger grocery stores in town.
Enjoy!
You'll be back.

A challenge

I'm trying to plan a trip to Yellowstone next year. I want to ship my bike to a point and ride it for a week. Week two my family will meet me and we'll vacation in and around Yellowstone for the next week. I've never visited this region of the US and need some detailed advice on where to go, where to stay, and the best way to make this happen.

I only have two weeks so riding out there isn't a possibility, however, I wouldn't be adverse to renting something if necessary.

Any advice is appreciated.

I would like to issue a challenge. I will ride my bike to your house and will leave your house at the same time you leave for the airport. I will meet you at the entrance to Yellowstone on my bike. If you beat me there, ON YOUR RENTAL BIKE, I will pay for your plane ticket. If I beat you, you will give me that amount in cash.

Airlines suck. Of course that is just my opinion.

You will have a great trip. Enjoy it.

Addendum to all of the above...

There are also motels in Gardiner (just outside of the original entrance, on the north/west corner), but I've enjoyed West Yellowstone more.
There are also campgrounds to the north of Gardiner, but I'm not familiar with them.
There used to be a KOA east of Moran Junction, south of Yellowstone & east of the Grand Tetons - I think they're now a privately-owned place; they were pretty OK last time I was on that side (many years ago).
"Camping" in Grant Village or Fishing Bridge is crowded and noisy, mostly RV's.
Jackson is more expensive and touristy, but has more non-rider things to do.
If you're by the Tetons, the ride up the tram just outside of (north/west of)Jackson is worthwhile, great view in all directions. Also, there was a "good dirt" road on the west side of Jackson Lake that was no problem for my FLH; it puts you between the lake and the sheer rise of the Tetons.

Do not try to see the whole place in a day or two... stick to the main roads & tourist areas if you are limited, but do it again next year and see different places...

Last edited:
Back