• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bloomsburg Rally Rides?

Gary_Busch

Anyone know when the MOA will post the rides around the rally this year? In years past they have come up with half a dozen local area rides and posted the maps and GPS files to download. Rally is less than 30 days away and I have seen nothing yet.

What gives??

Great first post :brow

There are three in the rally program. They were not done by me but I helped with photos which you will see in film at registration.

Here are two ride reports I did a while ago and I hope to have another to Eagles Mere and one through the coal region.........I want to add some more photos.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47514

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=49090

Pennsylvania Motorcycle roads.

www.motorcycleroads.us/states/pa.html

Thread discussing local roads.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50354

Rally Rides

Do you know when they will post to the MOA site? Will GPS files be included?

Surely there is one to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.

GB

Do you know when they will post to the MOA site? Will GPS files be included?

Surely there is one to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon.

GB

Gary I am not sure on the MOA site.

I hope its sorted soon for you but as far as the Grand Canyon area I think one of the roads north of Williamsport is closed for bridge(s) repair and I would stay way west of Towanda because of Natural Gas truck traffic gridloacks the area. The rally hospitality tent should have all this if everyone is last minute.

The rides I posted are downloadable on the hosting site.

There is great riding here.

Dont Ride in Towanda Pa

Guys with upcoming rally rides. If I were you I would stay away from Towanda Pa area. The traffic here is terrible due to gas drilling rigs and supply trucks. I was through there this week. I spent 30 minuites in traffic to just go 4 blocks. I stopped in local gas station the girl working there said it gets alot worse sometimes. I was all for gas drilling but having second thoughts, three times in one day sitting in traffic along roads being repaired with paving and guiderail work single lanes with flagmen. As I left town going east the backup was three miles long going west bound. I was glad I was going east. If you decide to ride Route 6 be prepared to find a detour around Towanda! Also use caution in northern counties as there is alot of truck traffic due to the drilling and the roads still need much repair. Stay safe see you at rally.

Guys with upcoming rally rides. If I were you I would stay away from Towanda Pa area. The traffic here is terrible due to gas drilling rigs and supply trucks. I was through there this week. I spent 30 minuites in traffic to just go 4 blocks. I stopped in local gas station the girl working there said it gets alot worse sometimes. I was all for gas drilling but having second thoughts, three times in one day sitting in traffic along roads being repaired with paving and guiderail work single lanes with flagmen. As I left town going east the backup was three miles long going west bound. I was glad I was going east. If you decide to ride Route 6 be prepared to find a detour around Towanda! Also use caution in northern counties as there is alot of truck traffic due to the drilling and the roads still need much repair. Stay safe see you at rally.

On the way to Ithaca yesterday we wanted to stop at our old favorite diner the Red Rose Cafe in Towanda. Then maybe stop at the Ben Franklin Store (That right a Ben Franklin). We moved less than one block in a half an hour. Due to gas related traffic over the Rt 6 bridge. We were told it is like that all the time. 1300 semis hauling water go though the town each day. Just a few years ago you could take a nap on main street. The one thing that we were never told about was the amount of traffic. Some call this progess. It will be the demise of the sleepy little Pa towns. Enjoy them while you can.

With 5 days to go I would hope that some one in the MOA has done some route planning in the area.

I use Ride with GPS http://ridewithgps.com/users/32685/routes the same has Statdawg for route planning. Feel free to down load and modify any files you need. Most of my route are from Red Rock Campground my home base. I like the 2011 BMWMOA Rally South Loop route the best.
iframe>

Here is a north loop with small back roads to Red Rock Mountain and return. Much fun to be had on these roads.
iframe>

enjoy
Tony

Motocamper:

From reading your GSP route details, is PA-339 really that bad w/ potholes? I plan to take it from Mahanoy City to Bloomsburg. (Approaching from the Allentown area.)

If 339 is not good, I could take PA-54 down to PA-42.

TY
JohnM

Greetings
JohnM Rt 339 from Zion Grove (the county line) to Rt 54 in Mahony City about nine miles is in bad shape even by PA standards. Solo on our RT is bearable, you will not break the speed limit. For GS riders they most likely would not notice (Statdawg any imput?), I would think a 1000RR would need to be very careful. It is only 9 miles of bad road, the rest of the route is great. I will ride that bad section again with out a second thought, but she will not ride it ever again.
The small coal towns along the route only add to the quality of the south loop ride. Rt 125 is great and most likely you will get to the end and turn around and do it again. There are already some MOA members in town today, maybe some ones else will offer some imput, before you arrive.
If you do not want to ride Rt 339 take Rt 42 to Rt 54 Rt 42 is a great road from beginnig http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania to end http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_End_State_Park. minus the Buckhorn Mall/I 80 exit.
Tony

I took 339 last week and there is a stretch past Zion Grove of rough and uneven pavement mainly because it doesn't get much sun but you can pick a nice line. I had to slow down under 50 in three places. If it looks looks like a hollow with a tree canopy then the road will be rough. I usually ride about 6 inches from the edge of the road because its smoother. I wouldn't avoid because the rest of the road is fun........the scenery alone make its a worthy approach.

Thanks for the information.

I think I'll stay w/ 339 (I'm on a R1200R) and if necessary, just throttle down where the pavement gets ugly.

PA-339 Report

Just filing a report on PA-339. Rode it up to Bloomsburg this morning,

The first 5 miles or so out of Mahanoy City appear to have been recently been repatched, and the outer half of each lane of travel has residual gravel. I passed a PennDOT sweeper that seemed to be brushing off the excess. Would have been very nice otherwise.

The middle portion was a little bumpy, but manageable. Runs parallel w/ Catawissa Creek. Shady & cool, which was most welcomed in this heat.

The upper portion, including Mainville Road after 339 bears off to the east was superb. Smooth as glass, with lots of twists & turns. Much fun!

Back