• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HAM Radio Remote Head Mount?

David R. McCoy

I am HAM Operator (KE7JEJ) & thinking about mounting my Kenwood TM-D710 on to my '99 R1100 RT-P. I can mount the base in to the Radio Box but am not sure what to use to mount the Head into to protect it from the WX. Are there and clear Lexan-type products made for this that you might be aware of? It would go somewhere behind the windshield and probably need a support mount from the Handlebars. Also, I am thinking about remote PTT controls using an Auto-Com system (yet to acquire). Any concerns?

Hi David, Gary, WB1GIW here. It's always a trick to weatherproof something like that. Pelican cases are excellent to start with. One that would be a good example can be found HERE Once you get a size that looks good a little trimming and perhaps some silicone and a grommet and your good to go. If there is an REI or EMS outdoor store in your area-they frequently have the smaller sizes in stock. There are some knock-offs but I find the Pelican cases stand up to more modification than the imitations. HTH Gary 73

Thanks, Gary, I'll check those out!
I also found some info on the RAM Mounts Aqua Box http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx. Dimensionally (internal), it appears that the Large would be the appropriate size.

73's

Hi David, Gary, WB1GIW here. It's always a trick to weatherproof something like that. Pelican cases are excellent to start with. One that would be a good example can be found HERE Once you get a size that looks good a little trimming and perhaps some silicone and a grommet and your good to go. If there is an REI or EMS outdoor store in your area-they frequently have the smaller sizes in stock. There are some knock-offs but I find the Pelican cases stand up to more modification than the imitations. HTH Gary 73

Like Gary said, whatever you do make sure you seriously waterproof the components. Although you already have a radio, perhaps consider the Yaesu FTM-10R, which is marketed as waterproof for outdoor activities. I like that they incorporated a PTT button on the remote head, which could be useful depending on where you chose to mount the head unit.

Let us know what you chose and how you end up mounting it.

73, KB2ZPT

Thanks, Craig! I am familiar w/the Yaesu unit and that might be another considertion.
When are you going to post a pic of your BMW on QRZ?

73, KE7JEJ

Like Gary said, whatever you do make sure you seriously waterproof the components. Although you already have a radio, perhaps consider the Yaesu FTM-10R, which is marketed as waterproof for outdoor activities. I like that they incorporated a PTT button on the remote head, which could be useful depending on where you chose to mount the head unit.

Let us know what you chose and how you end up mounting it.

73, KB2ZPT

I assume you are also into the APRS capability of this radio?

A caution on the Kenwood (I have a 700). Keep your eye on bike battery voltage if you'll be out for more than a couple of hours and are transmitting frequent beacons, especially if you're using the 50 watt power setting. DAMHIK

KA1TOX-10

A caution on the Kenwood (I have a 700). Keep your eye on bike battery voltage if you'll be out for more than a couple of hours and are transmitting frequent beacons, especially if you're using the 50 watt power setting. DAMHIK

KA1TOX-10

Instead,I use the new Kenwwood TH D72 (built in GPS)mounted on the bike..

Yeah, I was considering that Kenwood. I have it's predecessor, the TH-D7A/G and it too is APRS capable but w/out the built-in GPS. I haven't yet stepped in to GPS. I still rely on cartography.

When they discontinued the TH-D7A, I was wondering what they'd do for a replacement. Having the GPS in the radio is a huge advantage. It's quite the pain with cables, adapters, and a power feed to add GPS to the TH-D7A

If you're just looking for APRS capability, you might look at this from Byonics.

http://byonics.com/mt-rtg

It should be easy to hide under the bodywork and to waterproof.

Dave de WD5G

Thanks for the link, Dave. That's a pretty cool gadget. I used some of their earlier kits and they're well-made. I should get one for the cage.

As to my setup, I bought the TH-D72A and a Comet half wave dual band antenna. It's a manageable 27 inches tall, sits on the top box and gets out at least as good as the old 5/8 wave setup I had.

Short test run yesterday: http://aprs.fi/?call=ka1tox-10&mt=roadmap&z=10&timerange=3600

Back