• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speeding in PA

drummer

Frieden mit uns allen
I just drove from the NE corner of Penn to the western edge of the state. Let me offer a word of caution to all - I80 and I-81 have multiple police speed areas. Also, if it is a construction zone their REALLY HIGH speeding fines are doubled. Just a heads up for all. :usa

Eye protection

Also in PA when you get to a stop sign and it's hot out, don't flip up you shield if you don't have sunglasses on or you can get a ticket for no eye protection.
Even if you are not moving!

Also in PA when you get to a stop sign and it's hot out, don't flip up you shield if you don't have sunglasses on or you can get a ticket for no eye protection.
or not wearing a helmet. :whistle

The roads are also great north of the rally site near the towns of Dushore, Forksville, Eagels Mere and Tunkhannock. There is a State Police barracks on RT 220 and all the secondary roads are well traveled by the police. I have been in the area 5 times this month and saw police each time. However south of RT 118 to Bloomsurg I have seen none nor while riding any back road from the rally site into the coal region. :scratch

While in eastern Pennsylvania, if you come upon a slower moving vehicle in your lane they may start to wander, then its brake lights, and then turn signals coming on 1/2 second before they make their left swing ...... be careful not to pass.

Usually the hay harvest is over by rally time but in the country its not uncommon to meet an edge of a farm impliment in your lane, or a tractor trailer milk truck, or a hugh dump truck empty or filled with coal at speed or a back end of an Amish buggy while coming over a blind hill.

Horse shoes leave a distinct marking on pavement, be on the look out so you are less likely to be suprised when a horse/buggy are in the lane ahead of you. If you visit Lancaster County, remember that this is a huge tourist area as well as retirement area, so 1/2 of the cars on the road are looking at the sights not at the road, the other half can't see over their steering wheel. Many covered bridges, beautiful farms, fresh produce, just maintain safe habits and all senses alert.

Darryl,

The PA State Police are a pretty lenient group. We don't even have a helmet law and I just saw a Harley group block an intersection (PA Rt 45 and 144) and direct traffic against the traffic lights. I just can't believe you were ticketed for no eye protection.

Jon

Last edited:
Usually the hay harvest is over by rally time but in the country its not uncommon to meet an edge of a farm impliment in your lane,

Hay harvesting is purely a function of rain fall. In a wet year hay will be harvested several times.

Otherwise, your caution is well stated. Visitors should also be advised that our roads are narrow and, typically, do not have paved berms like in the Midwest. As such, don't always expect a full lane width and be cool with the bicycle guys. Someday, they'll be able to buy a motor.

Helmet shield

I am a very safety minded rider. I am 63 years old. If I am hot I will flip up my shield at a stop sign and if they want to give me a ticket so be it. I will take care of my person far better than a police officer can advise me how to. If a cop wants to give a ticket to someone there is no way to stop him. Too many laws with too many variables. I am sure if one follows me for a little while they can find something better than a face shield up to give me a ticket for.

Where in the Penal Code does it say that you have to wear eye protection while riding a motorcycle in the state of PA?

I never heard of this happening...

PA's no different than anyplace else. Slow down to 25 (or posted speed) where people live and stay with traffic elsewhere.

I can't believe that is common practice at all, just a rouge cop trying to throw his "power" around.

Probably has a manhood problem.

What I learned from my ticket in PA was that the state troopers are the only leo's using radar, once you get off their turf don't expect your radar detector to pick up a speed trap.

In my case I was trapped by a team of two local leos - one clocking over distance - and another up ahead in a car they radio ahead to for the pull over.

That said, I fought the ticket and got my moving violation changed to a simple failure to produce proof of insurance.
:thumb

-tp

What I learned from my ticket in PA was that the state troopers are the only leo's using radar, once you get off their turf don't expect your radar detector to pick up a speed trap.

In my case I was trapped by a team of two local leos - one clocking over distance - and another up ahead in a car they radio ahead to for the pull over.

That said, I fought the ticket and got my moving violation changed to a simple failure to produce proof of insurance.
:thumb

-tp

Correct ..however be aware of these as well..

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/328584.html

local speed enforcement

A lot of the regional and local police departments use the Enradd system. For those not familiar with Enradd a tall tail sign is the contraptions set up on each side of the roadway that have the appearance of being a runners hurdle. While easy to spot during the day the system works just as effectively at night. The Williamsport police department uses this system to monitor I180 within the borough limits.

http://www.yisinc.com/enradd.asp

Back