• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Pilot Road II vs III

Doug, Doug, Doug.... An oil thread can migrate to a tire thread but I don't see any way a tire thread can revert to an oil thread - well, maybe if we had a Star Trek warp drive....:thumb

Dilithium crystals unnecessary Steve ! Simply think Green !!

RECYCLING

tires

On my 2nd set of PR3's with almost 12k on this set with some tread left. Got my 30K coming up on 12 RT and will get new one's put on then. Great tire for me.

I had the 3's put on my RT during my 6K service last week and have to say that I really do love them. No more heart stopping moments when losing the front end or sliding mid turn after hitting one of the irregular road surfaces that we are famous for here in The lower NY area.

I was told at the dealer to run them at 36 / 42 and am curious about where the 40 / 40 recommendation came from? I'm 162 lbs and ride solo most of the time.

Thanks!

36/42 is what the owners manual calls for riding two up if I recall correctly. However, I have never found generally accepted pressures to suit individual riding styles or conditions.

I trashed a front wheel on my RS some years back, hitting an expansion joint that had a sunken asphalt entrance and a steel leading edge protecting the concrete side of the culvert. That joint was less than one inch high - the asphalt road is over a calachie vein that settled after a number of days of hard rain, but the concrete culvert remained at it's proper level. Not at all uncommon here in NM. I hit it at just over 75 mph, running just slightly above the flow of traffic on I-40 east outside Albuquerque in Tijeras Canyon. That joint has since been repaired twice I know of, and it's STILL like hitting a curb.

I was running 36 in front at the time. Back then, my dealer of choice was Deming Cycle Center - easily one of the best, if not THE best dealership - I've ever had the pleasure of working with [thank you Don Cameron]. The rim had to be replaced and was covered by insurance. At the time, Don told me to try running 40/40 to protect the rim. As it turned out, for my riding style and the crap roads we have here in NM, the added four lbs worked out great for me and actually decreased tire wear. The ride isn't as soft but on five high mileage BMWs, I've not had any more issues with damaging front rims since changing.

I check pressures every day I ride using either of two digital guages that actually read the same - they came from Roadgear:
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

I won't add air if the tires are at 39 lbs, but I will if they're any lower.

Works for me very well.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. It's clearly much warmer where you live so heat increase as the tires warm shouldn't be a problem here, I'll give the higher front pressure a try.

I've run three sets of each over the years.
PR3s and 2s grip pretty equal, though the 3s are a little more sure footed off pavement. I try to avoid the wet, but can't always do that. That said, the grip to me with more cautious riding seemed pretty equal in the wet.
I regularly got 10-11k from the PR2s and 13-15 from the PR3s. I run 39/41.
If you do your tire changes, both are far easier to change than Metzler/Pirelli.

The main difference I felt between the PR2s and the PR3s was the ride. The PR2s have a firmer ride, and the 3s "softer," not mushy or in any way detrimental to handling, but softer. They absorbed the bumps better.

If mileage does not matter to you as long as it's mostly descent, check out the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They stick and inspire confidence more than the PRs, but It looks like I am only going to get <8k from them.

John

This is of great interest to me, because I am about to receive my 2002 K1200RS back from my local dealership- with Michelin RPIIIs on it.

I am nowhere near the rider that some you guys are, and only rarely have been able to tell much difference from tire to tire. Well, except after having gone from the old Dunlops to Avon Road Riders back some time ago- on my 79 T140E Bonneville...

I also find interesting information here, on air pressure. This is something I've never paid strict attention to, but I'm changing my ways, having found my error in this regard. Just so I don't go starting an air pressure thread.... IS there one?
I would guess that pressure needs to be up somewhat for our newer, heavier bikes- in my case more pressure in my K100 and the K1200, slightly less in the R100, and perhaps slightly even less for my 74 Norton? Also, it seems obvious that one should increase pressure when riding two-up, also obviously under heavier loads, IE: when packed for a trip. As a general rule, I've always thought 32 F, 36 R was about where i needed to be. But maybe I need to rethink this? Maybe that's fine for the Norton, which I always ride solo.

RE: riding in the rain... I've gotten what seems like decent performance with Metzlers & Avons (ME- 880s & Storm/Azaro- respectively- K100), And Metzler Lasertec on my R100RS. Again, I'm not riding extreme miles, nor is my riding style what you'd call extreme.

I'm looking forward, tho, to experiencing these RPIIIs, and also seeing kind of mileage I can get out of them.

Thanks to everyone for your input in this thread.

I have PR2s and they have been great. 10K miles so far. But with no center groove, how do you tell when they are worn out? I commute to work on the freeway all the wear is on the middle. I would rather not wait until I see chord.

Thanks,
Scott

Got my K12Rs back with the new Pilot Road IIIs on. First impression, I like them. Solid feel, good ride, seem to corner effortlessly.... All pretty much the same as others have said before me. Haven't had them in the rain yet, but I'm prepared to feel secure at the very least.

I asked what kind of pressure they put in the tires, and got what I guess is the standardized BMW dealership answer: 36F, 42R.

I've read some other threads on PRIIIs and pressure, viewed commentary from folks with K12s, etc., in other forums... of course everyone has their own opinions, or enough experience that they make up their own minds what pressure they'll run. I don't ride TOO hard, and am often two-up. Neither of us are big or heavy people. I personally, in full riding gear, MIGHT top 160- if so, then barely. The GF weighs in at less.

Think I'll stick with 36/42 and see how it goes, unless somebody has a convincing reason or argument to do otherwise.

Rider88, I've also got a K12RS. Just put a PR3 on the front ahead of my 2000 mile trip to the RA rally. Felt much like the PR2 it replaced (8000 miles, but too thin to risk on this trip). Did notice some sensitivity to road snakes with the new 3s. Not enough wet road yet to evaluate that.
But I did note a hum from my front end which I thought might be the new tread pattern, but no one else has reported that, so it could also be a wheel bearing.
FWIW, this is a great high speed mile eater.

Rider88, I've also got a K12RS. Just put a PR3 on the front ahead of my 2000 mile trip to the RA rally. Felt much like the PR2 it replaced (8000 miles, but too thin to risk on this trip). Did notice some sensitivity to road snakes with the new 3s. Not enough wet road yet to evaluate that.
But I did note a hum from my front end which I thought might be the new tread pattern, but no one else has reported that, so it could also be a wheel bearing.
FWIW, this is a great high speed mile eater.

Thanks! I have gotten a few miles in on the new RPIIIs. They seem like great tires. Might actually suit up for a rain run with them, just to give them a go! I have several bikes, and no plans for any extended trips, til Sept- when I'm riding up to VT and back. I expect to get plenty of miles of smiles out of these.

Just returned from my first log ride on a set of PRIIs. Rode from Montana to Dawson City, YT and back. About 5000 miles. The tires performed well and I think the rear tire may have 2-3000 miles left in it. That's pretty good for a tire that has nearly 5000 miles on mostly chip sealed roads. Made the same ride last year, with an additional 1000 miles thrown in riding in Alaska, on some Pirelli Scorpions. I had metal cords sticking out when I got home on the rear and serious cupping in the front. A side note; I started running 40 PSI in the front tire of my R1200R and am now on my third front tire with zero cupping.

The PRIIs handle and grip well including in the rain; I have no issues there. They are, however, terrible in mud. No surprise I guess, but they made a few construction zones pretty exciting.

Back