• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally site selection put to membership vote

G

gadgetboy

I'm wondering if the MOA executive will be willing to give the membership at large a choice between 2 locations for upcoming international rallies. I know it's been traditionally 2 rallies back to back in the east and then one in the west. If this tradition is maintained, maybe we could be given a choice, for example: We could have been given a choice between Lima, OH and Burlington, VT, and then for the rally in the west, we could be given a choice of 2 western locations to vote on.

Why doesn't the rally selection committee put their choices to a general vote?

GadgetBoy said:
I'm wondering if the MOA executive will be willing to give the membership at large a choice between 2 locations for upcoming international rallies. I know it's been traditionally 2 rallies back to back in the east and then one in the west. If this tradition is maintained, maybe we could be given a choice, for example: We could have been given a choice between Lima, OH and Burlington, VT, and then for the rally in the west, we could be given a choice of 2 western locations to vote on.

I certainly can't speak for the rally selection committee since I'm not a member of it, but I do know just a bit in what goes on for rally site selection.

The logistics of a rally site for the MOA are not simple. Figure a good year there may be upwards of 6-8,000 people attending the rally. The site has to support that many people, plus the surrounding area has to be able to feed and to some extent bed down that many people. The site itself must have areas for vendors to display their stuff, and a meeting place large enough for the closing ceremonies. Camping areas are another necessity since lots of BMW riders prefer to camp.

Probably another consideration is the welcome the MOA will get from an area, and the concessions they may be able to get for the facilities needed for the rally. I think the final consideration is the number of MOA members who live within a 2 day ride of the rally site - more is better since that helps attendence.

That's the basics as I understand them - but I suspect that some dickering with the local officials must take place in order to have commitments from the local authorities to help have the rally at their location. I can see where this would be impossible to do if they site was going up for a vote. I do know that the site is usually surveyed at least 2 years in advance, and perhaps earlier. I can't imagine any local official committing to supporting and enabling a rally if they were told the site would be selected by a vote of the membership.

One thing I do know - the rally committee is VERY open to suggestions for possible rally sites, they can certainly use some local eyes/ears/knowledge and help. I'm also willing to bet that if you asked - you could become a rally comittee member, I don't recall there being a long line to get on the comittee.

Best,

Thats an interesting idea. However, with voter turn out for the 'MOA abysmally low, I wonder how effective that would be.

i agree with garth.

i'm also willing to bet that the vote would display a gaussian trend with favorable votes being a strong function of distance. i think the club is on the right track focusing on the two-day rule and alternating regions of the country. some years some folks go, some years they don't.

YB in IN said:
Thats an interesting idea. However, with voter turn out for the 'MOA abysmally low, I wonder how effective that would be.

I agree. So many of the club are willing to follow wherever lead. That might result in the rally being in some groups backyard year after year. I like the rotation system in place. How's that for the new "non-critical of leadership" me?

My two cents worth

My co-workers find it amazing that I rarely pick my own BIG vacation destinations.

In the old days, the location of "Next Year's Rally" was a well-guarded secret. It would not be announced until the closing ceremonies --- and I, for one, used to wait in the grandstands with everyone else, with great anticipation, wondering where I would be able to ride to next year. It was exciting.

And. do you know what is so cool about this concept? I never would have ridden to Flagstaff Arizona, nor Fredericksberg, Texas in the middle of the summer. (Or ever, as far as that goes....) I never would have chosen York, Pennsylvania nor Trenton, Ontario as "vacation spots" --- nor Midland, Michigan... but that was a great party - eh? :)

Each of the rally sites I have ridden to over the last 16 years have held their own beauty --- their own appeal. Who would have thought it????

I STILL look forward to each year's rally with great anticipation. And I thank the site selection committee for their "seemingly" random choices. I haven't been disappointed yet.

THIS YEAR, the beauty for the riders coming to the rally is in the quiet, rolling hillsides of Ohio. This is the "Heartland" --- so we hope the BMW riders will get off the slab and take in some of the scenery from the backroads. This year, roll OFF the throttle a little bit, and stop to smell the roses.

My two cents. I have been to all rallies since 1978 in Rutland and have been to parts of the country that I also would never have gone otherwise. A few thoughts:
1) Returning to the same site just does not make it (Missoula)
2) I also was very interested in where the next rally would be. I kind of miss that.
3) All sections of the country can get very hot in the summer even in the North
4) It seems to rain sometime during the rally in all sections of the country.
5) The rally committee has done an outstanding job in rally site selection.

In Board We Trust

Well, we elect the board and I have to believe the Board operates in the best interest of the MOA and it's members. Right? :dunno

I'll trust them to pick a site. And I'm happy they are electing to give the membership some insight as to where the 2006 location is.

I would like to see a extended projection as to the AREAS of the country future rallies will be - ie. in 2007 it will be in the Northwest, 2008 will be in the Midwest, etc.

I think the Rally sites have been nice locations and I'm looking forward to Lima. Even though I have been told there isn't very many exciting roads (I find that hard to believe by the way) I'm looking forward to a days ride to the Air Force Musuem and to just being away from the job and spending some time with my friends and making new ones.

GadgetBoy said:
I'm wondering if the MOA executive will be willing to give the membership at large a choice between 2 locations for upcoming international rallies. I know it's been traditionally 2 rallies back to back in the east and then one in the west.

I know Chuck Manley, Rally Site Selection Chair, has posted/listed in the ON, etc. The "zones rotation" information.

It's pretty tough to put something like that to a vote for the general membership because of the guidelines and requirements of amenities, etc. All members are encouraged to share potential site suggestions with the RSS team or BoD for invesigation. There are RSS Guidelines available upon request. As a rally enthusiast, I know I've found some great sites, and had trouble figuring out why we never chose them. (great roads, looked like a perfect site, etc., etc.) After further contact you may find they don't allow beer sales (how do you think that would fly?) :mad or there are only 500 motel rooms in the area, (I camp, but we need approx. 2000 motel rooms within a specified radius) :dunno
The RSS team also has to be cautious up through the point when all contracts are signed. If a facility knows they are in high demand, there's no opportunity for negotiaion.
You get the picture. We have representatives from all regions of the country on the RSS team, and they gather info from the membership and make recommendations based on the zone rotation guidelines.
Lima may not have been a member's 1st choice, but based on the RSS Team's recommendation, the Rally Chairs' experience, the activities, great facilities, and the help of our volunteer resources....it's going to be a great party...er.....rally :german

k75karol said:
Lima may not have been a member's 1st choice, but based on the RSS Team's recommendation, the Rally Chairs' experience, the activities, great facilities, and the help of our volunteer resources....it's going to be a great party...er.....rally :german

I agree that we shouldn't be too quick to pre-judge an area, just because it seems to lack awesome natural features. The bicycle club I used to belong to in Lansing, MI hosted the national bicycle rally one year. We felt very self-conscious about bringing in people from all over the coutry to an area with generally flat landscape, and the fact that we were only a relatively small town without some of the glitz of past sites. The participants who came, however, were thrilled with two things: first, the incredible warm and welcoming attitude of all the volunteers who worked to make everyone at home; and, secondly, the beautiful, rural, traffic-free roads leading to really neat small towns, small restaurants, etc. The rally was a tremendous success for everyone that attended.

We don't need no stinkin' mountains!

:twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :clap

Back