• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Posting on the Road - Best Way

CBrider

Hello,

I've got some family and friends who are interested in getting emailed pics and reports while I'm out on a ride the next few weeks and want to know if anyone here can offer advice about the best way to post pics while on the road. Right now I can certainly use my iPhone to take and post crappy pics when I am in range of 3g or WiFi, but I was wondering if anyone could offer some options for posting up the good photos I snap with my Canon S95. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Ah, but the eye-fi card now has an iphone/ipad and android app that can use the phone to upload. Still a better idea to use the eye-fi straight to wi-fi though unless you have a very good data plan or a low megapixel camera. I have my eye-fi go to public folders by date on my smugmug page. So if I'm on the road my wife and my folks can check there for images. I also tested autoloading them to Photobucket too.

Got the 8gb Pro X2 last night and had little trouble setting it up for my purpose. A bit confusing for a moment or two, but I got it.

The device offers a lot of various download options, but I only want it to send pics from my S95 to my iPhone for email or then to Photobucket for forum posts. I never had an issue transferring pics by USB from the camera to my computer, so I have not chosen to use that option.

Bottom line: it works perfectly! I snap a shot and it shortly appears on my phone. From there I can easily email or send it to Photobucket. Perfect for travel. As long as I've got WiFi or 3G asscess, I foresee no issues with staying in touch. Before the Eye-Fi recommendation, I was thinking the advice would be to get and carry a netbook or similar device on my trip. So glad that wasn't necessary, for several reasons.

The card cost $100, so it isnt cheap, but, again, for my purposes, it appears to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Digital camera, net book and an online photo storage service (Photobucket). Find a WiFi source (fairly easy to do) and you can be a regular online Ansel Adams.

We also travel with an iPad, but it is not as easy to use as a net book for the photo management process.

Find a WiFi source

Or if you have a Blackberry or other smartphone that will work you can just tether. I use my Blackberry tethered to my laptop all the time on travel, in 3G it actually does a pretty decent job. Coverage can sometimes be spotty in remote areas, but even connecting with Edge is OK for getting e-mail and web surfing with images turned off. Check your data plan before doing this lest you have a nasty surprise at the end of the month, I went for unlimited data with tethering :)

Two cameras

I always take two cameras - one is my point-and-shoot or my DSLR, and the other is the camera in my Droid X.

The "real" pictures are taken on a real camera and never see the light of day until they've been reviewed/edited/Photoshopped and then published AFTER the trip.

The "fake" pictures are taken with the Droid X and immediately uploaded to Facebook. Then my friends on Facebook have my location, posts, "check-ins" and photos all in one easy centralized location. They see I'm still alive, where I am, what I'm doing, etc., and then the "fancy photos" that will be the "real" record of my journey can be shown and presented the way I want them to look after I've reviewed the photos at home.

I have the camera adapter as well for my earlier version. Sometimes it works okay, but other times it spawns a message that that the device I attached requires charging and that is not allowed. My camera down loads with a USB connection (also included in the camera adapter). You may have better luck if you try it with the data card alone. It probably can be done once you figure it out, but I just chose to take along my net book; that way I can also use my GS 911, which is not iPad compatible.

I just got an iPad 2 and here is my comparison with the netbook.

1. Netbook Plusses
- can plug stuff into it! Like camera to download pictures, edit with photoshop (another netbook plus), then publish to my site with Dreamweaver (another netbook plus.) Like Garmin GPS to upload routes from Mapsource (another netbook plus), download the day's traclog, and upload new waypoints.
- Can tether from my blackberry into it to get Internet wherever I get a digital signal. I didn't want to buy yet another expensive monthly wireless plan so I went without the 3G in the iPad 2.
- Lots of programs I like (like the highly addictive CIVII) are not available on the iPad 2.
- Netbook is rugged, iPad not so much without expensive case and screen guard.
- Netbook through USB can charge my Blackberry, buetooth and iPod all at once
- MS Outlook and Word, yep I love them both, iPad 2 e-mail is OK though now that it has a universal inbox for multiple e-mails.
- 250gig hard drive.

2. iPad 2 Plusses
- Light and easy to use
- Screen is beautiful and shows movies with ease, the netbook sometimes stutters a bit.
- No better portable device out there for catching up on news sites and browsing the internet IF IT HAD Flash - really, no Flash???
- No need to carry iPod anymore, though to be fair the iPod is a lot easier to use with its 160gig storage and small, "pocketable" size - and it plugs into and charges off a netbook
- Excellent book reader app, really quite good.
- Lots of cool aps, though to be fair I really have not found any that I use other than the Comcast XFinity and Angry Birds.
- Built in GPS

Both have Bluetooth and 6+ hours battery life.

So, for traveling especially on the bike I will stick with the netbook and leave the iPad 2 for use at the office and the back porch.

Just got back from a two trips...

the first with my wife in AZ and the resort we stayed at was transitioning from one internet supplier to another and the four days we were their they only had hard line internet - no wi-fi so my iPad was less useful than it could have been with no internet capability while my wife's netbook could be connected with a LAN cable as well.

The second trip was all motorcycle with two riders - both with iPads. We did great until we got to Las Vegas of all places. The only place on the strip with wifi was the McDonalds!

So iPad with a cell plan or tether may be required in some areas that a netbook without a mobility plan would still be okay... but I do love my iPad. :heart

I have had my Ipad II for about a month now. I also bought the camera connection kit so I could send photos from trips. The kit works fine, I can download photos directly from the SD card to the Ipad. I can also download the photos later from the Ipad to my home computer (Mac) using another program that I purchased.

My problem was, I did not know how to reduce the resolution on the Ipad to smaller email size. The files are still full size (about 5.6meg from my camera) and I can only email one or two at a time. From my home computer I can select the size to email (actual, large, medium or small).

I just found an app that allows the pictures to be resized by a percent, to a set amount, or any amount you want. It is called Resizer and sells for $1.99. It works well, I was able to reduce the photos and email them without saving them again in the new size.

Wayne

Last edited:
posting photos from the road

i have found that the chip in my great Lumix 16x by Panasonic is a perfect fit into my iPad which then can upload to my iphoto from there to the Mobile Me cloud or email them anywhere. Obviously need 3G or 4G coverage, but available most places including Big Bend in my experience. The only question is how soon and how often. I usually do it at nite prior to bedtime. It is very easy and refreshing to review the days pics.

I use my Iphone 4S with 8mpx camera and shoots 1080 video..I then use app called
"off exploring" with allows you to post and blog and pics to a website that friends and family can view for free and you can also link to facebook. Simple and easy.

Back