• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Time to change the battery?

damons

I have a 2009 F650GS (twin) that I bought used. Total mileage is now 12,500. Lately my LED battery gauge seems to have dropped slightly when riding. For the last year it has shown one green LED (12V) with the second green (13V)flicking on and off at times. Now it has dropped one light to the second yellow LED (11V) with one green coming on from time to time. It has even dropped down below 10V once about a week ago immediately after shutting off the engine.

Is it time to change the battery? Have read on the forums about sudden battery failure and I don't want to get stranded.

12,500 miles / 2 years on a battery seems like a short life for a pricey battery. Any recommendations on replacement if that is needed?

This is the guage I am using:
http://www.aerostich.com/prevent-or...-chargers-and-monitors/led-battery-gauge.html

The voltage when cranking is a much better indicator of battery health,

Personally I think people are too picky about monitoring battery voltage, if it cranks strong, run it, my battery is is going on 8 years and 46K miles, still going strong. And yes sudden battery failure can occur, but 95% of the time that is do to a physical failure of the internal buss, which has NOTHING to do with voltage, amperage or charging.

The voltage when cranking is a much better indicator of battery health,

Personally I think people are too picky about monitoring battery voltage, if it cranks strong, run it, my battery is is going on 8 years and 46K miles, still going strong. And yes sudden battery failure can occur, but 95% of the time that is do to a physical failure of the internal buss, which has NOTHING to do with voltage, amperage or charging.

thanks. Summary: when it has problems cranking then change it?

thanks. Summary: when it has problems cranking then change it?
I have now changed opinion on the battery thing. I posted THIS not to long ago about the battery on my F-800gs. It boils down to there is very little warning. HTH Gary

I have now changed opinion on the battery thing. I posted THIS not to long ago about the battery on my F-800gs. It boils down to there is very little warning. HTH Gary

thanks.. the other post was one of the things that led me to post mine. I hoped that some additional warning signs were known and could be passed on.

Back