• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sequoia National park June 2011

crapdealerbob

After 10 long weeks, the Beemer was finally repaired. I picked up the bike Thursday afternoon and 2 hours later Donna & I were headed out of Vegas. We had planned on going to Evanston, WY., but when the bike wasn't ready by Wednesday, we had to change our plans. We decided to take a short 3 day trip to the Sequoia National Park in California.

Our route, blue arrows going, red arrows coming back home.

canvasa.png

Enjoy the pics and narrative...

The bike is finally ready

I had a new set of LED lights added for night driving and better visibility for other drivers to see us

DSCN2323.jpg

We spent the night in Primm, NV. and were on the road this next morning by 7am. The new LED lights refused to work - I was a little miffed, but figured a connection must have come loose, but we headed out anyway..I got to celebrate my birthday with the best present I could have had, riding the BMW with Donna. NOTE: the lights worked fine, I have to have the bright light on for them to work.

Our first stop was at a fifties diner called Peggy Sue's east of Barstow at Yermo, CA.

It was a really great place, with a lot of Hollywood memorabilia and playing all 50's Rock & Roll music, I got to eat with the "King"

The food was great, service was fast, and the prices very reasonable. We will stop here again..

DSC_0038-1.jpg

We had a hotel booked in Tulare, CA., and took a scenic loop out of the way and off the freeway to enjoy some canyon riding on Hwy 178

DSCN2339-1.jpg

DSCN2329-1.jpg

The highway followed a river from Lake Isabella to Bakersfield and we stopped a couple of times to enjoy the river whitewater.

DSCN2356-1.jpg

We arrived in Tulare, CA. After checking in to our hotel, it was time to have my birthday dinner. We ate at the 'Cool Hand Luke's" steakhouse. An onion blossom, & steak, along with a frosty cold adult beverage.

DSCN2381-1.jpg

The next day we are off to the park. It had clouded up overnight and looked like it might rain, but off we went..

DSCN2384-1.jpg

We stopped in Three Rivers and had a nice breakfast outside.

DSCN2389-1.jpg

Another National Park, with the required picture, and another refrigerator magnet to add to our collection.

DSC_0039.jpg

There was only one construction area, had about a 25 minute wait, other than this one spot, roads were good.

DSCN2426-1.jpg

Big trees...overcast though.

DSC_0045.jpg

The "General Sherman" sequoia....a long downhill hike, didn't do well with my motorcycle boots.

DSC_0047.jpg

The walk back up the trail took it's toll...

DSC_0050.jpg

We had planned on riding into the Kings Canyon National Park, but the weather looked bad, it started to sprinkle, and it was getting colder, so we decided not to ride into the park.

DSCN2390.jpg

We didn't get very wet, but headed back.

We enjoyed dinner at Chili's, and finally had our chocolate lava birthday cake, with ice cream.

DSCN2431.jpg

The next morning we had to head back, took freeways all the way back. We stopped just outside of Edison, CA. at the Murray Family farm and had breakfast. They made a scrambled egg, ham, and cheese - then fried it inside a pie crust, wow, was that good.
They had fresh blueberry cobbler, that we had them warm up, delicious!

DSC_0054.jpg

Taking a cold drink break at a rest area...boy, the Beemer looks great.

DSCN2433-1.jpg

Our last stop was a the Calico ghost town, just north of Yermo, CA. It was an old mining town that had been restored.

DSC_0055-1.jpg

We walked the town, stopped and had a cold drink on the front porch of the Calico House restaurant.

DSC_0060-1.jpg

Did I mention it was getting hot? With the town in the background, we had another cold drink.

DSC_0069-1.jpg

One last tourist shot of us in the town..

DSC_0075-1.jpg

Another 100 miles and we were back in Las Vegas. A fun trip, even if it was a little short.

985 miles round trip.

Back