• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cjolumbia Gorge Historic Highway

bob_m

Columbia Gorge Historic Highway

This road is only 1/2 hour from down town Portland. It was built between 1913 and 1922 by Sam Hill through the Columbia River Gorge. The intent of the road was to provide motorists with a passtime as well as to create a transportation corridor. This section is very special, on the west end of the gorge this 2.6 miles drops from the plateau down to the river level.

Attachments

• road1.jpg
    road1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Crown Pt

This is the Vista House that is perched on the looping point on the map

Attachments

• pt.jpg
    pt.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
Narrow and curvey

This is no place for sight seeing

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 64
Barn Fire

When you get out you see stuff happening

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 63
Big country

North of the Columbia River and at the East edge of the Gorge, the Klikitat river cuts a beautiful canyon down the flank of Mt Adams. See the road 3 miles down the canyon? (my favorite day ride)

Attachments

• klikitat.jpg
    klikitat.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 63
Man O Man I'd love to live up there! Maybe I will someday, but those cool pix aren't making TexSux look any prettier!

Columbia River Gorge

If you go a little farther up the Columbia River, just past Hood River you can again cut off on a great road. This is a portition of the old highway which follows the clifts to The Dalles, thru town and onto Biggs, where it is consumed by the freeway.

Attachments

• P5260118.jpg
    P5260118.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 34
Another view, the last one went some place else so I'll try again.

Back