• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Try hard here, please!!!

Polarbear

Polarbear
This forum page, section is a cool idea, so please try hard to keep r alive. Off the beaten path is always a neat phenom that most enjoy when the ops exist to go there. Wish I had a computer to share much of my data/photos and have been lacking in this area for toooooo long. My country home and phone line link is so poor, I'm ashamed to admit my lacking here:(. Maybe I should catch up with tech! Those that are with the latest, I sure appreciate the reads in this page/forum section, so help me keep it alive. My GSA1200 is Eastern bound soon for many points I've yet seen, as I always try to find new, out of the way places along my routes. The southern plan for me this year, Cal to Mississppi, following the Gulf Coast and N. from Miss. to points towards PA Rally site. I guess that GPS W.VA coordinates in the 'ON are worth finding:). Close to my homelands, my first 25 years:). I'm gonna load up my digital camera to its max, all along my travels and hope somebody can share them with me when I arrive. May have to download some to disk along the way. The RA Rally in W.Va a few years ago had me in the woods of that state, way into the woods deep and a remarkable feeling of solitude on the GSA there in the green forests. Seeing it again soon is like a child at Christmas time memory coming alive, so see ya'll somewhere East soon:). This red/white GSA1200 is not likely to look so pretty, with all its dirt gleaming pride, but I should be in good company with a few like minded GS folk:). Happy Trails, Randy

Good idea Randy and thanks for the effort. Out here in Taxachucetts we get a pass because fun stuff is frequently frowned upon especially fun stuff with a engine. This is an excerpt from the YB site...

I won't bore you with all that it says but the parts I have issue with are:
1. No one under 10 can ride any OHV, this will eliminate the pee wee class at many events.
2. You have to carry written permission from the land owner with you anytime you are off road.
3. Any vehicle ridden off a public way has to be registered with the DELE (ATV sticker).
I paid the state sales tax and registration fees to plate my trail bike, now I also had to pony up an additional $40 to get ATV stickers for it. This applies to any land public or private, including closed courses. So any of the national pro riders that plan to come to Southwick for the AMA pro races this summer will have to pay MA sales tax and register their bikes with MA. If they have a factory ride that means that Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi, or KTM will have to come to either Boston or Worcester (the only 2 places in the state) to register the bikes before racing. They would then have to affix the sticker on the cowling, where the law says that there can be no other stickers or markings. So no AMA plate #'s, no sponsor stickers.

The full thread HERE

It's a shame as kids that have an opportunity to start riding early in life gain so much. They learn the care and maintenance of their bike including regular cleaning and cosmetics and mechanical skills that will stay for a lifetime.
The above mentioned new regulations effectively put an end to most of the off the beaten path activity here in MA :cry Gary

I've heard Mass Tax!

Its been told over the years, Mass.IS one of the worst(highly) taxed states in the USA:(. Guess its true! I enjoyed a ride through Mass. a few years ago, but all paved as I toured the USA on my R100/7 Classic. I rode across the state, East to West, using a lot of backroads and departing Mas. at the Vermont border. Very pretty byways:). Anyhow, Mass's. TAX/Fee's rep. is well known across the USA and makes news on occasion. See ya in PA for the Rally. Randy

Enjoyed my time in the MA biotech arena while there but don't regret leaving.

Sold my modest house in Andover to the first guy who looked at it for double what I paid for it 3 years earlier and then had a nearly impossible time finding a place in eastern NC at the same price so I could avoid the capital gains tax. Had a choice of things like 8,000 sq ft places on the fairway of the local country club, etc..and ended up building a custom. Eventually I moved outrside of an NC city and property taxes dropped to not much more than pocket change levels - a pleasant change from my first place in NY where a $54K house got a $4.5K tax bill every year (no wonder there are so few new houses in upstate NY that evey one of them is instantly visible). MA at least has superb universities that drive a lot of its economy and a total surplus of highly talented underpaid college grads - I used to have a lab in MA with nothing but Harvard, Tufts and MIT grads as my techs- what a talented crew they were!

Used to take my Honda V-4 from Andover to Cambridge on the commute down 93- The Boston area is certainly an adventure for motorcycling.

Last edited:
the last three posts have What to do with the OP's topic???

I think this thread belongs in Jo Momma... :laugh

RM

Smile:)

Doesn't that three letter word, Tax, bring out the worse in us. Can't be avoided sometimes, but right on, the topic was sidetracked just a tad! Keep r alive, regarding my topic is more fun to talk about:). Any interesting "Off the Beaten Path" Tales would be better, huh. The National Rally this year should bring forth some interesting stuff, regarding this section of the Forum:). We begin soon. My cross country USA adventures always include dirt riding, as the urge strikes. See a neat dirt byway, go there:), as long as I'm headed in my general direction of purpose:). A couple on my soon list are; White Sands, NM., offroad there my 2nd time, NRim Grand Canyon offroad, Texas Coast around Galveston to LA State line beaches access, always an adventure on a fully packed 1000lb GSA. Last year at The Outer Banks,NC proved that:):):), Jeep towed me out and my speedo quit in the sand. My NC12 experience, I laughed...Anyhow, on to PA Rally with a few more dirt adventures forthcoming. Happy Trails, see ya'll in PA., Randy:thumb

Randy since we are on taxes what about deductions ? Didn't you have family responsibilities this summer and almost didn't join your dirt family in Pennsylvania ? Whats the dirt on your deductions or are you claiming dust this summer ?? :wave

Remember you are not getting the milage write off this year ? :brow And if you win that bike it maybe income.

:hide

Back