• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why are most jackets and pants black?

PattiB

Patti B
I often wonder why most motorcycle apparel black or if it's multi colored the arms are black or the tops of the arms are black or another dark color?

Didn't the manufactures ever hear the warnings when it's hot out "wear light colored clothing?"

And don't we know of any high tech fabric that keeps the sun from broiling you in your jacket and pants or one piece suit? How about some reflective properties in the garment to help us not feel like a baked chicken when we arrive at our destination?

Vents in the right places make sense too. If they are on my chest, and I am behind my windshield that really doesn't do me any good.

I did hear of one jacket that has some fabric that breathes when you're hot and conserves heat when you are cold....but I think it comes in Black and Black......:D

I don't need to look like an outlaw when I ride. It isn't a fashion show for me it's about comfort and safety.

It's gonna end up black anyway, so they're just speeding up the process.

Basically three reasons:

1) Fades the least of all dyes, so still a popular (and inexpensive) color option for manufacturers

2) Jackets tend to get dirty with wear - black is one less 'region' to show dirt

3) Still some 'tradition-clinging' to the original colors of motorcycle apparel from a bygone era

Good luck finding something that you like. :thumb

The big question to me is, why did I BUY black colored mesh jacket and pants...??

There are other options out there...but I didn't buy them...:doh
I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh....:p

The big question to me is, why did I BUY black colored mesh jacket and pants...??

I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh....:p"

Don't feel bad I fell in to that category also BUT recently bought an Olympia Bushwacker jacket, bright yellow! Living Georgia I'm sure black will absorb lots of heat and also with the bright jacket no one misses me. If they do, they shouldn't be driving!
It is a well ventelated jacket with all the armour.

Why did I buy a silver Transition 2 winter jacket??? It can't be machine washed or dry cleaned. I should have bought a black one.

me, too

I was thinking about this very thing when I was out yesterday in near 90?? weather in my black mesh....:p

me too:blush

not black, not neon either

i an a HARLEY stripped softail guy. i don't wear the black darth vader crap. i am beauty.
i am also a R1200RT guy. i wear schuberth C3 and technical riding gear from bmw motorrad.
simply because i'm old and if i fall off, i know i'll come apart, and it's gonna hurt. my riding skills are poor.
pain purifies, but i'm already pure enough. jp

Why did I buy a silver Transition 2 winter jacket??? It can't be machine washed or dry cleaned. I should have bought a black one.

I have a silver Transition 2 and wash it on gentle using the Nikwax Tech Wash product.

Black areas came out a bit grey but that has since worn away. I'd wash it again tomorrow if it needed it.

Zips Location

Patti -

I bought a great FirstGear jacket and pants (In black, of course!) many years ago, and

IT HAS ZIPS AT THE FRONT ELBOW AREA, which absolutely, positively, give a rush of air across my CoolVest when needed. Or, they zip shut and are airtight (just "mostly" watertight in heavy rain) for colder weather and the electric Vest of Pleasure..

As I've since found out, finding a jacket with this (obvious, to me) hugely useful feature is RARE. People look at me as if I'm nuts to wear this ALL-SEASON jacket in the desert when it's (no kidding) 110 degrees, but a Camelbak and a Cool Vest and vented elbows have gotten this old bod across the summertime Mojave multiple times without incident.

I have NO idea why so few manufacturers have not got this one figured out. No idea. If I ever have to buy another jacket (thinking Hi-Viz yellow), I'll probably find a tailor to ADD these zips. Yeah, they make that much difference.

Walking Eagle

I bought one black BMW jacket.:banghead

I will never, ever, ever, buy a black riding garment again. Period.

Manufacturers, are you listening????:ear:ear:ear

My first jacket was black. Cheap as well. That's why I bought it. I still wear it when I don't want to wear my heavy Rally II, or my mesh Hi Vis. It is just way too hot in the summer though, even with all venting open.

I machine wash mine, no problem.

There are two things you need to be careful about. Regular laundry soap will destroy goretex, so use the appropriate NikWax product. You also need to mate all the velcro parts together so the hooks don't tear up the nylon fabric.

Aerostich Transit Two-Piece Suit: it's leather but is specially made with a "solar-reflective pigment" that will "wear up to 30 degrees cooler." Also waterproof. If it's as good as the other Aerostich riding gear, it's excellent. I haven't tried one but spoke with another rider who had one and he loved it. Oh yea, it $1,595.

My Olympia AST jacket was substantially cheaper and in high-viz yellow is impossible to get or keep clean.

pete

Back