• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Day Ride to Kernville/Lake Isabella

S

SNC1923

Day Ride to Glenville/Lake Isabella

After a torrential rain storm on Friday and some black clouds on Saturday, Sunday turned out to be a beautiful California day. With all our rain the wildflowers are starting to bloom and everything is green!

So I joined a friend and his buds on their rockets for a ride in the mountains. I kept a slower, more relaxed pace and enjoyed some really nice scenery. Thought you might, too.

What way to go, which way to go? :dunno

17018271-L.jpg

A brief stop on a road out of Oildale leading to the 155.

17018276-L.jpg

This is what the road is like the whole way to the lake. Great riding, but quite a bit of sand in the corners which made for slow going, at least for me.

17018294-L.jpg

There was quite a bit of this matter on the side of the road. I stopped to see if I could identify it. Cold, wet, quite unpleasant. I left it where it lay and rode on. :stick

17018300-L.jpg

After miles of twisties, I finally came upon the lake which is quite full after all our rain.

17018348-L.jpg

The current issue of RoadRunner magazine features four day-rides (a cloverleaf tour) out of Bakersfield and they gave Nelda's an honorable mention. I second it: great burgers! :thumb :thumb

17018352-L.jpg

Now well fed and ready to head home, we turned onto the 178, a twisty, in places treacherous, canyon road that parallels the Kern River.

17018364-L.jpg

Again, loads of twisties. Lots of traffic today, especially the two-wheeled kind.

17018372-L.jpg

Finally, it would seem, spring is here!

17018378-L.jpg

A couple of shots of the Kern churning down the valley. . . .

17018387-L.jpg

17018404-L.jpg

17019052-L.jpg

With temps in the low 80s, my bug collector was working overtime today.

17018413-L.jpg

One last look before heading home.

17018408-L.jpg

:wave

Last edited:
Yes, thank you Tom. I enjoyed the pictures, it gives me hope that spring may actually be here within the next year.

I did get in 10 hours of quality slab time this weekend. I went to monkeybutt's place for a birthday party he threw for his wife. 27 F when I left, 33f when I arrived 5 hours later. I left in mid 40's, and arrived home 4 hours later in the low 40's.

I am ashamed to show pictures of my bike, it is truly filthy since the first half mile was on a mostly snow covered gravel road. I have decided to ride on the snow to get out where there is good riding to be had. No problems with it so far, but I wont set any land speed records doing it.

After seeing pictures like that it makes me realize that I really should move to California as soon as possible.

lorazepam said:
I went to monkeybutt's place for a birthday party he threw for his wife. 27 F when I left, 33f when I arrived 5 hours later. I left in mid 40's, and arrived home 4 hours later in the low 40's.

You're a better man than I. Hang on--Spring is around the corner! :clap

great shots - thanks for sharing them. how does that old song go....california dreamin' ...on such a winter's day.

Sigh..........we are in the middle of a snow storm!! Thanks for sharing these great shots........ :thumb

Back