Thread: Day Ride to Kernville/Lake Isabella

Talking Day Ride to Glenville/Lake Isabella

After a torrential rain storm on Friday and some black clouds on Saturday, Sunday turned out to be a beautiful California day. With all our rain the wildflowers are starting to bloom and everything is green!

So I joined a friend and his buds on their rockets for a ride in the mountains. I kept a slower, more relaxed pace and enjoyed some really nice scenery. Thought you might, too.

What way to go, which way to go?

A brief stop on a road out of Oildale leading to the 155.

This is what the road is like the whole way to the lake. Great riding, but quite a bit of sand in the corners which made for slow going, at least for me.

There was quite a bit of this matter on the side of the road. I stopped to see if I could identify it. Cold, wet, quite unpleasant. I left it where it lay and rode on.

After miles of twisties, I finally came upon the lake which is quite full after all our rain.

The current issue of RoadRunner magazine features four day-rides (a cloverleaf tour) out of Bakersfield and they gave Nelda's an honorable mention. I second it: great burgers!

Now well fed and ready to head home, we turned onto the 178, a twisty, in places treacherous, canyon road that parallels the Kern River.

Again, loads of twisties. Lots of traffic today, especially the two-wheeled kind.

Finally, it would seem, spring is here!

A couple of shots of the Kern churning down the valley. . . .

With temps in the low 80s, my bug collector was working overtime today.

One last look before heading home.

Last edited by SNC 1923; 03-07-2005 at 02:56 AM.

Atlanta 'burbs
    Thanks Tom! Great stuff!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    West Salem, OH
    Yes, thank you Tom. I enjoyed the pictures, it gives me hope that spring may actually be here within the next year.

I did get in 10 hours of quality slab time this weekend. I went to monkeybutt's place for a birthday party he threw for his wife. 27 F when I left, 33f when I arrived 5 hours later. I left in mid 40's, and arrived home 4 hours later in the low 40's.

I am ashamed to show pictures of my bike, it is truly filthy since the first half mile was on a mostly snow covered gravel road. I have decided to ride on the snow to get out where there is good riding to be had. No problems with it so far, but I wont set any land speed records doing it.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    State of Confusion
    Thanks for the pictures!

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Bloomington, Indiana
    After seeing pictures like that it makes me realize that I really should move to California as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam
    I went to monkeybutt's place for a birthday party he threw for his wife. 27 F when I left, 33f when I arrived 5 hours later. I left in mid 40's, and arrived home 4 hours later in the low 40's.
    You're a better man than I. Hang on--Spring is around the corner!

Ada, MI (outside Grand Rapids)
    great shots - thanks for sharing them. how does that old song go....california dreamin' ...on such a winter's day.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!

Marin By God County, California
    155 and 178....Yummy!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

I love the mountains in CA when they're green!

Thanks for the great pics.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 G650 Xchallenge || '06 HP2e

Ottawa, Canada
    Sigh..........we are in the middle of a snow storm!! Thanks for sharing these great shots........
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy":