• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top case for the R65?

HERRBAYEMVAY

Lovin' my CLC!
Does anyone know if BMW makes a top cse that will fit on a 1984 R65? I'm going to be purchasing one this weekend, and it has the BMW hard luggage, but I would also like to add a top case as well, one preferably large enough to hold a full-coverage helmet. I guess I could buy an aftermarket top case, but would really like a "genuine" article from BMW, if they offer one, that is. Feel free to reply to my e-mail address if you prefer, which is:

jgjanssen@charter.net

Danke sehr!

John

Please don't do it. Those short wheelbase bikes don't like a lot of weight high and rearward. Helmets fit just fine in the side cases.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't have thought that the weight of the case with a helmet would be enough adversely affect the R65's handling, but I'm not qualified to even guess if it would or not. Do you know if the BMW hard luggage is wide enough for a full-coverage helmet to fit inside and have the luggage close and lock? I didn't think the case would allow for a helmet to fit inside, which is why I was thinking about a top case in the first place. I don't like the idea of hanging a helmet in the little hook inside the seat to lock it, so I felt that a top case might be the answer.

John

Jon,

I noticed that you also have an R65. I posted a thread on the Airheads forum about the neutral light being absent on the bike I'm buying, and was hoping to get some feed back on the inquiry. If you have any opinion or knowledge on the neutral light repairs, I'd appreciate it!

John

I do not have any knowledge of the function of the Airhead neutral switch, but if you do a search in the archives at r65.org, its been a topic in the last six months or so.

Back