• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aftermarket Seat - Waterproof?

dbrick

rabid reader
I just got my first aftermarket seat (from Rich's in Kingston WA) in 38 years of BMW riding. It's just swell.

Stock seats have one-piece vinyl covers, which (if not punctured) are impervious to rain. The new seat is also covered in vinyl, but there are two sewn seams, with the resultant series of small needle holes. It doesn't rain a lot in Santa Cruz, and the bike lives in a garage...but I plan a long trip this fall, and I wonder if I should seal the seams (as I might a backpacking tent) or provide a rain cover for the seat when the bike is parked. I don't have any desire for a cover if one isn't needed to keep water off the seat.

What's your experience with this issue?

A quality seat maker will use a plastic barrier between the cover and the seat foam to prevent it from being a sponge. That said, a little water can get to the inside of the vinyl and leach back out.
I've successfully use Sno-proof ( boot waterproofing) on leather and vinyi seats to seal the seams. Treatment seems to last 6-8 weeks. It's a Beeswax product that will leave a nice, nonslippery shine, and has not stained any clothing in my experience.
Spread a layer on the seams & seat, hit with a hair dryer to liquify it, rub it in and let it cool off. Wipe off the excess and ride. Don't melt the vinyl with the heat!

Camping stores sell a latex based sealant for canvas that could be used. Nikwax glove proof night also work.

Back